I was finished making a main riff for my song
so I decided to accomplish a chord progression behind it.
Since my riff was in G major, I wanted to make my chord progression
as close to, but not exactly the same, as G major.

So far I only have two chords that I like.

F# and B minor.

I've tried using A major then E major but it just doesn't sound right to me.
Help please?
I don't understand.. if your riff is in G major then your progression should be in G major. And the worst possible key to pick other than G major is F#, because then your chord progression would be a harmonic minor second accommodation to your riff.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
How about you post the main riff of your song? We'll help you from there. But for the progression, start on G major.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Ya, philipp is right. We can decipher a chord progression from your riff that would best suit it. But until then you could try this stuff...

if you don't want it in g major try using E minor. Its not really different cause it's the realtive minor, but it will still make it sound a little different. Maybe you could change the dominant chord(B minor) to B major. That changes it to E harmonic minor but it will definitely have a stronger pull to Em.

You could also try using progressions in the other modes of g major:
-A Dorian
-B Phrygian
-C Lydian
-D Mixolydian
-F# Locrian
Last edited by HarmonicMan at Dec 26, 2008,
TS - Post the riff.
Try to include timing if possible, perhaps even record it and attach an mp3 to your profile or something then people can collaborate with you and suggest suitable ideas for harmonizing the riff.
Si
The way I read it, the TS was just looking for a chord progression and decided that they liked F# minor and B minor, both ARE in G Major.

I assumed they needed help constructing a chord prog. in Gmaj, so either way posting the riff would be helpful.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Quote by TheGallowsPole
The way I read it, the TS was just looking for a chord progression and decided that they liked F# minor and B minor, both ARE in G Major.

I assumed they needed help constructing a chord prog. in Gmaj, so either way posting the riff would be helpful.

there is no F# minor in G major there is only F# diminished, min7b5, and min7#5
Last edited by slayerfrk at Jan 6, 2009,
F#min7b5
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.