Ok, a while ago, i was posting about choosing either a Duff Mckagan signiature and a Squier Classic vibe with a better amp. Many of you suggested a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, which I subsequently went to check out as soon as it was in stock at the local store.

Now, given the fact that it was so highly recommended by many, i came into the store with very high hopes. But when i tried the bass out, not only did the neck feel flat and and usable compared to the classic vibe, but the bridge was also a mile from the body. it felt horrible to play. Now granted, they had just gotten the bass and taken it out of the package when i got there, so the bridge was a little offset (the E string was half and inch closer to the pickups than the rest, so it had a large booming sound while the rest of the strings were almost silent. The whole point is that the bass felt worse to play than the squier. Sound wise it was alright, but when i AB'd it next to a cheap Affinity jazz bass that I found nearby through 3 different amps, the aerodyne did not sound $500 better. Sure the sound was good, but just not really all that much better, and i think the fact that an affinity squier sounded pretty much as good as an aerodyne is either a testament to my horrible hearing, the squier build quality, or fate once again making sure that a bass that is in stock once in a blue moon is faulty...

Who here has played an Aerodyne and could set the record straight about the feel and sound?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Sound is a very subjective thing....IMO there is a very poor correlation between tone and price. However, a proper setup would give that thing a much, much better sound and feel than what you experienced. I'd recommend waiting 'till they set it up and trying it out again.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Sound is a very subjective thing....IMO there is a very poor correlation between tone and price. However, a proper setup would give that thing a much, much better sound and feel than what you experienced. I'd recommend waiting 'till they set it up and trying it out again.

Yeah, I have to say the setup was horrendous. It just felt so awkward to play, as opposed to pretty much every other bass i tried after that . Don't know how far a proper setup will go to make the neck feel better, though...
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
It'll change how the neck feels quite a bit actually. Adjusting the strings and neck bow will change the way you hold it.
Nope, no sig here.
I have an Aerodyne JBass. Tone and feel/playability are highly subjective, then there's perception is reality for some people, etc. It's too bad your first experience sucked + the Basswood body isn't for everyone.

Mine was set up very nicely, no tweaks needed, the frets were very nicely-dressed, the finish flawless (except paw prints easily show because of the Glossy finish), etc., all typical of most MIJ/CIJ Fenders. My only complaint is that it didn't have a PBass neck profile.

It'll be hard for anybody to convince you it's a kickass Bass, only you can make that judgment. The $$$ cost won't necessarily equate with the value you assign to it. Perhaps a different model, even a Squier may be your ideal?

I was really looking forward to the bass, because i thought that it would be everything I would ever need. The sound was good, but i was pissed off at how uneven it was (the E string was SUBSTANTIALLY louder than the rest, as it was really a very noticable amount closer to the pickups.) When I got to the store, the sales guy was just taking it out, so I took it and played it. The feel really bugged me. The distance from the strings to the body was a lot (dare I say double) more than on the other Fender and Squier Basses. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know it could come in such a bad shape from the supplier.

And wtf is a Fernandes Gravity?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
I have an Aerodyne J, I've had it for about four months now, and i love it to death. I love the tone/feel, everything about it is perfect for me, and that's the key here, i feel its perfect for me and that doesn't necessarily mean it will be perfect for you, like others have said. I'm sorry it wasn't exactly what you expected, but everyone has different tastes to basses and tones ect.

I find the neck to be the opposite of what you're saying though, i feel its a bit thicker, thicker than my MIM jazz deluxe at least, which is sometihng i really like about it.
I have one.
I must say that mine needed a good setup too. I tweaked with the action and the truss rod before it really shined. I still need to lower the A string a bit, but I'm having too much fun playing it. Mine was new out of the box too. It seems Fender likes to ship them with casual setups to ensure the bass isn't dead on arrival. I was the second person who played it before I bought it.

Now, the neck is a bit skinny for me. I prefer the Precision necks myself. But I've gotten used to this bass and other basses just feel weird to me. I love the Precision pickup, but the Jazz is a little sterile. I'm not too pleased in the volume drop when both volume knobs are turned all the way up. I usually just leave the P on, and have the tone set low.

But enough of my complaints. The playability is fantastic, I love jamming on this guy whenever something pops into my head. I'm still pretty inexperienced with basses, as I've only had three, and never really bothered to try too many others. But this one has shaped my playing since it's so light and comfy. Aerodynes are nice and stealthy. Blacker than the blackest black times infinity.