Hey guys so for christmas here i got a shure sm57 mic... I was micing up one amp to the other and so on.... I decided i wanted to get started with recording. Now im on a budget of about 300$ tell me if you think this will be a half decent starter recording... and give suggestions...

USB interface: MAUDIO FAST TRACK USB
MONITORS: Studiophile AV 30 MAUDIO
HEADPHONES: AKG K99 Semi-Open Circumaural
SOFWARE:CUBASE
MICS: SM58 SM57

Would this be a good start to recording and do you plug in studio monitors into the audio interface or the computer... thanks for your help
Guitars:
Dean Razorback Explosion =D
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:
Line 6 Spider II :S
Peavey ValveKIng Halfstack

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
You want the Studio Monitors to have the output of your mix. So more than likely it's after the audio interface. However everyone is different.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
In order for a condenser mic like the sm57 or 58 to work, you need to buy a phantom power supply. Most interfaces have it built-in but the fast track usb doesn't. Behrhinger has one that is not pricy, it's around 25$. I am really not an expert but other than that i think your setup looks fine.
The fast track USB is an ok interface, the EMU 0202 USB is a better choice IMO.

Those monitors are not worth it, save up for some KRKs with power inputs and audio inputs on both sides. The older KRK RP5s are just $100 each if you can find them on ebay.

The headphones and sequencer are both good as are the mics. You may just want to just stick with the 57 for a while as it can be used for vocals and amps.

- Install your sequencer (cubase)
- Download the latest drivers for your interface.
- Plug into the interface and locate the drivers you just installed.
- Connect your monitors to the control room outs of the interface
- plug in mics or instruments into the interface
- start Cubase
- Set the inputs and outputs to the interface
- arm tracks
The only obvious flaw I see is having both headphones and monitors. If your on a budget pick one, you don't NEED both, and you'll end up with something better.
Quote by BlockDude_Qc
In order for a condenser mic like the sm57 or 58 to work, you need to buy a phantom power supply. Most interfaces have it built-in but the fast track usb doesn't. Behrhinger has one that is not pricy, it's around 25$. I am really not an expert but other than that i think your setup looks fine.

This is not true. I have an SM57, and it works without phantom power. All you need to do is plug it in and record.
^ Yeah exactly.

The 57 is a dynamic mic, not a condenser.

Still, it would be smart to get something with phantom power so if you do end up wanting to use a condenser mic you aren't limited...
Agreed with the 57 working without phantom since it is a dynamic not a condenser.

I would also agree with getting just monitors OR headphones (I would go with headphones personally to save even more money for the interface) while on a tight budget. I would spend that money on a better interface. I would sugest not getting the fasttrack. or if you do go for the pro/ultra versions.

Other than that though you look good.

-Ryan
not sure how I missed that post but yea the Shure SM57 and SM58 are dynamic mics. They do not need phantom power to work, only a preamp.

Condenser mics like the MXL 990, 991, or Rode NT1A need phantom power AND a preamp to operate.