My mother won't allow me to take the computer in my room, that being said, I want to record in my room, I have no need to record drums, But what type of mike should I get to record Acoutic guitars and electric guitar amps...and vocals, if possible are there any that can do all of this? And would I need a pre amp if I have a multi track recorder with mic inputs?

Suggest a setup under 400us

-Recording device
-Mike/s
-Monitors...or can i use normal speakers?
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
i dont think you need speakers...just an amp...microphone i have a shure i think sm57 (maybe 58) that does guitar and vocals well, you can get one new around 100
i have a fostex 8 track recorder thats solid for good sounding demos, and you dont "need a preamp" but I run vocals through my powered mixer to make them sound better...they sound a bit stale run straight in

Really thats bout all you can do for 400...not much, and the quality will be halfway decent...make sure you have a compressor for the guitars and for vocals pay attention to keeping volume and distance from the mic conistent (vocal compressors are too much)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
A USB interface.
Shure SM57 MIC
250 cans of Pepsi.

(Most mixers have built in mic preamps, but they're just not as good as standalone preamps, talking through experience)
Quote by pielover375
Coke > pepsi

Also, pot helps the process.

My point is, he has more than enough money for decent recording :P
(Don't argue)
Why wont I need speakers? I have some studio heaphones, they're boss ripoffs, would that be fine?

and another thing, a computer cant be used, it has to be done in my room, Any suggestions for pre amps?

I plan on accumalating all this stuff within a year, by birthday is in february, what is the most important thing besides the recorder?
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

Oh... Then you need to buy a PC.
PC-less recording is out of question with that money.
You should easily be able to get a 4 track digital recorder with a mic and a pair of low end monitors (or use your home stereo for playback and put that money into a better recorder)
Boss Micro BR: $200.
Shure SM57 for everything: $100.
Pair of M Audiophile Pro 3 (I'd honestly wait for KRKs, but you do need stereo speakers): $86.
Mic stand and cables (one 1/8 to dual RCA for the monitors, XLR-XLR for the microphone) run around $30 (look at monoprice for the cable).
SD card: $20 for 1 GB or so...more if you go to a bulk store like Costco.

It's a bit over budget, but you can do recordings and download them later to your computer for editing.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Dec 26, 2008,
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR600-Digital-Recorder?sku=241151
BR600
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DP02CF-Digital-Portastudio-Recording-Studio?sku=241813
Tascam DP-02CF

Either/Or. both of these will work. look over specs and what not, if you want drum capabilities(machine) then the 600 is for you as it has them built in (as well as built in mics)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166
MXL 990/991 Package

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102
SM57

Either of these would get you started out right for around 100 bucks.

Good luck,
-Ryan
Thanks you guys so much, Can't wait to start recording
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

Why exactly does everyone keep suggesting the SM57? It's pretty decent for mic'ing up rock guitar amps, but that's about it.

If I was limited only to one mic in a studio, it'd absolutely have to be a condenser. For cheaper than the SM57 you could get a Behringer B1 which is in a totally different league for vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion etc.... it even comes with a shockmount, pop shield and hardcase!

Just make sure whatever recorder/preamp you buy has 'phantom power'. Most decent ones will do.
Quote by kyle62
Why exactly does everyone keep suggesting the SM57? It's pretty decent for mic'ing up rock guitar amps, but that's about it.

If I was limited only to one mic in a studio, it'd absolutely have to be a condenser. For cheaper than the SM57 you could get a Behringer B1 which is in a totally different league for vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion etc.... it even comes with a shockmount, pop shield and hardcase!

Just make sure whatever recorder/preamp you buy has 'phantom power'. Most decent ones will do.

Agreed. It's because everybody knows that (well..thinks that) if they say sm57 (knowing its the "industry standard") they get brownie points and sound like they know what they're talking about..

It's only the industry standard for crunch guitar, snare and other not very audibly dynamic things. I don't particularly like them to be honest..

Get a Rode NT1-A or an SE Electronics SE2200A. Both slightly pricier, but will give quality results on virtually anything.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by fatslash
My mother won't allow me to take the computer in my room, that being said, I want to record in my room, I have no need to record drums, But what type of mike should I get to record Acoutic guitars and electric guitar amps...and vocals, if possible are there any that can do all of this? And would I need a pre amp if I have a multi track recorder with mic inputs?

Suggest a setup under 400us

-Recording device
-Mike/s
-Monitors...or can i use normal speakers?

I feel like ultimate-guitar need's an entire forum for people who are looking for ghetto studio rigs this is basically the more common post in riffs and recordings.
^ thats horribly true.

And a good cheap condensor is the Samson C03, i've used this mic a fair bit and have quite a high opinion, you get a quite nice condensor for a price range around the same or just under that of the SM57
I'm thinking a sticky with MTR and computer-based hardware for $100, $200, and $1000 budgets could suffice.

CPU based (Assuming 1 person, probably doing vocals)
100: Stealthplug + free amp software, Pod Studio GX, Samson CO1U (former two guitar only)
200: M Audio Fasttrack/Presonus Inspire/Mackie Onyx Satellite (No Vista), SM57/MXL 990+991. Multi-effects pedals with USB can work if you don't want vocals.
1000: KRK5 RP2s, Presonus FP10, RE20 or MD421 to do vocals and guitars (or SM57 and $200 condenser like Studio Projects B1 or Samson CL8).

Someone else can do the MTR based ones (low end: Line6 Backtrack or Boss MicroBR)

As for the SM57 vs. other microphone debates, the best reason to get them is because they won't need replacing when you upgrade, as they (and SM58s) are still useful even if you go pro with a multi-million dollar studio. That said, Samson's a solid brand and the CO3 is remarkable with the pad and multiple patterns (I have the CO1 and love it). After spending a certain amount (~$500) on a condenser, the room acoustics and preamp will be the limiting factors to most home recorders.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

I vote that a 500 dollar budget is thrown in as well. Since 200 - 1000 is a rather large gap.

Also, should we do one that includes all "basic" gear (interface/mtr, cables, mic, software, whatever) and one that just covers the interface/mtr?

-Ryan
True, though in most cases the 500 budget is simply the 200 with two semi-decent 5" monitors. In most of the examples above, the interface came with software...so the basic and interface-only setups are unnecessary. Besides, it's difficult to know offhand what cable lengths are needed.
Quote by keiron_d