Hi, I was wondering if there were any scales that went up and down the fretboard horizontally, I've been playing for about 7 months and every scale I find online is like just up and down the strings and it mostly stays on the same frets, I don't know if you have to connect scales or if there are bigger and longer scales than the ones I'm learning, can someone explain to me if there are any scales that do run up and down the fretboard and if so can you show me a website or name me some?

Thanks.

If this is the wrong place to ask, I'm sorry in advance.
D;
Last edited by ughhhhhhhh at Dec 25, 2008,
Not really, I'm no expert on all on all the scales but there made of certain notes which require you to move up/down the strings. You can play up the string but you'd be jumping a lot of frets to get to each note.
All scales go both horizontal and vertical, because they're just patterns of the same notes. Find a scale (eg. the minor pentatonic), figure out what notes there are in it, and then just find every note in that scale on the guitar, and you can do horizontal runs from there.

http://jguitar.com/scaledictionary.jsp

Try that for some scales. I would recommend the blues scale to start.
haha I asked that wrong, Ok you know how the e minor pentatonic scale starts on the 12th fret on the 6th string then goes to the 15th fret so on and so on, then on the first string it ends on the 15th, it started in the 12th fret for all the strings, I was wondering if scales existed that started on the 12th fret of the 6th string and ended on the 3rd fret of the 1st string, or started on the 3rd fret of the 6th string and ended on like the 12th of the 1st, kinda like more horizontally but still going down to the 5th, 4th, and the other strings.
D;
just use the scale formula across the neck.

Major Scale : W W H W W W H

W = Whole step
H = Half Step

Quote by ughhhhhhhh
haha I asked that wrong, Ok you know how the e minor pentatonic scale starts on the 12th fret on the 6th string then goes to the 15th fret so on and so on, then on the first string it ends on the 15th, it started in the 12th fret for all the strings, I was wondering if scales existed that started on the 12th fret of the 6th string and ended on the 3rd fret of the 1st string, or started on the 3rd fret of the 6th string and ended on like the 12th of the 1st, kinda like more horizontally but still going down to the 5th, 4th, and the other strings.

Yes there is. Just find the notes that create that diagonal movement down the fretboard. You might wanna learn the notes on the fretboard first though.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by mdawg24
All scales go both horizontal and vertical, because they're just patterns of the same notes. Find a scale (eg. the minor pentatonic), figure out what notes there are in it, and then just find every note in that scale on the guitar, and you can do horizontal runs from there.

http://jguitar.com/scaledictionary.jsp

Try that for some scales. I would recommend the blues scale to start.

Thanks man, that site is going to come in very handy.

Quote by allislost
just use the scale formula across the neck.

Major Scale : W W H W W W H

W = Whole step
H = Half Step

awesome man, I'll give that a try and eat some **** with it.

edit: Alright I get you, seems kinda tough but it should be done, thank you.
D;
Last edited by ughhhhhhhh at Dec 25, 2008,
Oh. wait, so you mean scales that like run all the way down the neck? I'm still slightly confused.
Edit: I saw your response, never mind. Glad I could help.
Quote by ughhhhhhhh

Like he said, every single scale does that on the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Low E-0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12-13 Is the same as

-------------------------0-2-3-
-----------------0-2-3---------
Low E--0-2-3-----------------this, so why move on one string when you can go on more to get the same thing? Besides, its easier to play on the multiple strings, rather than on one.