I have $500 to spend at my local music store (Steve's in Ottawa) and I've decided I want a new amp. Now, of course I am going to go in and try amps out, but I figured, since they're closed today and on boxing day, I might as well do a bit of research first.

But I really don't know where to look. I've been playing for 4 years now and I've always had the same 30 watt Randall. It has served me well, but my I have developed as a guitar player and my tastes have changed.

I play different styles of music, but I want an amp that can handle progressive and psychedelic-bluesy rock (see: Pink Floyd, Rush, Porcupine Tree (along the lines of The Sky Moves Sideways), Clapton, Hendrix), but I would also like something that can do some metal or rock. No need for something that gets really heavy, but I do like my overdrive.

I'm really at a loss for what I should be looking for. As I said, I have $500 to spend, and if there's anything left over well that's a bonus that could go towards some pedals. I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to amps and all that wizardry, so any guidance is much appreciated.

P.S. I'd like something that's good for playing at home in a basement, but that can still handle small gigs and what-not. That is my main reason for upgrading after all - I need something to play in front of people with!

P.P.S After reading myself over, I hope I don't come across as lazy and wanting you guys to just pick something for me! I just want suggestions as to what I should be trying out. Thanks!

tl;dr: Read the third paragraph and suggest me an amp under $500
Peavey classic 30 would fit all those tones. They cost 600 new, but you can find them used for 300 or maybe a little bit more.