Hey guys,
As I've recently got my new axe (esp m2) I've discovered that as I am lets say on intermediate level there are NO good tunes to play that wouldn't require extreme sweeping/alternate picking/whammy bar skills.
I'm getting angry that there are no songs I can play from beggining till the end with all the solos
Without sweeping all I can play are main riffs (not always cause some are based on sweeping -.-) and a few interludes- that's all

Could you give me some advice on what should I do?
Shall I either practise difficult techniques (sweeping, tapping, fast phrasing) or play some improvised stuff to cover up the original solos?
Gettin' better ^_^
Practice and improvise. Then in time you can throw in some of the new techniques whilst improvising.
Quote by Shadowy
...there are NO good tunes to play that wouldn't require extreme sweeping/alternate picking/whammy bar skills.

That's totally subjective, but if the songs you want to play require sweep picking then you need to learn to sweep pick. You'll get nowhere by ignoring the things you can't do, you just have to get on with it or remain stagnant.
Oh dear.

I would suggest very little in the way of music incorporates sweeping. Not heard too much in reggae or funk recently. Not too much in country. BB King, he don't sweep, maybe the odd rake.

Why are you defining tunes by the technique involved. Real music isn't guitar hero... no really it isn't.
But lots of riffs do require sweeping basisc.
Lets take Morning Star by Vinnie Moore- if you realise this fact, the first arpeggio would be hell a lot easier to play if I could sweep.
Same thing with Arpeggios from Hell by Malmsteen.
(I play mostly instrumental rock/metal btw)
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by Shadowy
Lets take Morning Star by Vinnie Moore- if you realise this fact, the first arpeggio would be hell a lot easier to play if I could sweep.

And that's the most important thing in this thread now.
Let's not get an argument going about what music is better than what.

It would be best if you did learn to sweep though, considering the type of music you play
No Boundaries - Michael Angelo Batio
The sweeping sections in there are relatively easy as far as sweeping goes.
But I've heard that sweeping requires 3 years of playing-> is it a big difficulty to sweep pick if I don't have these 3 years of experience?
Don't get my wrong-I'm not a newbie holding a guitar for about 2 weeks but I'm not a shredding master aswell....
Gettin' better ^_^
That depends on how much a person has practiced in those 3 years.
Time isn't a good factor in determining how technically skilled someone is.
Okay.
I think I'm quite skilled though, so I will head myself towards sweeping.
Have you got any links with good sweeping explanation?
I've tried it already and I have some questions-maybe you know the answers.
When I down stroke is there any specific angle I should strum in?
When I upstroke (it goes much easier) I have 90 degrees angle but I've seen on some videos of people making different angles.
Gettin' better ^_^
Practice all. The more things you can do the better. Legatto, fingerpicking, tapping, sweeping etc. The sooner you start, the sooner you will be good at them.
Read the Advanced techniques sticky
Quote by Shadowy

Ah when you said songs... I thought you meant songs not exercises with drum beats.
Quote by Retro Rocker
And that's the most important thing in this thread now.
Let's not get an argument going about what music is better than what.

It would be best if you did learn to sweep though, considering the type of music you play
No Boundaries - Michael Angelo Batio
The sweeping sections in there are relatively easy as far as sweeping goes.

They are actually which is reallys surprising! I mean I suck balls at sweeping, and I can do them.... (ish)
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
But how am I supposed to rake/sweep down without making it sound like a non-alternate picking.
My finger is being pulled up every time I strum the string-that's obvious-how do you avoid that effect?
Gettin' better ^_^
richie-if he likes the music dont insult it.
the most important thing with sweep picking is left and right hand synchronizing. i have been playing for just over a year and i can sweep quite well (so the time u have been playing is not much of a factor)
practice very slowly going down and up, make sure you have a fluid down and up motion, and not picking every string-even if this is terribly slow, you will spead up with time, you must just practice it efficiently and accurately.

With regards to the angle of your pick-some people will suggest circular motion, or other a hyperbola motion but in truth it only matters what is most comfortable and motion effective as possible-if you are happy playing with a slight angle down, and then 90 degrees angle going up then that is your style and its ok, al long as you are comfotable.

good way to practice is getting some chords and arpeggiating (spelling) them. you can also look on youtube for lessons on sweep picking, there are many.

also some people say practice economy picking, this helps. and also some will say start with 3 string sweeps, then work up to 4, 5, 6. but the truth is, if is only the synchronized technique with left and right hand that is important, if you start off with 6 string sweeps, and practice it slowly, and accurately with correct technique you will be fine.

hope i helped
van halen cant sweep pick,so don't be embarassed if you can't.just learn eruption and tell sweep picking robots were to get off
Quote by tomo123321v3
van halen cant sweep pick,so don't be embarassed if you can't.just learn eruption and tell sweep picking robots were to get off

Just because a famous guitarist is limited in what he can do doesn't mean you should limit yourself in the same way. If you want to be able to play songs with sweep picking all the way through you need to learn to sweep.
TS do you like the sound of sweep picking?

If so then learn it.

If you don't like the sound, or don't want it to be part of ur playing don't learn it.

Do you wanna cover songs with sweep picking. Then it's up to you to decided if to learn sweeping or exchange it with another technique or creative solution.

Unless it plays a vital role in the sound. Like playing master of puppets without palm muting is definitely a no - no.

Of course exchanging something with something else, will be frowned upon by people that are elitist in it must be perfectly played, but this is a ongoing discussion.

You have to make the descision for urself TS

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??