Ok, so first off I know that anchoring is a very debatable topic, and some people like it, some don't.

Anyhow, the thing is I usually play with my right hand( actually the side of my palm...the area that joins the palm to the wrist) very lightly resting on the top few strings of the guitar...it would help me to mute out all the unwanted noises when I wasn't playing on those strings...however,I don't keep it fixed at that one point...I'm ab;e to move it around for picking and stuff, so i hope its not anchoring...

Recently however, i got some opinions that its better to play 'totally unanchored', without any contact between your right hand and the guitar at all...

I was wondering how would you mute out all the unwanted noise...I was told by the same source that it's better if you learn to play without making any of these unwanted noises...but I found that when there's high gain on, even hammering on to the high e would set the low e ringing ( albeit pretty lightly)...

so whats the proper technique for this? Is it ok to have the side of your palm lightly resting on the top strings, or does this hamper speed?
Last edited by _A_ at Dec 26, 2008,
What you're doing doesn't count as anchoring imo. I do it too. As long as you don't keep your hand fixed in the exact same spot and can't play without it being there you're pretty much fine.
I actually think that your technique is better than completely not anchoring as you do queiten the other strings and switching to palm muting is easy and economical. dont worry about it
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I think most players do that. I certainly do and its ok up to a point. That point is where the pressure de-tunes the other strings if you have a trem on the guitar. Stopping that is part of the skill, but the other way to dampen the unwanted sound is by better use of your left hand, like a bass player does.
Thanks for the replies....I have another question...

Is it normal for your thumb to brush he strings when you're picking? I have only a small amount of the pick exposed, so mu thumb is pretty close to the end of the pick, and I also tend to angle it slightly. Because of this, my thumb tends to brush the strings as i pick...is this ok?
comes down to..do what u have to play good and make a good sound..if you play a lot cleaner and better as you do now than y fix sumthin thats not broken? do what is comfortable.
Quote by _A_
Thanks for the replies....I have another question...

Is it normal for your thumb to brush he strings when you're picking? I have only a small amount of the pick exposed, so mu thumb is pretty close to the end of the pick, and I also tend to angle it slightly. Because of this, my thumb tends to brush the strings as i pick...is this ok?

Totally normal. That's pretty much how I mute.

Please, no anchoring threads.

You are not anchoring unless you are fixed to a point and it has nothing to do with muting.