Hey everyone. I got a used B-52 At-100 Halfstack for christmas today. I had been playing it for a couple of hours when I lost all my heavy distortion and it became all grit. Now when I turn it on, I have to crank both volumes all the way up to even get any sound at all. When I change to the Distortion channel I can't get anything over a grit and a little volume. Anybody know what the problem is or how to fix it?
Quote by guitarjere33
so new pre-amp tubes then?

Probably best to get it looked at first so you don't waste cash on tubes when it may have a different problem.
Take it to a tech? Or take (clear) pictures of the tubes and post here for further "Yes it's dead get ____ tube" posts.

Does sound like preamp tubes though...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Go to a store, pick up a preamp tube, bring it home and starting at the first preamp slot, go through each of the slots with the known good tube to see if that fixes anything.
Actually with the b-52 you can use the (I think check with other people) fx loop preamp tube. just DON"T turn on the fx loop by accident if its off.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I still have the same problem. I even ran my metal master pedal through it and it sounds gritty and is lacking all the distortion.
yeah one of the tubes is messed up

Its ok it happens, not the end of the world.

Just go buy a preamp tube from eurotubes.com its like 20 something bucks, just get the same kind. Go from each preamp tube carefully swapping each one out until the sound comes back.

Just wear gloves and make sure its unplugged.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel