Alright my mom wants me to buy a computer, so she said she'd help me buy one.

I guess my price range is about 800$

These are the things I'd like to do on my computer

1) Record & everything involved in recording (mixing tracks, etc..)
2) Play WoW (the odd time)
3) Computer Graphics (Photo Shop, mostly)
4) TEH INTERNETZ (of course?)
5) Have a couple thousand songs without making it go super slow

and of course i want the computer to go at a decent speed.

Here are 2 computers that have caught my eye so far, cause they look like they go fast, and have lots of memory...I have no clue what I'll need for graphics card & a sound card though!

1)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10114689&catid=#MoreInfo

2)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10112895&catid=20217&PCName=desktop%5F600%5F800&logon=&langid=EN

thank youuuu
Quote by metaldud536
I speak for all of UG when I say build it.
I dunno, when someone uses the words "go fast" when describing computers I kinda think of it as a "just buy one" situation.
Build it yourself.

My man just made his own... Spent $700 on a kickass system which together would have been $1500+. Trust me, you can go all out. If I find the link to his final build, I'll post it.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Okay, you obviously don't know much about computers, so I recommend you either buy a desktop from www.newegg.com or get a friend to build one for you. Don't buy computers from general electronic stores such as Best Buy because they rip you off and take advantage of your ignorance on computers.

Look for these specifications or better:
Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia 8600GT
320GB 7200RPM HDD

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
guaranteed you'll know someone at school who knows how to build one. "conscript" them to help you build it.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
One word, DEBRANDED, you don't know how much money you can save by buying a debranded computer. HOLY **** is what you will be saying, and it's not like theirs a small market either, you can get some really nice ones.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Yeah, I dunno about building it.

i clearly know nothing about computer specs, and I don't know much about computers besides how to use the internet, and use a few programs.

I'd rather not build it.

Come on..
with the internet as a guide, use Newegg and you can order your parts to your exact needs and then find a cool case to stick it all in. DO NOT buy a low end POS you will regret it
Quote by Xiaoxi
Okay, you obviously don't know much about computers, so I recommend you either buy a desktop from www.newegg.com or get a friend to build one for you. Don't buy computers from general electronic stores such as Best Buy because they rip you off and take advantage of your ignorance on computers.

Look for these specifications or better:
Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia 8600GT
320GB 7200RPM HDD

Yeah. He bought... Almost like, all of this.

And building is easy, and probably quicker than you think. He started at 1 and had Windows up by 6, with short breaks.0

sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Quote by tugboat
Yeah. He bought... Almost like, all of this.

And building is easy, and probably quicker than you think. He started at 1 and had Windows up by 6, with short breaks.0

Well if he recently just bought those he's a little late in the game. i7 and the GTX200 series just came out. He should've waited and saved up a little more.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by El Gigante
Come on..
with the internet as a guide, use Newegg and you can order your parts to your exact needs and then find a cool case to stick it all in. DO NOT buy a low end POS you will regret it

This may make me sound like an idiot, but i really don't have the patience to be attempting to build a PC. I'll get over stressed quickly and flip out.

Quote by Fiddler
guaranteed you'll know someone at school who knows how to build one. "conscript" them to help you build it.

I don't go to school.
well thats me burnt to the ground
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well if he recently just bought those he's a little late in the game. i7 and the GTX200 series just came out. He should've waited and saved up a little more.

Well, it's sort of been a while, he needed it like... Now. It's worth it. Saving about $500 is awesome.

sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
oh btw its colour coded basically...you cant screw up the build..
plus you want about 750w power supply...people neglect to mention these things lol
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by fairycake92
only get 4gb if you use 64 bit...
get 3, works fine

I just updated my Vista HP to SP1 yesterday and all of a sudden it recognizes all 4GB. I was amazed.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
yea SP1 does recognise it to inform the user its there, it will only use 3gb as process memory
Quote by fairycake92
yea SP1 does recognise it to inform the user its there, it will only use 3gb as process memory

Oh. Ghey. But then again, it never reaches beyond 2.5 of usage anyway.

Now my Mac on the other hand, I just open everything and leave the processes running and utilize almost all 4GB.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by fairycake92
but mac can support 32gb ram as standard.. lol
32? I thought the max was 16. But yea, I'm talking about the MBP, which has 2 RAM slots. I haven't seen any 2x8GB packs. I just have 2x2's.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If the man wants a computer that is capable of "surfing the internetz" and storing music on its hard drive i don't think he has the knowledge to build his own computer. No offense to the TS but you are posting on a guitar website and you yourself asked for help.

First, those are identical computers, just from different websites.

Second, if you wanna play games and run photo editing i highly recommend getting a computer with a name brand video card.
Both of those computers are running integrated video memory. This is BAD without going into detail. If it say"Dedicated" video memory or "SE" at the end of the graphics card name it means it is integrated and is BAD.
IF it says something like "GS ", "GT " or "HD " or anything else besides "SE" it is GOOD.
This also means the computer will cost more, so be aware of that.

On the other hand, that computer will run WoW but that's not a benchmark as it is a pretty old game now. With that computer, don't be looking at playing any new games until you upgrade the video card. The rest of that computer is fine, though.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by DZCunuck
If the man wants a computer that is capable of "surfing the internetz" and storing music on its hard drive i don't think he has the knowledge to build his own computer. No offense to the TS but you are posting on a guitar website and you yourself asked for help.

First, those are identical computers, just from different websites.

Second, if you wanna play games and run photo editing i highly recommend getting a computer with a name brand video card.
Both of those computers are running integrated video memory. This is BAD without going into detail. If it say"Dedicated" video memory or "SE" at the end of the graphics card name it means it is integrated and is BAD.
IF it says something like "GS ", "GT " or "HD " or anything else besides "SE" it is GOOD.
This also means the computer will cost more, so be aware of that.

On the other hand, that computer will run WoW but that's not a benchmark as it is a pretty old game now. With that computer, don't be looking at playing any new games until you upgrade the video card. The rest of that computer is fine, though.

wrong...
Intel GMx4500HD is TERRIBLE!!!
that has HD
anything but intel onboard
get a pc with dual core 2.0ghz or more
2gb ram
250gb hard drive on sata
windows xp preferably...but vista if you need to be up to dat
an ati 3850 512 will run most happily
a psu above 600w 80+ cert...
Quote by Xiaoxi
32? I thought the max was 16. But yea, I'm talking about the MBP, which has 2 RAM slots. I haven't seen any 2x8GB packs. I just have 2x2's.

Nah the dual quad core server machine supports 32gb ram...bitch to set up...but runs like a legend machine
Quote by freedoms_stain
I dunno, when someone uses the words "go fast" when describing computers I kinda think of it as a "just buy one" situation.

Agreed. And he doesn't understand that simply having songs won't slow it down. I suggest buying one in this case.

Maybe you can get a friend or someone you know to build it for you? You would save lots of money or get a better PC for the same amount.

Quote by fairycake92
wrong...
that has HD
2gb ram
250gb hard drive on sata

Fail.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by fairycake92
wrong...
that has HD
2gb ram
250gb hard drive on sata

did you even bother to click on the links and see the examples i provided before?
I definitely did not mean integrated video cards like the GMx4500HD.

Im sorry but i dont even consider integrated video cards like the GMx4500 HD, video cards.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab