Page 1 of 2
I got a Gibson Les Paul Studio, the worn brown model, for Christmas. I was playing guitar shirtless in my room and my deodorant rubbed onto the wood. It is unfinished wood, with just some wood stain or something on it. The chemicals in the deodorant reacted with the wood stain or removed it somehow. So now there is a big stain on the top of my guitar that is much lighter that the surrounding wood. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

It really ruined my day already.

Edit: Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone! I took it to guitar center and they exchanged it no problem. They had sold me a used amp like it was new and they let me exchange that for a new one too. So everything is perfect now. Except this guitar has some fret buzz, but I'll get that taken care of soon.
Last edited by ephemete at Dec 27, 2008,
get a damp towel and rub it off lol
it does that on clothing too
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
That sucks.

Either get a pro to recolour it, or leave it and make up some crazy gig horror story and tell it to everyone who notices it.
I already rubbed the deodorant off. It actually removed the wood stain I think. I was thinking of taking it to a furniture expert because they know all about wood stains.
you could stop pretending to be slash?

also yea try rubbing it of
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Quote by Horlicks
That sucks.

Either get a pro to recolour it, or leave it and make up some crazy gig horror story and tell it to everyone who notices it.

This.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
I was shirtless sitting down and I guess I leaned over it weird for a second. I wasn't trying to be slash or anything. I was just sitting alone in my room playing.
I'm not trying to troll; I was just trying to figure out the physics of the situation, becuase i couldn't picture it.
Cosmetic issues aren't a big deal. Suck it up pu$$y.
I'd be more worried about your teeth being pulled.
hope that works out for you.
Quote by Vikingx
Cosmetic issues aren't a big deal. Suck it up pu$$y.
I'd be more worried about your teeth being pulled.
hope that works out for you.

I don't think you'd be very pleased if someone scratched all the finish of your guitar TBH. Go back to the Pit if you aren't going to be helpful.
Thanks for all the advice. Do you think I should take it to guitar center and ask them about it? They have a guy in the back always working on guitars.
Quote by Horlicks
I don't think you'd be very pleased if someone scratched all the finish of your guitar TBH. Go back to the Pit if you aren't going to be helpful.

You are incorrect sir...
I rarely care about the look of my guitars. They get beat up anyway. Sound matters.

Want me to be helpful?!?
Once the finish is gone, it's gone. Refinish it or accept that it's a guitar and is going to wear... and that you don't look cool playing in front of a full-length mirror shirtless so don't try it again.
Quote by ephemete
Thanks for all the advice. Do you think I should take it to guitar center and ask them about it? They have a guy in the back always working on guitars.

They generally don't work on cosmetics.
Just an FYI
Quote by Vikingx
You are incorrect sir...
I rarely care about the look of my guitars. They get beat up anyway. Sound matters.

Want me to be helpful?!?
Once the finish is gone, it's gone. Refinish it or accept that it's a guitar and is going to wear... and that you don't look cool playing in front of a full-length mirror shirtless so don't try it again.

Why are you being such an asshole? I wasn't trying to look cool. I don't even have a ****ing mirror in my room. I think I'm allowed to be shirtless in my own god damn room. Get off your high horse.
Quote by Vikingx
You are incorrect sir...

Want me to be helpful?!?

You have a cheap PRS copy. He has a Gibson. You do the math.
Quote by ephemete
Why are you being such an asshole? I wasn't trying to look cool. I don't even have a ****ing mirror in my room. I think I'm allowed to be shirtless in my own god damn room. Get off your high horse.

I was trying to help you kid... with a bit of humor.
You need to lighten up a bit and take the good with the bad.

The simple truth is that when the finish has worn off your guitar (from playing too much and wearing, or from your Aquavelva) it's gone.

Geesh... you're a tightly wound little bastard aren't you?
Quote by Horlicks
You have a cheap PRS copy. He has a Gibson. You do the math.

I own 2 Gibsons in fact...
the profile isn't accurate. Quite like the fact that my Taylor isn't a BigBaby... Sure, I have one, but my 14 year old kid plays it.

You guys are Waaaaaayyyyy too serious.
Quote by Vikingx
Geesh... you're a tightly wound little bastard aren't you?

Yes, I am. As I said in my first post: I'm having problems in college, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed in a few hours, and now the guitar situation. And, guitar center sold me a used amp but claimed it was new. I'm really stressing out.
Quote by Vikingx
the profile isn't accurate. Quite like the fact that my Taylor isn't a BigBaby... Sure, I have one, but my 14 year old kid plays it.

Yes, but this guy's asking for help for what to do. We don't need arguing about if your profiles right about your gear and all that, so shush.

Anyways...

I would take it to a dude who can sand it down and stain it the same colour. Or a different one, which could be cool. But yeah, it wouldn't take more than a few days to get the job done, so don't really worry about it.

EDIT: You're getting teeth pulled out on boxing day?!?! That's a bit unfair.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by ephemete
Yes, I am. As I said in my first post: I'm having problems in college, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed in a few hours, and now the guitar situation. And, guitar center sold me a used amp but claimed it was new. I'm really stressing out.

Well I'm sorry to hear that, but I told you from the jump "good luck" with your teeth.

I had mine pulled on Parris Island... Marine Corps boot camp. If you're looking for sympathy I can't give it to you; and wouldn't. You'll be over it in a week. It's not that bad. I had four done without drugs. I'm pretty sure that your dentist will give you some pills that will make you forget it was done (Vicodin most likely)

College... yeah... done that too. Also been in combat three times.

The point that I'm trying to make is that life is what you make of it. Quit your bitching. You're much better off than most.

However... again....
Hope everything works out with your teeth.
Quote by Lil Macker
Yes, but this guy's asking for help for what to do. We don't need arguing about if your profiles right about your gear and all that, so shush.

EDIT: You're getting teeth pulled out on boxing day?!?! That's a bit unfair.

Hmmmm.
You were the one making a big deal about equipment. I corrected you and I get a shush?

Point #2: I offered help to him... logical help. If the finish is gone it's gone. Refinish the guitar or deal with it.

Point #3: Boxing day? Are you sure he's even Canadian? It had already been demonstrated that profiles aren't always accurate.
Quote by ephemete

Go to em. If they sold it as new and you can prove that it isnt then get your cah back. Or go to trading standards - or teh equivelent of america if you live there.

Good luck with the teeth. Dont listen to him - and ceartenly dont make friends with him - Hes a US army type by the sound of things so he will probably shoot you. But then on the brighter side he might shoot himself in the foot by accident. Or just to show how tough + stupid he is. Thell probably promote him for it.
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by Vikingx

"Suck it up pussy" isnt at all humourous.

and i didnt want to waste the effort to scroll back up to the post to quote it, gtf back to the put, faggot.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
First Email Gibson don't tell them it was you deoderant that made the finish come off tell them you noticed it was rubbing off on your T shirt and you noticed a color change. Ask them what they used to stain the guitar and is it possible to get some so you can restain it. Truthfully I am surprised the deoderant removed the stain it should be an oilbased stain and deoderant is basically water based and fairly harmless considering it's made to be used on skin. I would think skin oils might be the problem. Skin oil can be pretty harmfull to a lot of things including paint it really tears the hell out of Nitrocelulose after a while. I just got a Gibson Explorer worn finish guitar and I am thinking of sealing the stain in now that I read your post I am going to take it to Rockler and see what they reccomend.

Hopefully you'll find an answer to your problem.

John
Quote by Vikingx
You are incorrect sir...
Want me to be helpful?!?

If you got a new Gibson Les Paul and the first thing that happens to it is it gets stained by deoderant because I was playing shirtless, then I would want to fix that too.
Quote by PCSpeaker
"Suck it up pussy" isnt at all humourous.

and i didnt want to waste the effort to scroll back up to the post to quote it, gtf back to the put, faggot.

Silly little man
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
If you got a new Gibson Les Paul and the first thing that happens to it is it gets stained by deoderant because I was playing shirtless, then I would want to fix that too.

Not really. If you read the warranty for your Gibson you'll see that the finish is not covered.

Quite like if you were applying black nail-polish on yourself and it spilled on your guitar.....

You're SOL.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. ANY chemicals will damage a guitar. This is exactly why you will eventually not care so much about the aesthetics, but more the playability.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole... I learned this lesson years ago... just trying to help.
Quote by Vikingx
Hmmmm.
You were the one making a big deal about equipment. I corrected you and I get a shush?

Point #2: I offered help to him... logical help. If the finish is gone it's gone. Refinish the guitar or deal with it.

Point #3: Boxing day? Are you sure he's even Canadian? It had already been demonstrated that profiles aren't always accurate.

1. I didn't make that much of a big deal, I said get it sanded and have it stained again.

2. You didn't help. You told him to 'suck it up, pussy'. That's about as helpful as cancer. If anything, that would make him feel worse about the situation.

3. I'm from Britain, we celebrate boxing day. So does the rest of the commonwealth. I never knew America didn't celebrate it, so shush.

Dude, you called the TS a tightly wound little bastard, but you're tighter than a duck's arse. You're just filling this thread up with usefullness. You never helped, when most other people including me did, and you're abusing people who never asked for it. You're like 20 years older than me, but you're acting like you're a bloody 7 year old. Shush.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
1. I didn't make that much of a big deal, I said get it sanded and have it stained again.

2. You didn't help. You told him to 'suck it up, pussy'. That's about as helpful as cancer. If anything, that would make him feel worse about the situation.

3. I'm from Britain, we celebrate boxing day. So does the rest of the commonwealth. I never knew America didn't celebrate it, so shush.

Dude, you called the TS a tightly wound little bastard, but you're tighter than a duck's arse. You're just filling this thread up with usefullness. You never helped, when most other people including me did, and you're abusing people who never asked for it. You're like 20 years older than me, but you're acting like you're a bloody 7 year old. Shush.

1. Yes you did... you were the one that quoted my bio without knowing me.
2. I offered advise.... once a finish is gone, it's gone
3. I couldn't care less where you're from... Happy Festivus

Tighter than a ducks arse? I'll give you +1 because it's funny... but -1 because it's not original.

If anything I was trying to get this young lad to loosen up and realize that his guitars are going to get knicked up and it's a fact of life. Deal with it.... that's tight?

Damn... you schooled me didn't you? I think that you missed the whole point whipper-snapper.
Quote by Vikingx
Chalk it up to a lesson learned. ANY chemicals will damage a guitar. This is exactly why you will eventually not care so much about the aesthetics, but more the playability.

ok, so YOU wouldn't mind if you had just got a £700 guitar and the finish was messed up by something completely random, but can't you at least TRY to accept that some people would be pretty peeved if it happened to them? or is that concept new to you?

i would be pissed off if that happened to a brand new guitar i'd just bought. and i don't much care about aesthetics (if i did i'd have paid a fortune in removing scratches and buying new pickguards) - it would just be because it's new that i'd be annoyed. maybe that's the case with the threadstarter too?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
ok, so YOU wouldn't mind if you had just got a £700 guitar and the finish was messed up by something completely random, but can't you at least TRY to accept that some people would be pretty peeved if it happened to them? or is that concept new to you?

i would be pissed off if that happened to a brand new guitar i'd just bought. and i don't much care about aesthetics - it would just be because it's new that i'd be annoyed. maybe that's the case with the threadstarter too?

Yes, I'd be peeved...
But if it were my fault I'd accept it and move along. Avoid putting chemicals on your guitar... this is common sense. Speed-stick included. Would you wax your car with it?!@?
i think that the real thing we've learnt from this thread is that gibson need to do something about their finishes - surely it should be deodourant proof, since the guitar is going to be under peoples arms a lot, and that can, will, and in this case has, made someone accidentally de-odourise the finish away.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
i think that the real thing we've learnt from this thread is that gibson need to do something about their finishes - surely it should be deodourant proof, since the guitar is going to be under peoples arms a lot, and that can, will, and in this case has, made someone accidentally de-odourise the finish away.

agreed.
Depends what is in the deodorant... if they say it MAY not be covered, fine one that doesn't have something corrosive in it and say you use it Gibson are a bunch of hardass's with this stuff, good luck getting anywhere with them. I have to ask though: is the finish nitro or poly? I could kind of expect some kind of reaction from nitro with sweat and deodorant, but not poly. Poly would have me seriously questioning finish quality on the guitar for sure.
Facts are these:

1. OP damaged the finish on his guitar
2. When finish is gone, there is no good spot repair

Now you have a couple options:

1. Leave it alone and deal with it, OR
2. Refinish the whole guitar, OR
3. Half ass attempt at spot repair you probably won't be happy with

Now some people will suggest you try to get something from Gibson by trying to make it seem like their fault. I am not one of those. If I jack something up due to my own doing, I chalk it up as a learning experience. I don't pawn my responsibility off on someone else.

And everyone has problems. However, you sound like yours are somewhat simple. Teeth pulled is no big deal. Flunking out of college? Now I don't know your situation so I can't say what the problem is but 98% of the people I know doing poorly in college are doing so because of a lack of effort.

If I could rewind to your age, sit in college with my new guitar, and have to only really worry about some temporary pain, I'd do it in a second. You are in some of the best times of your life. Enjoy them.

[/rant]
Page 1 of 2