so heres what i want to do. I used to own this old fender lead 3, neck and bridge switch positions with coiltapping humbuckers with a second switch to set either pickup as a single coil.
anyways i sold it but they still have it at the store i sold it to. so nowadays i own a 60's style strat and a jaguar.
so heres my idea.

I want to take the lead 3 and take the pickups out and fill it with the neck pickups from the strat (so that would be 4 of them 2 in the neck position and 2 in the bridge position all wired up as coiltapped humbuckers) and then in the bridge position i want to wire it up with the high band pass filter switch that the jaguar has on it.

whats everyone think about this? doable? any tips on how to go about doing it?
it sounds doable, but dont take it from me, i have very little experience with operating on guitars. but i will say you wont regret the coil taps, i have them on my guitar and i love them, its one of my favorite features on a guitar
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
it sounds doable, but dont take it from me, i have very little experience with operating on guitars. but i will say you wont regret the coil taps, i have them on my guitar and i love them, its one of my favorite features on a guitar

best part is the lead 3 is already wired up that way i just need to replace the pickups idk if replaing a straight humbucker with 2 singlecoils will be the same tho.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
60's style or 60's strat. if its vintage then don't touch it or i will hurt you.

60's style reissue not an old 60's one lol. i'd still mod the **** out of it if it were cause how ballin would that be?
seriously tho anyone have any thoughts?
i've decided i want to put a floyd rose on it too.
so... you're going to take two single coils and wire them in parralell in the bridge and neck, instead of getting humbuckers?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
so... you're going to take two single coils and wire them in parralell in the bridge and neck, instead of getting humbuckers?

yes cause i absolutely love the sound on fender neck pickups.
does it work like that?
I don't think you're going to get the effect you want, just buy some humbuckers.
Quote by Thomme
I don't think you're going to get the effect you want, just buy some humbuckers.

im pretty sure all hummbuckers are is 2 single coils with reversed polarity laid out next to each other
so if i buy strat single coils and put one in one way and one backwards im thinking it should work.
the guitar is already wired up to coil tap so the point of this whole process is to end up with a guitar that sounds like a strat on the rhythm circuit and a super trebbly jaguar on the lead circuit but a lot of the times i feel like the sounds on those guitar is too thin thus the humbucking action.
Quote by Against Him?
im pretty sure all hummbuckers are is 2 single coils with reversed polarity laid out next to each other
so if i buy strat single coils and put one in one way and one backwards im thinking it should work.
the guitar is already wired up to coil tap so the point of this whole process is to end up with a guitar that sounds like a strat on the rhythm circuit and a super trebbly jaguar on the lead circuit but a lot of the times i feel like the sounds on those guitar is too thin thus the humbucking action.

in theory, yes, but simply turning a pickup around won't achieve this effect. I turned the center p'up in my strat around, and positions 2 and 3 are not humbucking positions, not do they sound any thicker or fuller than they previously did, like a humbucker should. It would definately achieve you a differant sound, but not the sound you're going for.
Now, let me see if I can quite understand this: you're going to take the Lead II, by it back from the store, take out the two humbuckers, take the single coils from your strat and put them in (so... you have 4 SC's in your strat?) and then wire each set of 2 pickups in parralell in order to create makeshift HB's and then use push/pulls to coil tap the single coils, then add a high-band pass?

I'm completely lost.... But, taking two single coils, putting every other one in backwards and wiring them in parralell doesn't give you humbuckers, automatically. Each coil has to have opposite polarity, as well as winding in order to achieve a good, thick, humbucker tone. You'll get an interesting tone, no doubt, but not quite what you're expecting.
Quote by Thomme
in theory, yes, but simply turning a pickup around won't achieve this effect. I turned the center p'up in my strat around, and positions 2 and 3 are not humbucking positions, not do they sound any thicker or fuller than they previously did, like a humbucker should. It would definately achieve you a differant sound, but not the sound you're going for.
Now, let me see if I can quite understand this: you're going to take the Lead II, by it back from the store, take out the two humbuckers, take the single coils from your strat and put them in (so... you have 4 SC's in your strat?) and then wire each set of 2 pickups in parralell in order to create makeshift HB's and then use push/pulls to coil tap the single coils, then add a high-band pass?

I'm completely lost.... But, taking two single coils, putting every other one in backwards and wiring them in parralell doesn't give you humbuckers, automatically. Each coil has to have opposite polarity, as well as winding in order to achieve a good, thick, humbucker tone. You'll get an interesting tone, no doubt, but not quite what you're expecting.

basically yes. its a lead 3 actually and that guitar comes stock wired up to coil tap its 2 humbuckers but basically i think the way the lead 3 is wired up is not as much as 2 coiltapping humbuckers would normally be wired up. instead it has a switch for each pickup and each switch has 3 positions allowing you to set the pickup to complelye off single coil or humbucker so in essense i'm thinking all the switch does is have one position to bypass the pickup completely, one to bypass one of the single coil pickups and one to use both of the single coil pickups in effect making them a humbucker. so yea i would i have to buy more strat pickups since my strat only has 3 obviously and i need 4 and i'm also not sure if all the pickups on a strat are exactly the same and i want all of mine to be the neck pickup if there is an difference.

a jaguar comes with 2 single coil pickups and 4 switches you have one switch that sets you from "rhythm circtuit" to "lead circuit" which I think changes the value of the resistors used to achieve a brighter tone. the next 2 switches are on/off switches for the neck and bridge single coil pickups. and finally the last switch is special. it turns on a "high band pass filter" which is basically a transister set up that filters out low frequencies noises and gives the guitar that characteristic scream squealy feedback sound used by bands like the pixies, nirvana, sonic youth, etc. so all it is is a switch and wiring and **** so i just want to take it out and put it into the lead 3.
also i'm thinking i might used the jaguar pickups to supplement the strat pickups so i dont' have to buy more cause i hear that jag pickups are just stratpickups with a casing around them to reduce pickup noise.

and to end all this work out i want to rout the body out and install a floyd rose.

also i think that the reason you're pickups arent humbucking is beacuse all you did was flip around the center one right? magnetic fields diminish in strength as you get farther away from them so i think to get that effect the pickups have to be right next to each other. but if this isnt the case i might have to order reverse polarity strat pickups which i bet i can do somewhere.
woops, I was wrong, HB's are wired in series, when you wire them in parralell, they sound like single coils. So, if you wire yours up in series and have a reverse polarity, reverse wound single coil in series with a standard, you'll have yourself a makeshift humbucker. It's the wired in series that you have to make sure to do. Then you should get an interesting sound. Come to think of it, the old Dano's (like late 90's) used to just have two lipstick tube pups in series for their humbuckers.

Also, reverse wound pickups noise cancel, that's why center position pickups are reverse wound so often in newer strats, so positions 2 and 4 are noise cancelling, but if you reverse the pickup, you reverse the polarity and not the winding. There's a lot of little things about this stuff that's annoying. But, totally, try it out. I'd love to hear clips once you do it, it should sound good. The switches for the "Jag Style" controls aren't hard to do at all, it's litterally just a capacitor on a switch.
Quote by Thomme
woops, I was wrong, HB's are wired in series, when you wire them in parralell, they sound like single coils. So, if you wire yours up in series and have a reverse polarity, reverse wound single coil in series with a standard, you'll have yourself a makeshift humbucker. It's the wired in series that you have to make sure to do. Then you should get an interesting sound. Come to think of it, the old Dano's (like late 90's) used to just have two lipstick tube pups in series for their humbuckers.

Also, reverse wound pickups noise cancel, that's why center position pickups are reverse wound so often in newer strats, so positions 2 and 4 are noise cancelling, but if you reverse the pickup, you reverse the polarity and not the winding. There's a lot of little things about this stuff that's annoying. But, totally, try it out. I'd love to hear clips once you do it, it should sound good. The switches for the "Jag Style" controls aren't hard to do at all, it's litterally just a capacitor on a switch.

so do i just need to take 2 identical single coils and put one in one way and the other in the other way? or do I need to buy special reverse wound pickups?