Search bar came up with nothing, and as part of this thread WILL be related to music, not all of it will be, and of that definitely all not to one genre.

I'm starting this thread as a place for discussion between all types of artists, be they in the field of music, visual art, film or literature (though I assume that all users on this forum play a musical instrument) et cetera, on what moves them to create and, by knowing this, to come to a conclusion about which mindset is best to have whilst creating.

Obviously everyone will have a different opinion on this matter, though no doubt some FACTS of art will arise, which we should all be able to agree upon. Everyone's opinions are to be respected, and I'd like to keep this thread clean language-wise, if possible.

Some ideologies I have come across/found useful in my time as an artist:

1. Practice makes perfect/practice like you're the worst, play like you're the best.
The latter statement I first heard from a fellow UGer (sorry my friend, I do not remember your name so I cannot cite you). Obviously this can be applied to the trade/tools of any creative individual, as painters, writers (I am first and foremost a writer myself) always must practice to become competent at their craft.

2. Some words I heard from Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost, regarding modern metal music and guitar 'fret wankery'. He claimed that younger guitarists looking upon Celtic Frost's material as primitive were missing the point, as it is more about the emotion of the riffs as opposed to how complicated they are. This was perhaps said more clearly by Darrell Abbot of Pantera, from whom I heard 'Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger weren't the greatest singers, but they got their point across.' and that (imo) is what is most important.

3. Max Cavalera, who I first saw on the Roadrunner United dvd, and who spoke briefly but inspiringly about vibes in music, and how "vibes" can be layered rhythmically or otherwise to create an original overall vibe, and this is a key principle of artistic collaboration. Some of his other outlooks (on Youtube primarily) are interesting and inspiring.

4. Ray Bradbury: His book 'Zen In The Art Of Writing' deals with many artistic concepts, the most useful of which I found was his theory of Work = Love = Art, in which emotionally investing yourself completely in the current project work can consume you and inspire better art than LSD, possibly.

5. Robert Louis Stevenson, not in words so much as in his reputation for finishing major works such as 'The Strange Case Of Doctor Jekyll And Mr Hyde' in three days. The short time in which he produced this ensured that he was in a very consistent mindset during creation of the book, and this makes the final product very solid.

6. Holden Caulfield - I won't attribute this to the writer of 'The Catcher In The Rye', J.D. Salinger,but rather to its lead character and narrator, who make observation that 'If I could play piano (really well), I'd play in the goddamn closet'. I think the overall point of this observation is that artistic catharsis is more important than performance.

7. Maynard James Keenan - That lyrics aren't really important, that's it's more the tone of the words and the mood of the music which should come first. The lyrics are really only to provide a rough guide, but the real meaning of the song should be open to interpretation.

8. Ronnie James Dio - 'Music is for the masses.'

9. Adam Jones - Not for his guitarwork so much as for his artwork, which I find to be truly amazing from what I've seen. I'm not sure what motive/impulse he has when he creates his wonderfully disturbing models, but he seems to brings a 'dream logic' to anything he does.

NOTE: All of the above are not established facts but rather things I have intuited/learned during my time as a creative individual. As these have been taken from my viewpoint, it may not make sense to the casual reader, so I will elaborate on/further rationalise any of these points if asked to.

tl;dr: For what reasons do you make your art, and what mindset do you find best for being creative?
I guess it's more of a regression for me. As a Metalhead (shock) I like how primal the energy around the genre is. I'm not an angry or energetic person normally, but it allows me to release a side of my self I secretly like. So when I'm writing a riff, or failing to write a solo, I guess I'm considering it more as a way of channeling a basic instinct to fight in to the guitar.

But yeah. I don't really think about it to much.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips