My friend has an old cheapo LP copy, and he wants to know if he can convert it into a 7 string. I think that it's a stupid idea because 7 string guitars have wider necks, wider pickups, wider bridges, wider nuts, which means he'll have to do a good bit of work to get it to work properly right?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
hes better off buying one. it will cost more to mod it than it will to buy a new one.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
he'll need to..

get a wider neck
make a larger pocked in the guitar for the larger neck
make larger cavities for the pickups
fill the holes left by the TOM bridge and stop bar
put a 7 string bridge on it

i guess it would be a neat project? id only do it if i had the supplies for free and the free time.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Stupid idea really, way too much work.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
but pickup pole spacing and lack of saddles on his tune-o-matic will be the challenge.
------

Shwiggity.
He could jam the strings on the old neck. BUT there arent going to be any 7 string pickups that will work nor a bridge. If its a set neck copy then its gonna be really difficult to do. Be hard to find a neck to begin with. And if its a bolt in then its still gonna be hard to find a neck that will fit.
Pup pole spacing really doesn't make much of a difference imho. I have a set of F-spaced pups that replaced my original normal ones and I don't hear any difference. I doubt a couple mm will make much difference on this.