well i got a squier MB5 for christmas and its awesome, plays nice and has a nice tone but whenever i switch it to the neck pickup or the bridge pickup im getting a humming noise from it and well i was wondering what this may be coming from?
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
just the nature of single coil pickups, i'm pretty sure. the bridge is reverse wound from the neck, so having both at equal volume acts like a humbucker to cancel out the noise. soloing one or the other will produce some hum. if it's really a problem, it could be a shielding issue that could be fixed pretty easily.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
if it's not a shielding problem you could get a noise suppressor if it's loud enough to really bother you.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
+1, it's probably the well known problem of single coil hum. When you get the hum, try turning round or moving about a little. This might take you away from the field of the source of the interference.
You'll probably find the interference is due to a large electrical item. TV's, radios, and amps are particularly guilty, as are mobile phones. Even fridges, washing machines, etc., can get in on the act.
A top quality lead sometimes helps cut out some noise.