Page 1 of 3
I'm wondering how many people on here speak/are learning Japanese.

I want to learn Japanese myself, and was wondering what the best way to start was? I know some of the kanji and some vocab already.

Anyone?
Why do you want to learn it?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Me! Started out with a few books..then started going to night school for it..NOW the school stopped teaching it so I have bought Rossetta Stone (sucks for the record) and some more heavy duty books.

We can learn together
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I bought some introductory text books off of Amazon. I found that Rosetta Stone isn't a great program for Japanese.

Japanese is a really tough language for English speakers. The sentence structure is way different.
I'm Chinese but the same method applies. You should really make friends with Japanese people so that you get your intonations corrected, if necessary.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by imdeth
Weren't you trying to learn Russian recently?

Well I'm going to take classes for that.....but they don't start until April.

Anyway, I love geisha culture and the traditional Japanese arts and at the moment it's REALLY difficult to find any English language stuff on it.

I guess I'm learning it to appreciate the culture.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well I'm going to take classes for that.....but they don't start until April.

Anyway, I love geisha culture and the traditional Japanese arts and at the moment it's REALLY difficult to find any English language stuff on it.

Same way I feel..and same boat !

Rossetta stone didnt have ANY English in the cd. Just pictures...which doesnt help cause itll show a picture of a kid with an icecream cone then itll present you with a Japanese word. Well how do I know if its talking about the kid or the icecream cone ?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Are you aware that a Geisha is a whore?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Yea I'm taking Japanese in school, and I find it very challenging even though I'm Korean

easiest way to learn is to take classes, there's just so much to learn and memorize (sentence structures, vocab, polite/plain speech, characters, verb forms, etc)
you could start by watching some dramas/anime with subtitles and try to pick up some words
Quote by smb
Why don't you pick one language and learn it well?
^ musical instrument also.
I think I'm learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I really think so...
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Wasn't it Turning Japanese?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
Wasn't it Turning Japanesse?

I don't know what you are talking about.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by rabidguitarist
Are you aware that a Geisha is a whore?

Geisha's were not whores. They were hostesses for parties who served the customers drinks, played music and similar activities. THEY WERE NOT PROSTITUTES.
Quote by Ach-med
I don't know what you are talking about.

funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
My knowledge of geisha culture comes purely from having read 'Memoirs of A Geisha' but my understanding is that they were basically like high class courtesans. Thus they were mainly hoestesses or companions, but if one particular man got to know a geisha well enough they would be able to enter into some sort of agreement of companionship, and this would include sex, and she would be paid, in the form of expensive presents at least. So in a slightly long-winded sense, they were still prostitutes.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
I think I'm learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I reall think soo! dernerner nii nii wii nii
Quote by Ach-med
I think I'm learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I really think so...

aww man
Quote by LastToKnow
My knowledge of geisha culture comes purely from having read 'Memoirs of A Geisha' but my understanding is that they were basically like high class courtesans. Thus they were mainly hoestesses or companions, but if one particular man got to know a geisha well enough they would be able to enter into some sort of agreement of companionship, and this would include sex, and she would be paid, in the form of expensive presents at least. So in a slightly long-winded sense, they were still prostitutes.

Nope, Geishas were forbidden to have sex, you're thinking of a courtesan, there was a place in Medieval Japan called Yoshiwara which was a section of Tokyo dedicated to manly pleasures, you had to dress extremely well and you'd have the chance to talk to a Courtesan who then was paid for sex, the Courtesan looked just like a Geisha but they weren't as educated or as cultured as the Geishas, they were basically intelligent prostitutes.

The Geishas however were cultured and educated in the highest order and DID NOT solicit sex in any form, they would basically be a female hostess, usually in a group which kept the party going with conversation and entertainment.
I want to learn japanese as well, I don't think it'll be very hard for me to comprehend, I've started a little bit. I listen to a ****load of japanese music. you try doing that as well.
Yeah, I knew that much, so it's just the book misleading me and mixing two different things together perhaps. Ah well, will do my research next time! :P
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
i took it in highschool for 3 years, and taking it as a summer course at university, best way to start would probably get the hiragana and katagana down pat, so you can make out some of the words without having to flip back and forth between a chart and the page. that and learning the grammer is probably the hardest parts IMO, but they are the most important. good luck with learning man!
Quote by Z_cup_boy
I want to learn japanese as well, I don't think it'll be very hard for me to comprehend, I've started a little bit. I listen to a ****load of japanese music. you try doing that as well.

I'm on the same page. I've been really into Japanese culture lately, hopefully I'll take it up next year in college...
Quote by AceOfBlades
I think I'm learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I reall think soo! dernerner nii nii wii nii

haha
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I'd like to learn some Japanese at some point. Although tbh I'd rather learn Klingon and Irish Gaelic.
Quote by Aramis
I'd like to learn some Japanese at some point. Although tbh I'd rather learn Klingon and Irish Gaelic.

Yea those sound pretty useful in a job world...

Anyway, I am learning Japanese after having more or less mastered Spanish and it is pretty simple, once you understand SOV, and can use particles correctly. However I am not sure if I should continue since it looks like the necesity for Japanese speakers is declining as China will become a much larger economic player in the future.
Quote by EnemyWolf
Yea those sound pretty useful in a job world...

Anyway, I am learning Japanese after having more or less mastered Spanish and it is pretty simple, once you understand SOV, and can use particles correctly. However I am not sure if I should continue since it looks like the necesity for Japanese speakers is declining as China will become a much larger economic player in the future.

I want to learn Gaelic because I want to live in Ireland. I want to learn Klingon because the language just rocks. Considering I want to be a professional musician, why would I need to learn a language for the job world?
My sister is living in Japan at the moment. She started learning using those recording things.
They really work. I started to pick some up because it would always come on when my musics were on shuffle

Quote by Aramis
I want to learn Gaelic because I want to live in Ireland. I want to learn Klingon because the language just rocks. Considering I want to be a professional musician, why would I need to learn a language for the job world?

Gaelic won't get you very far in Ireland, dear
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Mad Marius
The best way to learn Japanese is to read Naruto. Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!

fixed.
Kage Mane no Justu!
Page 1 of 3