Alrite, so, im about to buy a guitar. Problem is, ive only been playing for about 3 months on an acoustic, and i dont know **** about guitars. So i need advice on what to buy. Heres a list of my absolute favorite bands, and if you guys could suggest setups that would allow me to produce these sounds it would be really great!

ALice in chains
The Mars Volta
Velvet revolver
Stone temple pilots
Guns N' Roses
Rage against the machine
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
The White Stripes.
Pearl Jam
AC/DC
Jimi Hendrix
Santana

So please, if theres any advice you could give it would be much appreciated.
HSS Strat. Always play the guitar, don't just buy it online based on reviews
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
Go to a local guitar store, and play different models. Don't worry about being greedy when you're there lol.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
i recommed beginner sets. I have abused my squire set for one and half year, and its still perfectly fine
Quote by J_Se7en
i recommed beginner sets. I have abused my squire set for one and half year, and its still perfectly fine

Yeah, I still play my Epiphone Speical II, it's not versatile, but what it does well... it does well.

However, as a starter a versatile guitar will do better then one not so versatile, a Fender HSS sounds like a good start for you, however an Epiphone Standard LP may not be a bad choice either.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
I'm recommending a Nice cheep Epiphone SG Special with a small 15 watt amp. Nice and easy, $250 and you're set.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

If your budget allows it,epi G-400.That gets you started on the set necks and can give you a heavy enough sound for your kind of music.
And it looks like an SG
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
What've you got to spend?

I wouldn't get a cheap Epiphone personally. They're almost as overrated as cheap Ibanezes. The neck is the slowest piece of shit I've ever had the displeasure of playing on, and the whole guitar just feels really cheap and plastic.
I've tried the Epiphone LP Standard and Custom and the G-400.
All equally bad, although the SG was much worse.
Last edited by Horlicks at Dec 26, 2008,
Probably go with any squier Affinity, trust me, those + a nice set up = GODSMACK.

But if you have some more then go for a Epi g-400, those are nice :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Hmm, Ibanez RG321MH?

They're uber cheap, right?

Get that and a 15watt Peavey Vypyr and away you go.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Based on what you play I'd go with an Epiphone LP, Gibson if you have the budget, its perfect for what you want to play
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
^ Someone buying their first guitar should not spend that kind of money and buy a Gibson
Quote by Bling Dogg
^ Someone buying their first guitar should not spend that kind of money and buy a Gibson

+1. Get something cheap that way you can go to town on it and get to know it 100%.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Get a guitar with an HH setup with a coil tap. And maybe a single coil in the middle. That will give you the most versatility.
Quote by gregs1020
Anyone else notice the TS has left the building?

+1

On topic:
Go to a music store and try every guitar/amp in your price range.
what i would suggest is a squier standard strat (i think thats what theyre called) they run around 99 bucks, or since you like slash, guitar center sells an epiphone special les paul that is only 160 bucks, they also do that with an sg, those come with seymour duncan pickups and are great. epiphone makes a les paul for any price range really so you should check those out
Wow, your first guitar. Cool- I personally love the strats and even more the Telecasters. It can be confusing to understand b/n the different Fender models. This is a good read for someone trying to make sense of it all:

http://stc-shaped-guitar.squier.en.audiofanzine.com/products/reviews/index,idproduit,135936,mao,classic_vibe_stratocaster_60s.html

However, note that the 'real' models are expensive (those made in the US), the ones made in Asia are much cheaper and are fine for beginners at around $100 bucks. Though if you are a PJ fan like I am you will notice that Stone Gossard is a Gibson lover...but I prefer the Fender body...
yamaha pacifica 112v +roland microcube or cube 30x?

depends on budget, really, that's assuming an average beginner's budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello everyone. I am very new to this forum, this is my first post. I have always been interested in learning how to play an electric guitar. I recently purchased a starter kit put out by Squier which comes with a guitar(exactly what InfantofPrague posted above), amp, pics, stand, the whole deal ...

Is it reasonable to think I could possibly teach myself to play using online lessons and instructional DVDs or should I be looking into lessons? I'm not planning on starting a band, this is strictly hobby. I have a good ear for music and can pick things up pretty quickly if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any input and opinions.
Quote by jbarrack
Hello everyone. I am very new to this forum, this is my first post. I have always been interested in learning how to play an electric guitar. I recently purchased a starter kit put out by Squier which comes with a guitar(exactly what InfantofPrague posted above), amp, pics, stand, the whole deal ...

Is it reasonable to think I could possibly teach myself to play using online lessons and instructional DVDs or should I be looking into lessons? I'm not planning on starting a band, this is strictly hobby. I have a good ear for music and can pick things up pretty quickly if that makes a difference.

I would maybe take lessons for a few months, as you're just starting out, and it'll help with the basics so you can develop them. See how that goes, and learn things on your own too. If you think you're making enough progress on your own, you don't really need to continue the lessons. People teach themselves to play all the time (that's what I did, 4.5 years ago, but took lessons for about 3 months), but I think at the very start, lessons will help. At least for a short time.
Quote by jbarrack

it really depends. I've never had a guitar lesson, but that's because when I was younger I took piano and drum lessons for several years, so I wasn't starting from scratch. if you were starting from scratch and had never played a musical instrument before, then lessons would be a very good idea. pretty much what bling dogg said, you'd don't necessarily have to keep taking them indefinitely, but it'd be worth taking a few at the start to make sure you aren't picking up bad habits and to get you on the right track...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. I think I am going to try it out of a while and then take some lessons in the spring. However, I am not sure if there are any places that give lessons around me. Ill have to look into this.
if you have a local guitar shop you could try asking there- maybe they take lessons, or might be able to point you in the direction of someone who could teach you... yellow pages etc. might be worth a look too. making sure the teacher is a member of your local examining/teachers board would be a good idea too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for all of this advice!

but i think i might look at some kind of starter kit that ISNT a squire.

my current acoustic is squire, and I really hate it. playing a song on it is less of a musical performance and more of a fight against the guitar.
If they make a Squire HSS (not sure if they do) then that should do ya fine with a cheapie amp
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by Vrman
thanks for all of this advice!

but i think i might look at some kind of starter kit that ISNT a squire.

my current acoustic is squire, and I really hate it. playing a song on it is less of a musical performance and more of a fight against the guitar.

Watch yourself, man, don't go for one of those Ibanez starter kits that come with a Line 6 Spider III 15, especially if the guitar comes with an Edge III. Go Epiphone LP/SG, but get a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland MicroCube.
Last edited by MRavioli at Jan 5, 2009,