An unfortunate accident happened driving to a show, one wrong sharp turn, big bass cab picked up momentum..and smashed into my poor guitar. Decapitating my Goth Epiphone Studio guitar's headstock from the neck. HOWEVER, it was a clean break, no splinters. PICS BELOW

Now before you judge my apartment floor/sheetless mattress, and it looking that of well..an aspiring musician (let alone most male's in their early 20's), lets get back to the problem at hand.
Ive done some research and have gotten back mixed opinions on what to do.

Ive thought about self repairing, Ive seen many videos/stories on the web repairing a broken headstock like the one I have, it doesnt seem to hard but im kind of weary on the sound it may produce. Most say the woodglue actually makes its stronger and doesnt actually dampen the guitars sound.

But part of me, wants to give it to a professional tech and let him/her deal with it. Only thing is, Im not sure of the price.

Your guys opinion on this would be GREATLY appreciated, right now im leaning towards fixing myself. Ive seen a bunch of do it yourself jobs, im a self learner and a do-it-yourselfer so it seems up my alley. I just dont want to F-up.

Again, your opinions/answers are GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. Would any of you judging by the pics, be able to tell me a repair cost?
try fixing it yourself and if it doesn't work buy a better guitar. It's a hell of an excuse isn't it?
Quote by Vikingx
try fixing it yourself and if it doesn't work buy a better guitar. It's a hell of an excuse isn't it?

Amen. Surely you can do better than a Goth Studio?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I've glued an epi sg head back together before, it didn't affect the sound or anything could have used some finishing touch up after but it's a beater and project guitar andit never bothered me. Wood glue (like tightbond) when clamped good and left to dry for overnight will be stronger than wood. Scarf jointed headstocks are glued and it won't affect the sound at all. The good thing is that's a very clean break and shouldn't be hard to glue back together. Use plenty of glue and spread it around evenly and not too thick then clamp it together with some cork or cardboard or something to protect the guitar. 2 or 3 clamps should be enough. I'd wait 24 hours to string it up than it's as good as new.
Quote by 420 FREAK
good as new.

Again; it's a great excuse to get a new guitar.
I appreciate the input from you guys so far. And I hear ya, unfortunately my wallet cannot do better than the standard goth epi. But from fixing it yourself, I dont have to use the money Im saving up for the new ibanez beauty im looking at.

KEEP THE OPINIONS COMING! Much appreciated fellas.
Last edited by CitizenSeeks at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by CitizenSeeks
I appreciate the input from you guys so far. And I hear ya, unfortunately my wallet cannot do better than the standard goth epi. But from fixing it yourself, I dont have the money Im saving up for the new ibanez beauty im looking at.

KEEP THE OPINIONS COMING! Much appreciated fellas.

Seriously, give it a shot. Especially if you're short on cash. Right now it's timber so what do you have to lose?