Have you ever bought a piece of gear not really expecting it to do much? Or bought a piece of gear that you were expecting to be amazing, hated it, thrown it in a junk pile, and re-discovered it later? Well, here's your chance to talk about your underdog gear!

Personally, my underdog was a BBE Boosta Grande. It's the old model with the blue design and gray box. I had bought it off ebay for under half price, thinking that it would be a great way to get a sort of dirty clean setting - at low volumes. Well, I'm stupid. Clean Boost =\= quiet. So I was frustrated that it didn't do what I want and threw it aside.

About a month later, I realized that my MI Audio Crunch box simply did not have the output that i waned to do the sort of instrumental rock/solo setting that I needed. I tried to fix it by combining it with the drive on my amp, but that sucked the crap out of my tone. After an epiphany, i dug my little Boosta Grande outa of some junk, plugged it into my pedal chain, and now, it's not leaving.

What's your story?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
My old Boss CE-5. I bought it all giddy and shiz because it was my first pedal, got tired of it in a few days. Recently, after hearing Alex Lifeson use chorus, I've been playing with it more often and am beginning to take a liking to it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
ibanez ts9. this forum got me drawn in to the whole boutique true bypass expensive ftw theory so i never gave the ts9 a second look. the other day i found one at gc for 75 since it was a floor model. i picked it up on an impulse and wow, it makes my 5150 into a whole new beast
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
For me it's always the other way around. I get something awesome, and then it becomes a piece of poo.
JB pickup.
People on UG used to really hate these, it seems that opinion is improving lately. Maybe people are actually playing them?

Quote by InanezGuitars44
ibanez ts9. this forum got me drawn in to the whole boutique true bypass expensive ftw theory so i never gave the ts9 a second look. the other day i found one at gc for 75 since it was a floor model. i picked it up on an impulse and wow, it makes my 5150 into a whole new beast

But you've never played one of the boutique ones? I'm glad you like your TS9, but there's a reason the boutique stuff is highly recommended.
lol... danelectro t-bone, i plan to try it out again sooner or later haha
Westone Thunder 1a
Fender SuperSonic
Orange 4x12 40th anniversary
EHX Big Muff/Memory Man Stereo
Fender Nashville tele:

No one here really mentions them, but I have found mine to be incredibly versatile. You have that signature Tele snarl, but a strat like sound from the middle position. Also, the b-bender is hella cool.
Quote by Roc8995
B-benders are standard on the nashville tele?

Its an American from 2000

here's mine

Quote by colin617
Its an American from 2000

that, my friend, is beautiful
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Very cool, I didn't know that. I'll have to try one of those some time.
My Boss SD-1 when I first got it was pretty disappointed I was like this is it. Then I got my laney AOR and it turns out it's a great boost pedal for a bit more dirt.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Roc8995
JB pickup.
People on UG used to really hate these, it seems that opinion is improving lately. Maybe people are actually playing them?

Meh, I like it for leads. Needs more bottom end for rhythm though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Either my Stamps Drive-O-Matic or Acetone 601 half stack
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12
Warmoth Strat
Richmond Dorchester
Boss RC-50
Line 6 DL-4
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Mastotron
Boss RT-20
Quote by aznrockerdude
Meh, I like it for leads. Needs more bottom end for rhythm though.

Just EQ your amp for more low end. It'll make the leads sound less harsh and overall more liquid clean, and your low end will come out real nice.

Just wondering, how do you know if something is Boutique? Also, would anyone reccomend a good OD pedal to use as a clean boost/gain tightener for a Peavey VK?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
Just EQ your amp for more low end. It'll make the leads sound less harsh and overall more liquid clean, and your low end will come out real nice.

Just wondering, how do you know if something is Boutique? Also, would anyone reccomend a good OD pedal to use as a clean boost/gain tightener for a Peavey VK?

Boutique is something that is not widely manufactured, uses top of the line parts, and typically is hand made.

Oh...and ridiculously priced.
Quote by colin617
Boutique is something that is not widely manufactured, uses top of the line parts, and typically is hand made.

Oh...and ridiculously priced.

Can you give me some examples of good bang for your buck boutique pedals?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K

I might not be right, but boutique has never been about bang for the buck.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by V.U.K

Oxymoron.

However, if you can stand to wait almost a year for a single pedal, Tom Cochrane "Tim/Timmy" pedals are pretty cool and about $100 new.
^It's true. Boutique is usually about top of the line stuff, not beginner or budget material.
That said, there are a few companies like Monsterpiece and MI audio that make entry-level boutique stuff that's priced closer to the Guitar Center crowd.
ii would check out MI Audio, i have the crunchbox and it fregin rocks. proguitarshop.com has almost all of their pedals reviewed in their video library altho i wouldn't buy from them because you can find blems in MF pretty easy.

Great pedals and will run you only about 130. all handmade in austrailia
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional