It seems like I have a problem with sloppiness, so I ws thinking that I should slow thing down for a while, get a thicker pick, and go into scales and arpeggios for about a month. Then after the month is done, I'd plug into my amp, put on some drive and see how I sound. Would this be a good idea? Any Suggestions?
No, some licks require muting noise, and if you practice those on clean for a month, then it's hard to "relearn" em with correct noise muting

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
No, some licks require muting noise, and if you practice those on clean for a month, then it's hard to "relearn" em with correct noise muting

This.
As with sweeping, optimal practice would be with a hi-gain sound, as well as completely clean.

But you want to practice amplified.

It's all good and well if you can shred unamplified, but that doesn't help if you sound like shit through an amp.
Gore AND Core; unite!
learn to play on a completely clean setting on your amp instead of unplugged. if you can play it well clean, you can play it well any setting.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
IDK, Ive heard that people like Malmsteen can play better unplugged lol, and I figured that if Id play clean for a while Id be able to see my mistakes and understand how to fix them.
And Can you guys help me with this C Arpeggio
--P-I-----M----I---M--I---P
-17p13---------------13h17-When I sweep this in 8th notes at 180BPM,
-----------15------15------------- <---This string rings out. Could I be Pulling my
----------------14----------------- Middle finger off the string too fast?
------------------------------------
--------------------------
----------------------------
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Dec 25, 2008,
Split your time between playing unplugged, plugged in but clean, and with distortion.

They will highlight different problems. For example, playing unplugged/clean is great for working on dynamics, and overall making sure your picking isn't weedy. With distortion is great for working on muting.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
It seems like I have a problem with sloppiness, so I ws thinking that I should slow thing down for a while, get a thicker pick, and go into scales and arpeggios for about a month. Then after the month is done, I'd plug into my amp, put on some drive and see how I sound. Would this be a good idea? Any Suggestions?

I don't think its a great idea.

practicing things slow until you are capable of playing them faster without sloppiness is a good idea though.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by TK1
learn to play on a completely clean setting on your amp instead of unplugged. if you can play it well clean, you can play it well any setting.

True as that may be generally, it's not entirely so.

I'll use sweeping as my example again, 'cause it's a good one.
There's mistakes that you can only fix by playing with distortion, like general string noise.
Strings aren't nearly as hard to silence on clean as they are with a hi-gain sound.
Gore AND Core; unite!
And Can you guys help me with this C Arpeggio
--P-I-----M----I---M--I---P
-17p13---------------13h17-When I sweep this in 8th notes at 180BPM,
-----------15------15------------- <---This string rings out. Could I be Pulling my
----------------14----------------- Middle finger off the string too fast?
------------------------------------
--------------------------
----------------------------

Dm, shurely?

More likely it's that your defretting motion is too large and your general muting poor.

You need to be practicing clean and distorted if you plan to play clean and distorted well. Simple.
Quote by Freepower
Dm, shurely?

More likely it's that your defretting motion is too large and your general muting poor.

You need to be practicing clean and distorted if you plan to play clean and distorted well. Simple.

It is Part of Dm, But Ive also Heard its C lol.
I'm just glad you got them right in the lesson in your sig...

Although I humbly submit that if you aren't totally sure about such simple things then you shouldn't really be writing lessons on arpeggios.
Playing clean is always a good idea. While your at it, grab a metronome and play with that a little. Distortion can cover up mistakes, playing with a clean setting (or unplugged) will force you to max out your technique, making you an overall better player. The scales and arpeggios would be an excellent idea as well, they will make you a better musican and can really help your speed. Don't isolate yourself from drive though, take some time each day to play what you want. As for the muting thing, it is VERY possible to mute without distortion...
Quote by Jazzcat#1201
As for the muting thing, it is VERY possible to mute without distortion...

I was talking more about muting unwanted string noise from the strings you aren't playing, rather than the one(s) you are playing on. Distortion's good for that because if you have problems in that area, it will be a lot more obvious.
I'd suggest taking up DRUMS or PICALO? heyy im only throwing out my opinion, good luck aye.
Quote by redflag_ppl
I'd suggest taking up DRUMS or PICALO? heyy im only throwing out my opinion, good luck aye.

wtf?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??