Page 1 of 2
probaly botique is what im lookin for, im probaly buying a hughes and kettner statesman, but i also just found a company called goodsell that i have never heard of and they sound pretty damn nice

so any one know how good a goodsell would relate to an H+K statesman, and if there are any other companies like goodsell, except hopefull a little cheaper

thanks, i know theres a botique amp thread, but i didnt find anything besides the obvious ones, so basiclly review goodsell amps or similar things and merry christmas everybody
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 25, 2008,
It's spelled vintage.

H&K are great, but I would look into the switchblade. Crazy versatile.

Never head of goodsell amps.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
http://www.grangeramp.com/h50.php

You should get one of these.
Quote by dcdossett65
It's spelled vintage.

H&K are great, but I would look into the switchblade. Crazy versatile.

Never head of goodsell amps.

lol, eh i should probaly edit that haha, typo, but eh the switchblade is too modern sounding for me

wow and to imgooly or imgoolz?? wichever one it is lol, do those grangers sound really cool, like do have have kinda a unique tone like H+K like obviously not an H+K tone but just unique, cus they seem pretty well priced, think you could tell me more bout them???

i was lookin at the GC50 custom, I like the two chanels, but im willing to sacrifice the extra channel for tone

the only thing about the grangers that im not diggin is, on youtube and theyre sight they seem to sound kind of thin, like a little bit tinny, adn i really like a very thick tone, it might have also just been the settings on there, so any info on grangers would be cool cus they are cheaper than the H+K
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 25, 2008,
what kind of vintage sound are you looking for? Fender? Marshall? Hiwatt? Orange? Vox? I mean, all these amps sound different and were all common in classic rock.
thansk imgooley, i didnt like any of the bad cats or the drz, and to al112987 - somethin along the lines of the hughes and kettner statesman which i said already, and basically honestly if you know of a good orange clone, or a good hiwatt clone or good marshall clones, you know what ever as long as it has a unique tone ill take a look into it
Take a look at Reinhardts, they offer some vintage Marshall style amps with some modern options. Similar with Roccaforte.

If you want amps closer to vintage amp replicas the two best that come to my mind are Metropoulos and Germino. These will cost you slightly more than a H+K Statesman but they're all handwired using top quality components.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Take a look at Reinhardts, they offer some vintage Marshall style amps with some modern options. Similar with Roccaforte.

If you want amps closer to vintage amp replicas the two best that come to my mind are Metropoulos and Germino. These will cost you slightly more than a H+K Statesman but they're all handwired using top quality components.

ha, I already looked at and didnt like reinhardts, i think i looked at rocaforte, ill take a look again, metro and germino were way too expensive for me, but hell, i got nothin better to do than look at amps all day lol, its sad but true lol, so ya keep the i gues would these be considered botique amps or just vintage amps comin, i guess now im doin it to find brands and cool stuff than rather than lookin to buy now lol, so ya ha, man i wish i had the money to buy like 400 amps i would love to just have a room just surrounded by heads and cabs and have a wheely chair in the middle and just roll on over to whatever amp i feel like playin that day lol
Try Fuchs.

...or call up Alexander Dumble. Supposedly, his amps are specifically tuned to your playing, thus ensuring that you sound good. (*waits for TS to good Alexander Dumble*)
Last edited by colin617 at Dec 25, 2008,
haha, ya im sure it would be nice and cheap to call dumble up and get one of his amazingly inexpensive amps lol, ha , that would be nice lol, i read a couple things on the fuchs amps, and they seem kinda hit and miss if you get one, also they seem like they break kinda easy from what was bein said, but i fi can track one down ill definately try it out
Alexander Dumble doesn't make amps anymore. Guy turned down Eric Johnson!

If you're into the whole Dumble style amp, look at Ceriatone's Overtone Special for a cheap D-style amp
Quote by al112987

lol o ya hell definately make me an amp for say 1000 bucks for some random kid livin in western pa just for the hell of it lol, im sure psh eric johnson's a fag, ill get dumble to make me an amp

just kiddin i wish i was good =(
Quote by al112987

If you're into the whole Dumble style amp, look at Ceriatone's Overtone Special for a cheap D-style amp

Eric probably told him that the amp didn't sound as great as a Blackface Bassman with a serial number where ever other number is prime, two screws missing on the backplate, and tubes that were exactly 2 weeks and 13 hours old.

Dumble, being the douche bag that he is told EJ to STFU and refused to make the amp.

Seriously, I would like to hear a conversation between these two just to see who is pickier.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

I DID!

And TS, when you go boutique, I suggest just contacting any amp maker that interests and tell them what you want. You really can't go wrong with any of these guys as long as you know what you're looking for.
Quote by colin617
Eric probably told him that the amp didn't sound as great as a Blackface Bassman with a serial number where ever other number is prime, two screws missing on the backplate, and tubes that were exactly 2 weeks and 13 hours old.

Dumble, being the douche bag that he is told EJ to STFU and refused to make the amp.

Seriously, I would like to hear a conversation between these two just to see who is pickier.

Whats that? I can't hear you over the Manhattan sized power grid Eric Johnson has to use to power his stomp boxes... maybe its his new delay tone fad. He could call it "industrial."

On topic. TS, is there anything you won't shoot down? Perhaps an actual "ventege" Marshall/Fender/Vox/Orange, instead of a copy?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
^^^^^how in the hell would I go about contactin an amp maker, and how much more would it cost???

Quote by SlinkyBlue
Whats that? I can't hear you over the Manhattan sized power grid Eric Johnson has to use to power his stomp boxes... maybe its his new delay tone fad. He could call it "industrial."

On topic. TS, is there anything you won't shoot down? Perhaps an actual "ventege" Marshall/Fender/Vox/Orange, instead of a copy?

lol, i meant this thread to be more of a conversation thread, adn sorry for bein an intollerant prick to some of this stuff but marshall/fender/vox/orange are way out of my price range, plus any more most of those are made like complete **** and are no where near worth the amount of money they are sold for, and dammit "ventage" was a typo lol, im not a complete retard, just very picky lol
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by Iceman 420
I DID!

And TS, when you go boutique, I suggest just contacting any amp maker that interests and tell them what you want. You really can't go wrong with any of these guys as long as you know what you're looking for.

So true.

I have been emailing Bob Bradshaw of CAE for about two months now. We've been getting the details of my rack switching system hammered.

In my experience, these amp builders have the best customer relations.
Quote by eberg2
^^^^^how in the hell would I go about contactin an amp maker, and how much more would it cost???

go to the website
look up the email address (most builders have a hand in maintaining their own site)
it is free (they make their money on the sale)
Quote by colin617

Apparently it wasn't even like that. I read the story over on TGP, Idk how true it is apparently it went something like this...

EJ: Hi Howard, this is Eric Johnson, if you recall you built me a Steel String Singer a few years back, great amp...
HD: *silence*
EJ: er... hey listen, I was wondering if you could possibly build me another one?
HD: What happened to the one I built you?
EJ: So, it was having some issues and had it repaired by my tech, during that time I had a good buddy of mine nagging for me sell it to him so I did and--

*click*

Quote by eberg2
^^^^^how in the hell would I go about contactin an amp maker, and how much more would it cost??

lol, i meant this thread to be more of a conversation thread, adn sorry for bein an intollerant prick to some of this stuff but marshall/fender/vox/orange are way out of my price range, plus any more most of those are made like complete **** and are no where near worth the amount of money they are sold for, and dammit "ventage" was a typo lol, im not a complete retard, just very picky lol

Sounds like someone needs a Blues Junior hug.

*hug*

Seriously though. Vintage vibe, cheap? Blues Junior.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by colin617
go to the website
look up the email address (most builders have a hand in maintaining their own site)
it is free (they make their money on the sale)

well i meant how much more would it cost from one of these makers, and what are some that would ship??
Quote by eberg2
well i meant how much more would it cost from one of these makers, and what are some that would ship??

Hahahahaahhahah

If you have to ask the price of a boutique amp, it is out of your price range.
Quote by colin617
Hahahahaahhahah

If you have to ask the price of a boutique amp, it is out of your price range.

well i mean, im willing to pay like 1600, wich honestly isnt too crazy low, and thats kinda why i didnt even think of attempting to contact an actual amp maker lol
Quote by eberg2
well i mean, im willing to pay like 1600, wich honestly isnt too crazy low, and thats kinda why i didnt even think of attempting to contact an actual amp maker lol

*sigh* You can afford the real thing for $1600... =/

Marshall Vintage Modern Head- ~1500USD
Orange Rocker 30 Combo - ~1300USD
Fender Twin Reverb Combo - ~1200USD

Think now.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

If you're talking about a vintage Marshall plexi or JTM45? Maybe if you had 10x that budget...
The H&K Statesman is a bit less than $1500, that's enough for a boutique amp. And I'm pretty sure they all ship, people get their amps somehow.

And as for how much MORE it would cost, you could look at the prices of the amps and subtract the price of the H&K Statesman from that.
Quote by eberg2

They won't custom make anything for that amount. They would just advise you based on their current amp line.

Most boutique amps that I could recommend are out of that price range (new). Used, I would suggest an Orange/Matamp (not boutique) or Fuchs Train-45.
Quote by al112987
If you're talking about a vintage Marshall plexi or JTM45? Maybe if you had 10x that budget...

If he's got 1600 to spend for a vintage style amplifier, true botique is out of the question, but the fact remains that the "real thing" such as true high-end vintage style amps are available and in reach for that budget. See above.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

what do you mean real thing?? i fyou mean like a real marshall plexi, then honestly id rather get something that sounds close to it but has a little bit of a turn for the better in the tone and is cheaper anyways, i said im willing to pay 1600 now wanting to, cus id rather pay 1000 for somethin pretty damn good that just doesnt have a name on it, than 2000 for somethin because of the name thats only pretty good

Quote by SlinkyBlue

Marshall Vintage Modern Head- ~1500USD
Orange Rocker 30 Combo - ~1300USD
Fender Twin Reverb Combo - ~1200USD

Think now.

you think i havent looked into those options???, vintage modern needs to be cranked to sound decent, rocker 30 is too modern sounding and too high gain, fender is wayyyy over priced for waht it is

Quote by Iceman 420
The H&K Statesman is a bit less than $1500, that's enough for a boutique amp. And I'm pretty sure they all ship, people get their amps somehow.

And as for how much MORE it would cost, you could look at the prices of the amps and subtract the price of the H&K Statesman from that.

the statesman is 1325 usually, and right now nowhere has it in stock, but im sure i could find it, i know theyre around somewhere, i just want to make sure its my very best option
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
If he's got 1600 to spend for a vintage style amplifier, true botique is out of the question, but the fact remains that the "real thing" such as true high-end vintage style amps are available and in reach for that budget. See above.

Depends what you consider "the real thing," to me, what brand is printed on the headbox doesn't make an amp the "real thing", what is under the chassis does. A $800 Ceriatone JTM45 is much closer to the real thing than a Marshall Vintage Modern, it's actually closer to the real thing than the Marshall JTM45 reissue. The Vintage modern is a decent amp that gets a lot of unnecessary hate, but it really sounds nothing like a plexi or JTM45.

Boutique doesn't necessarily mean outrageously expensive and expensive doesn't mean boutique.
Quote by eberg2
what do you mean real thing?? i fyou mean like a real marshall plexi, then honestly id rather get something that sounds close to it but has a little bit of a turn for the better in the tone and is cheaper anyways, i said im willing to pay 1600 now wanting to, cus id rather pay 1000 for somethin pretty damn good that just doesnt have a name on it, than 2000 for somethin because of the name thats only pretty good

you think i havent looked into those options???, vintage modern needs to be cranked to sound decent, rocker 30 is too modern sounding and too high gain, fender is wayyyy over priced for waht it is

You won't find a vintage Plexi or a boutique clone for less than a Ceriatone clone.
Ceriatone gets you 95% of that sound for cheap. If you really need that extra 5%, then you can spend the extra $1500 for a Germino or Metropoulos. (no trust me, that sounds stupid, but if you care enough about elusive qualities of vintage amps, you will pay that extra for that last 5% of authentic tone).
Quote by al112987
Depends what you consider "the real thing," to me, what brand is printed on the headbox doesn't make an amp the "real thing", what is under the chassis does. A $800 Ceriatone JTM45 is much closer to the real thing than a Marshall Vintage Modern, it's actually closer to the real thing than the Marshall JTM45 reissue. The Vintage modern is a decent amp that gets a lot of unnecessary hate, but it really sounds nothing like a plexi or JTM45.

Agreed. Just because it says Marshall on the cab/head doesnt mean it's the real thing. But the Vintage Modern is a pretty impressive amplifier. I've never had the priveledge of playing on a boutique plexi or blackface... but I've always had the desire to buy my own amp of today, and let it age, and own one in the future.

In this case, a 2008 Vintage Modern WILL be boutique in 2030. As with a Orange Rocker series, or a Twin...

My 2 cents.
-Jim Morrison
what's this? a hughes kettner fan?

if you got 1600. you can get a used triamp mkII. i have the mkI but i think it's more modern voiced while the mkII is aiming at the vintage tone you would like.
Quote by kckyle
what's this? a hughes kettner fan?

if you got 1600. you can get a used triamp mkII. i have the mkI but i think it's more modern voiced while the mkII is aiming at the vintage tone you would like.

eh i tried out the mkIIs and is there a three out cus i think i tried one of those, i really didnt like them much, godly tone but not really that just wonderful classic tone that im lookin for and to the dude who asked,

basically a very 70s based clear rock n roll sound with a unique twist to it you knwo??? like a basic rock tone with just somethin that sounds a little bit different, like hoenstly i could care less if its american or british voiced as long as its warm with a little twist to it to make it a bit different, i like very very warm souding amps

also id like a head, not a combo, i like being able to change the cabs and stuff like that and keep everything very open to change without being tweaked
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Agreed. Just because it says Marshall on the cab/head doesnt mean it's the real thing. But the Vintage Modern is a pretty impressive amplifier. I've never had the priveledge of playing on a boutique plexi or blackface... but I've always had the desire to buy my own amp of today, and let it age, and own one in the future.

In this case, a 2008 Vintage Modern WILL be boutique in 2030. As with a Orange Rocker series, or a Twin...

My 2 cents.

It won't, just like a JCM800 isn't considered a boutique amp these days and why you can find them all the time for <$1000.

The reason why vintage Marshalls are so valuable these days are because 1) they sound so great and 2) they were all handwired, point to point amplifiers. An amp builder hand placed and hand soldered every component in those amps. The Vintage Modern is a mass produced PCB amp, just like the Rocker30 and Fender twin.
Page 1 of 2