How big a difference in sound quality in your recordings, could you tell when you finally put a dent into your bank account and finally owned a better, $1k+ guitar amp?

...in my situation, versus a 6" speaker practice amp :P I'm looking forward to better recordings XD

but I wanna hear your stories as well :P
I haven't recorded with it yet, but I recently bought a Mesa Lonestar. I hate to say it, but depending on which guitar I'm playing, my Peavey Valveking 112 still sounds great, too. I don't think it's particularly about sounding better - it's about using the right tool at the right time. Both amps sound great in their own right.
My recordings started sounding better as I learned more about recording and got some decent mics, and practiced recording. They also got measurably better when I bought some proper monitors.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
No point getting a better amp if your mic is bad :P
I forgot that when i bought my Peavey VK 212, but just got the Shure SM57 and now my recordings sound like sex.
Love is my religion
From the Led Zeppelin website:

In Page's own words, he recorded Zeppelin I "with a Telecaster, a tiny Supro amp and just a couple of pedals."

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=assorted11

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

For miking a guitar cab...

Shure SM57
Sennheiser MD421
Sennheiser e609

Any of those would represent a fantastic start, and none of them are expensive. (you know... in context of professional recording mics)

CT