Page 1 of 2
How do you guys do this? I've tried it before. Gone the first day or two pulling in about 10 hours average.
However, the third day comes and my fingers are ****ed. I don't see how you guys can just pull it off. Maybe I just have pussy callouses? I don't know, but playing 20 hours of guitar in a 48 hour period just effs my fingertips up for a day or two. Thoughts? Suggestions?
It's unnecessary; very few people can manage 10 hour practices. Between three and five is plenty.
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
I practice 'til I get bored. If that means 30 minutes, fine. If that means waking up at 8 AM, and playing guitar, only stopping for food and etc. till 11 PM, fine. Don't force it. And don't worry if you don't practice that much; you don't need to.
You need to build up to that amount. Start with an hour a day.

then two

then three

then four

then five

then six

then seven

then eight

see? building blocks.
wtf....10 hours? Unless you playing 10 hours because of enjoyment....your just trying to hard to shred.

Unnecessary......

You sleep for around 8 hours....that gives you 16 hours left

Then you eat for maybe 2?

14 hours

let me just stop their....thatd give u 4 hours...to shower move around...work...go to school....wtf are you smoking?
most I've played before was 14 hours, (yes this is true. This was the first day I gotm y guitar).
I usually play bout half an hour to 2 hours.
Quote by rafa7008
Practicing 8 hours the day?
Get a girl bro.

Well like I don't regularly practice that extreme. Only sometimes. But I can' t do it that long. I regularly practice 3-5 hours I guess. Sometimes more or less.
I don't know. I just do it. My fingers hurt like hell after 10 hours but after a good night's sleep I'm good.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

every 50 minutes of practicing take a break, durin the break make sure you massage your hands and fingers and stretch out your arms and wrists. the stuff john petrucci does in the rock discipline video for warmups, those kinda things are good to do durin your 10 minute break. you just gotta give your fingers a bit of a rest and get some more blood flowin in them and also build up to 10 hours dont just immediatly go to it, you definitely dont want carpal tunnel
Quote by Majin Gaara
Well like I don't regularly practice that extreme. Only sometimes. But I can' t do it that long. I regularly practice 3-5 hours I guess. Sometimes more or less.

Practice 'till you get bored, it's not a job, it's a hobbie.
Quote by rafa7008
Practicing 8 hours the day?
Get a girl bro.

That's what the practice will get you, eventually. Maybe. Or musical fulfillment.

Apparently John Coltrane was known to practice for 12 and 14 hours sometimes. Crazy mother****er.

I think my old guitar teacher did 6 hours a day. 2 sets of 3 hours, not that daunting when you break it into 2 practices.
I sometimes practise for 12 hours a day.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Do it while watching TV.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by thelurker
You realize that you are asking The Pit?

Most of us haven't touched our guitars in weeks, let alone practiced for 8 hours a day.

go away and play your guitar
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
why the **** would you ever want to practice that long at a time?
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
If you practice for 10 hours a day, I'd betcha you're practicing superfluous items. Narrow it down to what you want to work on each day.

Also, my wrong forum sensors are tingling. Though they have been wrong before.

*mosies on out of thread*
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Do it while watching TV.

No, if you do this your just ****ing around and it's not practicing. 3 hours of actual "practicing" is enough.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Work your way up.
If you play for 3 hours every day, then suddenly do 10 hours, your fingers won't be ready for it.

Gradually increase the time you play for each day.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Work your way up.
If you play for 3 hours every day, then suddenly do 10 hours, your fingers won't be ready for it.

I have never had any problems with my fingers hurting after playing since like my first two weeks or something. And even then it wasn't bad. I use heavy strings.
Quote by deanfreak93
No, if you do this your just ****ing around and it's not practicing. 3 hours of actual "practicing" is enough.

It works for me, chum. The white noise helps me concentrate.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
That's what the practice will get you, eventually. Maybe. Or musical fulfillment.

Apparently John Coltrane was known to practice for 12 and 14 hours sometimes. Crazy mother****er.

I think my old guitar teacher did 6 hours a day. 2 sets of 3 hours, not that daunting when you break it into 2 practices.

I think Petrucci did 6hrs/day too, and he turned out pretty well. Coltrane's pretty nuts
I practice frequently and sporadically. I spend a lot of time at my computer and most of that time is spent with my guitar in my hands. No pressure, just spend time with it.
We're only strays.
Quote by Flying Couch
I practice 'til I get bored. If that means 30 minutes, fine. If that means waking up at 8 AM, and playing guitar, only stopping for food and etc. till 11 PM, fine. Don't force it. And don't worry if you don't practice that much; you don't need to.

I'm the same. I just recognize that I'm going to have days where I'm feeling great and can practice a lot, and days where I get frustrated or don't want to. I used to force myself to practice, but it really wasn't doing any good. I figure it all pretty much evens out.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
That's just stupid to force it. You could get much more out of it if you simply budget your time. If you set yourself at a certain time period, you are just going to be burning away your time, not improving at all. Improving your guitar skills is not proportional to the amount of time you sit in your room with your guitar in your lap...

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Flying Couch

This is what I do. Whenever I want, I just pick up my guitar and play until I'm bored. All together, the hours I play each day probably equals 3 or 4.
Very rarely do I practice 6-10 hours a day. Although, I have done it a fair share of times. I practice a good concentrated 2-3 hours a day at least, and it pays off.
I have practiced some days like 10 or 12 hours, normally I play like 4 hours.
I didn't do anything to play that much, just started playing and after some time my clock told me it was time to sleep
be wary of such long practice routines. sometimes learning can be done in the mind.

if you're practicing for such long stretches. fatigue can sometimes set in and will lead less precise, more gross movements which can undo all your good habits of playing cleanly.

but hey, only you know your limit.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Any more I dont really play all that much.

When I DO play, I play for a good 6 hours or more. I just prefer to WRITE music than to play it...I dont know why.

I get better the more breaks I take though, so, no complaints here

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112