I want to play bands like weezer for example. I want an amp I can practice with and use at gigs (probably just mike a combo amp?). I want to have a foot pedal to switch between a clean and a distortion.

I have a peavey classic 30 now, will this work? Do I need to get a OD pedal or something?

Should I get another amp? and trade in my classic 30

If you need more info, let me know what you need.

....I've been playing using a friends marshall half stack with a built in 5-6 button pedal to switch between acoustic sim, od1, od2, and a few others. I like his amp, but don't think i really need to get a half stack.
Your classic 30 is perfect, I don't see why you should have to switch at all. Just but a footswitch (peavey makes some really crappy plastic ones for $35 but it's the only one that works) and you'll be set. You shouldn't even need an OD pedal, my old band played music like that with a Classic 50 which is harder to drive than a 30.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
classic 30 will be fine, plus they sound good. any venue you'd play at will mic your combo and you'll be fine as far as volume.... halfstacks are so un-needed! especially cause the money you'd spend on a crappy stack (marshall avt, b52 etc...) you could be buying a great sounding (and in many cases louder!) tube amp (peavey classic's... fender deville... etc)

check out some good OD pedals (fulltone, zvex bor, mi audio crunchbox, etc.) and remember... if you buy a $20 ds1 or OD1... your nice tube amp will only sound like a $20 ds1 or od1!
The Classic 30 is a wonderful amp. I hope to own one someday.

Your amp can do it just fine. Just turn up your preamp distortion along with your master.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Caged_Wisdom
classic 30 will be fine, plus they sound good. any venue you'd play at will mic your combo and you'll be fine as far as volume.... halfstacks are so un-needed! especially cause the money you'd spend on a crappy stack (marshall avt, b52 etc...) you could be buying a great sounding (and in many cases louder!) tube amp (peavey classic's... fender deville... etc)

check out some good OD pedals (fulltone, zvex bor, mi audio crunchbox, etc.) and remember... if you buy a $20 ds1 or OD1... your nice tube amp will only sound like a $20 ds1 or od1!

^ I was with you until you mentioned the DS-1. In a good tube amp, the DS-1 sounds AMAZING. You just need to know how to EQ it. I have developed my own original tone with just a DS-1, Tele, and my Champ. It's unlike anything I've heard before and it's incredible. Too many people knock the DS-1 because it's cheap, and lots of beginners buy them. Satch uses(used) them for years. In fact, Weezer use DS1's and DS2's (or they did in the past, either way). I highly recommend picking one up if you have $40 to kick around.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 26, 2008,
there's no music stores nearby for me to test this out. so any recommendations on the best pedal to get to give me that weezer type sound i'm looking for? I'm listen to some youtube stuff of the mi audio crunchbox and it sounds good, but will it sound like that with my amp too? or just with whatever amp they're using?

here is the crunchbox video...if i can get my peavey classic 30 with my fender strat to sound like that i'll be happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdoq7FmLhQ