is there a speaker company that makes quality 8 inch speakers. i need to replace the one i got in my new amp. ive searched a couple sites but couldnt find anything
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
thanks for the person who suggested weber. another speaker question. wats the difference between an alcino speaker and a ceramic speaker?
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Quote by prsrulz91
thanks for the person who suggested weber. another speaker question. wats the difference between an alcino speaker and a ceramic speaker?

That refers to the magnet type used, like with pickups. .. I don't know how it affects the tone though, because I'm not clued up on speakers and stuffz.
Alnico is generally considered a more musical magnet and provides a "softer" sound than ceramic, especially when the speaker is pushed near its limit, which some people find pleasing. Just compare them, there's no way to quantify which is better than the other. It all depends on your personal tastes.

You should pay attention to the sensitivity rating of the speaker, regardless of the magnet type, and make sure it's at a level you want. The sensitivity rating will affect the volume your amp can reach dramatically. Some speakers reach 95dB from one watt, whereas others reach 105dB, which is a major difference. If you're cranking a small tube amp for power tube distortion a less sensitive speaker will be your friend, but if you want a lot of headroom or it's a solid-state amp you may want to jump for a higher sensitivity speaker.

There are different voicings for speakers, i.e. British or American, among others. If you tend to like Marshall or Vox tones better you probably want a British-voiced speaker, and if you prefer more Fender-type tones jump for an American-voiced speaker.

Also, make sure your new speaker matches the impedance of the old one, or you could end up with some problems. Although you can change the impedance safely on solid state amps most of the time and occasionally on tube amps, changing the impedance of the speaker will affect the volume and tone of the amp in a way which you may or may not like.
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Dec 26, 2008,