I've got a guitar neck, with a nut that's about one notch under half a millimeter from the fretboard. (At the highest point of the nut that is, the low E string)

Is this too large, should I get a new one and put there instead?
Only change the nut if it's actually causing problems.

And don't bump within 24hrs of your original post - definitely do NOT bump after ~30mins, like you did today. Nobody will help if you aren't patient.
Thanks, and my bad, it was more out of boredom, either way, I shouldn't have posted.

I've been banned before..I hate being banned it's murder on a UGER

Well thank you for the help it's much appreciated, hopefully it shouldn't play too bad, I'm just afraid the action may be too high.
Wait, this guy was too busy being an asshat to read your post, is the nut already installed in the neck? Is the neck already installed in a body? If the nut is not to scale with the slot in the guitar then don't try to force it.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by FendermanOC
Wait, this guy was too busy being an asshat to read your post, is the nut already installed in the neck? Is the neck already installed in a body? If the nut is not to scale with the slot in the guitar then don't try to force it.

I wasn't an asshat - I gave advice.

Lawl, you naughty little scamp! Trying to cause trouble is so 2007.

Like I said, don't change the nut out unless the old nut is totally raped. If you feel confident, try cutting the offending slots down slightly - make TINY increments, restring, then check.

Edit: To me, the OP reads like the nut is installed, but badly-cut slots are stopping him having uber-low action.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Edit: To me, the OP reads like the nut is installed, but badly-cut slots are stopping him having uber-low action.

I'm not looking for SUPER low action I'm just looking for lower, the strings feel like an inch off the fretboard. I don't know, It plays fine but I'm wondering if it'll give me a problem anytime soon.
Well if the nut is that low, half a millimeter that is...., then the action is being caused from something else.

The nut is one of the last things I would consider when it feels like your strings are an inch off the fretboard. Check the saddles, see if they can be lowered. Check your neck and see what it looks like.

I wouldn't dick with the nut, it's not causing high action problems.
Take a pic so we know what your talking about. An improperly installed nut can create problems.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I wasn't an asshat - I gave advice.

Lawl, you naughty little scamp! Trying to cause trouble is so 2007.

Like I said, don't change the nut out unless the old nut is totally raped. If you feel confident, try cutting the offending slots down slightly - make TINY increments, restring, then check.

Ah, look who is speaking!

We 07ers do not call ourselfs newbies neither experts. I think the most discrete users are from 2007

/offtopic conversation about nonsense related to join date tu www.ultimate-guitar.com
Quote by divinorum69
Ah, look who is speaking!

We 07ers do not call ourselfs newbies neither experts. I think the most discrete users are from 2007

/offtopic conversation about nonsense related to join date tu www.ultimate-guitar.com

I didn't mean join date! .. just that being naughty is SO last year, and isn't fashionable!

OP.. any progress?
None so far. I've got a picture, but I don't know, More so, i think the nut is plastic so I'm also thinking that's a no no. I added a picture so, Idk should I be worried?The Nut on my special faded sg is no where near that high.
Attachments:
1227081145.jpg