Page 1 of 2
I've always had like a musical integrity battle since I started playing in bands. My first love has always been metal. But I love and often pump out much lighter material. My axe of choice has been my Dean Razorback, and the band I'm in has been metal for the last year. Lately though all of us have been wanting to go lighter like Blink-182/Foo Fighers/Sublime/Rise Against (I'm dragging my feet since I'm a metalhead at my core. But in the end I'm caving cause I'm sick of losing my voice after every show. I sing/scream too.) I do love the music were playing now so its not really selling out I guess. But it feels that way a little.

This is probably the stupidest post I have ever typed. But I feel like I just shouldn't play this music on my razorback. It's my main axe, I've used it for two years now. But it kinda feels like sacrilege or something.

So whats your opinion? does the kind of guitar even matter? Do you expect to see a certain kind of look, based on the band and what not?
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
ur right, that was stupid.

Who cares what you play as long as you like it?
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

On one level, its silly to say that you cant play pop rock on a razorback.

But on a whole other level, anyone who's played a few live shows would tell you that it feels silly to play pop on a razorback.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
you are worried about playing your guitar to the genre that it was made to play???

really?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by imdeth
Wow, that's pretty dumb.

Dave Mustaine could use a hello kitty guitar and I'd still listen to him.

But thats hello kitty, that'd be bad ass.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
lol tech death on a hello kitty guitar
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
i think you should worry less about integrity and worry more how youll look playing blink 182 on a dean razorback
You shouldn't play it on the RAzorback, but not because it's "sacrilege", but because that guitar isn't designed for that.

EDIT: Also, as stated above, you will look rather strange and/or silly playing op-flavored music on a Razorback.

But hey, everyone could use a gimmick. That just might be yours
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Last edited by ExtremeMetalFTW at Dec 26, 2008,
nobody cares, if they do, it doesn't matter anyways.
play what you want to play on whatever instrument you want to play it on.

voila. end of discussion.
Quote by ZeBubba!
But thats hello kitty, that'd be bad ass.

Yeah OK he could play a Dereck Whibley (sp) Squier and I'd still listen to him.
Quote by digimon go!
i think you should worry less about integrity and worry more how youll look playing blink 182 on a dean razorback

I think people like you need to grow the hell up and stop worrying how you look.

Its about the music, not the look, otherwise u end up like the pricks in kiss or slipknot.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
I think people like you need to grow the hell up and stop worrying how you look.

Its about the music, not the look, otherwise u end up like the pricks in kiss or slipknot.

dude, you need to quit trying to suck my dick all the time
Quote by kaosfire

The look (or lack therof in certain cases) is important when playing live

Otherwise theres little reason to go to a show when you could just listen to the cd at home
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by kaosfire

This.

David Allen Coe played country on a Dimebag guitar for a while. He still might. It wasn't a razorback and this is irrelevant but I thought I'd mention it.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Otherwise theres little reason to go to a show when you could just listen to the cd at home

The live music.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by mikeman
buy a strat for fcuks sake!

It's his choice, what he wants to play for fcuks sake!
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Quote by digimon go!

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Fail. If I knew a show was gonna sound exactly like the record but have a little more visual stimulation I would not pay to see it.
Quote by ZeBubba!
I've always had like a musical integrity battle since I started playing in bands. My first love has always been metal. But I love and often pump out much lighter material. My axe of choice has been my Dean Razorback, and the band I'm in has been metal for the last year. Lately though all of us have been wanting to go lighter like Blink-182/Foo Fighers/Sublime/Rise Against (I'm dragging my feet since I'm a metalhead at my core. But in the end I'm caving cause I'm sick of losing my voice after every show. I sing/scream too.) I do love the music were playing now so its not really selling out I guess. But it feels that way a little.

This is probably the stupidest post I have ever typed. But I feel like I just shouldn't play this music on my razorback. It's my main axe, I've used it for two years now. But it kinda feels like sacrilege or something.

So whats your opinion? does the kind of guitar even matter? Do you expect to see a certain kind of look, based on the band and what not?

John 5 plays a telecaster. Think about that.

And stop worrying about selling out. You aren't selling anything.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by digimon go!

Who taught the 10 year old how to get on the internet?

Anyway, you could play metal on a telecaster, or bubble gum pop on a Jackson with pentagrams all over it. The guitar lookwise doesnt matter, unless you are incredibly shallow.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by kaosfire

Who taught the 10 year old how to get on the internet?

Anyway, you could play metal on a telecaster, or bubble gum pop on a Jackson with pentagrams all over it. The guitar lookwise doesnt matter, unless you are incredibly shallow.

well i am incredibly shallow, so it does matter, thus, i hath negated your post
Quote by kaosfire
The live music.

Therein lies the "little"

although we all sometimes artists can't live up to the expectations.

but you go to a show to be entertained, and true entertainers try to satisfy as amny senses as possible
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by BigFatSandwich
John 5 plays a telecaster. Think about that.

And stop worrying about selling out. You aren't selling anything.

His modded though and doens't have a standard finish.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Therein lies the "little"

although we all sometimes artists can't live up to the expectations.

but you go to a show to be entertained, and true entertainers try to satisfy as amny senses as possible

Is it the guitar that entertains you or what they physically do onstage?
Quote by Primus2112

Everything looks better on a Medusa guitar.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
His modded though and doens't have a standard finish.

I know, but it's still a telecaster and it doesn't look like what he's supposed to be playing. But he makes it work and no one cares.

Which is why the type of guitar you're playing doesn't matter as long as you're playing it well and getting a good sound out of it.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by kaosfire
Is it the guitar that entertains you or what they physically do onstage?

That depends.

If it's anything with intensity I wouldn't pay to attention to the guitar, except perhaps to admire it.

However, if he guy's playing "hey there delilah" on a Dean Razorback, id probably be laughing at the hilarity of the situation,=
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
ya if you can get a good clean (and dirty) tone your happy with go for it man,i was just thinkin the pickups output might be a bit high, but ya man if you got the tone doesnt matter what guitar the way i look at it
Quote by SuperKoolKid

Thats debateable
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Even by that logic. Pop-punk+razorback= instant entertainment.

Yes I agree with taht.

As I stated before earlier, it could become his gimmick.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I know, but it's still a telecaster and it doesn't look like what he's supposed to be playing. But he makes it work and no one cares.

Which is why the type of guitar you're playing doesn't matter as long as you're playing it well and getting a good sound out of it.

Well that's entirely different.

Playing metal with a Tele =/= playing pop-punk with a razorback
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Do what you want to do.

Selling out would be playing other genres in order to gain money/fame, not playing other genres because you want to. You're not selling out, just broadening your horizons

As far as the guitar
a guitar's, a guitar. if it sounds good, play it.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Well that's entirely different.

Playing metal with a Tele =/= playing pop-punk with a razorback

From your metalhead perspective.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by SuperKoolKid

Why would you want a guitar that turns your audience to stone?

That would be bad for album sales
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by kaosfire
From your metalhead perspective.

Well the pups and all aren't waht makes it odd, it's the bodyshape.

You see, metal's sound is based on teh guitar's hardware and the amp, and the rest doesn't really matter.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Page 1 of 2