So now that i have a relatively good amp (Vox AD30VT), i figured i should adjust the rest of my rig to complement it.

I wanted a fuzz pedal and was seriously considering a DBA Fuzz war, but i realized that my rig is lacking in several other areas, so i decided to compromise.
For fuzz: An EHX Big Muff PI with tone-wicker .
This way, i have some amount of versatility, and a quality pedal for about 90 dollars.
(considerably lessening my guilt for thinking of spending 150 bucks on a fuzz pedal alone.)

Now with the remaining 60$ i figured i'd get myself some new pickups.
Now 60 isn't much i know, but since my guitar (Ibanez GRG150) still has it's crappy stock pickups, i figured i'd get myself an upgrade atleast.
I was considering Guitar Fetish Pickups, they're affordable, and have some good reviews.
OPINIONS? Anyone try GFS? Any humbucker/SC recommendations?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/sistpi.html

Also, im getting my nut replaced with a properly cut bone nut. Which should atleast pat way eliminate tuning issues.

So my lacking areas are covered:
1. GAS (for the fuzz) - check
2. Pickups - (maybe) GFS - 1 humbucker and 1 single coil, keeping one stock humbucker. - check
3. Tuning issues - Partially checked (coz of the nut), will take care of with locking tuners later, when i have the money.

Sound good?

(And i'm so sorry for the wall of text....)
Last edited by unet at Dec 26, 2008,
About the p/ups - Are you sure you will be able to put a double coil and a single coil in the same places as the stock hummers were? Like for example, you can't get a guitar (usually) with two humbuckers in it and take one out to stick a P90 in its place.

This may not apply here, and you may have thought about it, I don't know much about pickups but just in case...

My guitar has 1 single coil and 2 humbuckers.

I'm going to keep the bridge humbucker and replace the single coil and neck humbucker.

And i want to know which pickups to get.
I dont think that you should even upgrade ur guitar dude, the GRG's arent the best series that ibanez makes... mabye u might wanna save up some money 4 a new guitar?
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Ok sorry I just had to check. I was not familiar with the model and not in the mood for looking it up and just didnt want to see somebody go out and buy something useless to them.

Sounds like it should work, but as I said, I really don't know much about pickups and chances are there will be a thread like this of my own in here asking for advice in th next few weeks.

Anyways, any other questions, I'll try to help.
Quote by kai2demax
I dont think that you should even upgrade ur guitar dude, the GRG's arent the best series that ibanez makes... mabye u might wanna save up some money 4 a new guitar?

I know...and i will get a better guitar later.
But right now, im happy with my guitar, and i want to do everything in my power to make it sound better, within my means.

Quote by Horlicks
I like how you can turn the tone 'on or off' .

What?

Quote by Harmony.Korine
Ok sorry I just had to check. I was not familiar with the model and not in the mood for looking it up and just didnt want to see somebody go out and buy something useless to them.

Sounds like it should work, but as I said, I really don't know much about pickups and chances are there will be a thread like this of my own in here asking for advice in th next few weeks.

Anyways, any other questions, I'll try to help.

Any advice about the pedal or the nut?
Thanks.
Any advice about the pedal or the nut?
Thanks.

Yea, pedals I can do - tried quite a few.

The Big Muff (I played Russian) was the nicest fuzz I've used and very affordable. I might get one myself, and definitely recommend, but are you sure its a fuzz box you want the most? There are some other more 'inspiring' stomps out there. As I said in another thread a couple of minutes ago, I'm a huge fan of delays and loops.

I checked your profile and see you're inspired by Mike Einziger. Depending on whether you're more into Make Yourself/S.C.I.E.N.C.E. era or ACLOTM and Light Grenades, there are a few cool pedals in his rig. He uses old Boss Super Phasers (the analogue ones, not the new digital ones.) With these you can do some cool stuff and if you use a rise and fall sound (e.g Flanger) along with the Phaser you can get the sound in the bridge of The Warmth. You can also use a phaser along with volume swells (from a slow attack stomp or a volume pedal) to get the cool sounds in Pardon Me or Nice to Know You. More recently he's been using cool ring mods and step filters.

**** that was a big rant. In other words, if you want a muff get a muff, if you want some exciting pedals, get a delay (Boss DD-7 or EH Analogue Delay) or a Boss Super Phaser. Thats my advice, they're all beautiful boxes.

And as you might have picked up, I used to be a huge Incubus fan.
Thanks!
I'm a huge Incubus fan too!
I already have a Phase 90 and i think for now, that takes care of my phasing needs.
My amp has a pretty cool inbuilt flanger as well as delay, and i have a VFS2 footswitch to change channels/ switch on effects, so flanges & delay covered as well.
I know stompboxes are better quality, and i plan to get either a DOD analog delay or an MXR carbon copy in the future, but right now i'm achin for a fuzz.

Also, regarding my profile, i forgot to put Mikael Åkerfeldt on there.
I'm a HUGE fan of his, and im seeing Opeth in Chennai in Jan!!!!

So basically, i want a fuzz.
Incubus uses a lot of fuzz too!
just so you now, the Vox ADVT amps don't sound very good with pedals. Specifically they sound kind of weird with distortion pedals. I played one through a Big Muff and it didn't sound bad, but the sound of the Muff was definately not what it was supposed to be. Other pedals sound fine on those amps, but distortion can get a little weird because those amps don't really have a clean channel if I remember correctly. There are clean amp models, but you can always adjust the gain to get distortion, so it's kind of like running a big muff through an already distorted solid state amp (which always sounds bad).

Just something I thought you should know.
Quote by curlyhead_P
just so you now, the Vox ADVT amps don't sound very good with pedals. Specifically they sound kind of weird with distortion pedals. I played one through a Big Muff and it didn't sound bad, but the sound of the Muff was definately not what it was supposed to be. Other pedals sound fine on those amps, but distortion can get a little weird because those amps don't really have a clean channel if I remember correctly. There are clean amp models, but you can always adjust the gain to get distortion, so it's kind of like running a big muff through an already distorted solid state amp (which always sounds bad).

Yeah but as long as the gain on you clean channel is low, it's basically a clean amp.

I have a distortion pedal, and it runs fine on the amp.
It obviously doesn't sound as great as a tube amp would, but it's certainly what i expected, and FAR better than my old SS practice amp.

As long as the Big Muff does its job well and doesn't make too much noise, i figure the fuzz'l pull through.

Question: Did you play on the preset, or did you use the manual mode to select a clean channel?
Quote by unet
Yeah but as long as the gain on you clean channel is low, it's basically a clean amp.

I have a distortion pedal, and it runs fine on the amp.
It obviously doesn't sound as great as a tube amp would, but it's certainly what i expected, and FAR better than my old SS practice amp.

As long as the Big Muff does its job well and doesn't make too much noise, i figure the fuzz'l pull through.

Question: Did you play on the preset, or did you use the manual mode to select a clean channel?

Ok, I checked back here and saw your reply, and I'd say for sho' fool, go for the Big Muff they're beautiful, but possibly try it first? Anyway, I played a Phase 90 and was pretty disappointed with it, not really my style, but whatever floateth your boateth.

Yea, Mikael Akerfeldt is actually, believe it or not, Jesus, which is a not so well known fact.

So yea glad to help. And just a final word, I really don't think there is another largely commercially available fuzz box that really stands up to the Big Muff. Its the the big broeson of fuzz basically.

Yea, Mikael Akerfeldt is actually, believe it or not, Jesus, which is a not so well known fact.

So yea glad to help. And just a final word, I really don't think there is another largely commercially available fuzz box that really stands up to the Big Muff. Its the the big broeson of fuzz basically.

It's true....he is!
And i might just meet him in Jan.

K...good to hear about the muff.
I think my budgeting is actually going well....new pickups, a pedal, and improved tuning stability.
My guitar's gonna be sweet after that.
Thanks!