Hi,

My dream is to go pro, but I don't know what to do. I'm from portugal and i'm in a school of jazz (learning rock guitar and musical formation), and i'm also studying pharmaceutical sciences, which sucks since all I want to do is study guitar. As soon as I finish my major I want to apply to berklee...

I've been playing just for 2 year but guitar is my life now. So I have just a small solo on my profile and I was wondering I've I have a little chance to become a pro...

Give me some feedback and no bashing please.

Thanks UG
Well you could do the tried and true method of forming a band, writing great songs and gigging your ass off. That might work if your songs are strong enough and you're good at promoting yourself.

Another alternative is becoming a session/studio musician, which means you have to go Jedi and be able to play anything and everything that people ask of you, right on the spot with no mistakes. That's a lot harder but if you pull it off the road is wide open and you have plenty of space to do the first alternative.

Third alternative is to form/join a cover band. A seasoned pro player here in Sweden told me 90% of all cover bands (I assume he was talking about sweden) can make a living playing music. Playing parties, bars, weddings, basically just doing hits that everyone knows and no one cares if you nail the guitar parts as long as they recognize the songs. This is the easiest option, and it pays big time, especially if you're good. Play a party of 200 people and at least 5-6 will come up to you afterwards and ask you to play their party. Word of mouth can get you very far in this business, I know from experience.

4th alternative is to be a teacher, but I know very little about that. It's not something I'd think I'd enjoy, and it would require a lot of study and skills to get good jobs.
Quote by Aziraphale
Well you could do the tried and true method of forming a band, writing great songs and gigging your ass off. That might work if your songs are strong enough and you're good at promoting yourself.

Another alternative is becoming a session/studio musician, which means you have to go Jedi and be able to play anything and everything that people ask of you, right on the spot with no mistakes. That's a lot harder but if you pull it off the road is wide open and you have plenty of space to do the first alternative.

Third alternative is to form/join a cover band. A seasoned pro player here in Sweden told me 90% of all cover bands (I assume he was talking about sweden) can make a living playing music. Playing parties, bars, weddings, basically just doing hits that everyone knows and no one cares if you nail the guitar parts as long as they recognize the songs. This is the easiest option, and it pays big time, especially if you're good. Play a party of 200 people and at least 5-6 will come up to you afterwards and ask you to play their party. Word of mouth can get you very far in this business, I know from experience.

4th alternative is to be a teacher, but I know very little about that. It's not something I'd think I'd enjoy, and it would require a lot of study and skills to get good jobs.

Thanks!
It's impossible to make a living with a cover band in portugal, almost everyone I know has a 2nd job. I'm thinking of making my own band or giving classes. But first of all getting the hell out of portugal and getting an education (college of music maybe)
Curently we share the same dream , tough I've only been playing for about 9 months.
Become good at it , practice as much as you can , find whatever music is in demand but there aren't alot of bands that do it.
Start a band , pour your emotions into the songs , when you listen to them you've gotta have an eargasm.
Start doing gigs , that's how everyone gets known the old fashion way.
The internet is your friend , make a video , publish it everywhere , spam forums with it.