Hello fellow guitarists,

for Christmas I received money for my (first ) electric guitar fund. I was hoping I could start playing already, but it just so happens that I can either buy the guitar or buy the amp. My dad proposed that I could buy the guitar, and run it trough the amp (maybe pre-amp), and speakers on his stereo system. The problem is I'm scared to blow his fancy styereo system. The question: Will I?

tl;dr: electric guitar trough stereo system, will I break the stereo system?

Thx in advance
no
In a soundcheck there's never too much guitar. Just not enough of all the other instruments.

Quote by skwelcher
i dont think theres any reason to buy a gibson when you can buy an epi that looks the same
Quote by Captain Panda
Hello fellow guitarists,

for Christmas I received money for my (first ) electric guitar fund. I was hoping I could start playing already, but it just so happens that I can either buy the guitar or buy the amp. My dad proposed that I could buy the guitar, and run it trough the amp (maybe pre-amp), and speakers on his stereo system. The problem is I'm scared to blow his fancy styereo system. The question: Will I?

tl;dr: electric guitar trough stereo system, will I break the stereo system?

Thx in advance

you won't break it, but you will sound like ****.

get a beginner guitar+amp combo
Quote by Clownocaster#1
you won't break it, but you will sound like ****.

get a beginner guitar+amp combo

like that won't sound like **** lol
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Ooooh, I got an idea. Get the guitar and a guitar preamp like a Behringer V-Amp Pro or 2. Play it through the stereo system. You'll probably have a better tone than most beginners that get a cheap amp depending on quality of the stereo system. The nice thing about the V-amp is that you'll use it for a long time. Probably will outlast your guitar and 1st amp. Look at vids on youtube for the V-Amp if you don't know about it. I've never tried it but it sounds pretty good.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Dec 26, 2008,
Alright, thanks. I don't mind it sounding like ****, it's just a temporary solution while I save for my amp.

Also, after purchasing my guitar I will have no money left. Substituting the amp for a pre-amp wont work, although it would be a nice thing to save up for once I get the amp
Last edited by Captain Panda at Dec 26, 2008,
It could work but it will only give you basic amplification, no tone shaping at all, and it won't sound right because your stereo amp is probably not voiced like a guitar amp, so it won't sound how you'd expect an electric guitar to sound. Other than that it should be fine, but if in doubt, don't do it.

(i'm glad nobody has started that old "it's stereo amp" thing yet)
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
It won't necessarily sound bad, but it will be stuck in that one sound forever. Get an amp instead.
A STEREO AMP!
Wow, that'd sound amazing! Most guitar amps are only mono.. you lucky duck.
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.