Page 1 of 10
FINAL EDIT:
This build is now finished. Final pics in post #346

I haven't been around UG much since finishing my first build, but here I am again and with a new build in mind of course

It's currently in planning stage only (though I have acquired some bits of wood already) but I just couldn't resist the urge to begin a new thread about it. Me being an Ibanez-lover, it'll follow the basic shape of an RG like the first one but with a few more personalized details. Here's some specs I've come up with so far:

EDIT:
I've now began the building process, but it will go very slowly because at the moment I don't have access to proper woodworking tools... Some changes I've made to the specs listed below:
- neck stripes will be wenge instead of birch
- tuners will be locking schaller M6's instead of gotoh
- pickups will be SD Pearly Gates at the neck and Custom Custom at the bridge
- hardtail instead of floyd rose

- 5-piece neck of flamed maple with 2 thin stripes of black through-stained arctic birch stripes. It'll be of one piece (no scarf-joint, that is) with a volute.
- ebony fretboard with my version of JEM tree of life inlay in white MOP, gold MOP and paua, 16" radius, 25,5" scale, 24 frets. No binding, but I'll hide the fret ends cutting the tang a bit short and filling the gap with glue and ebony dust.
- quilted maple veneer on the headstock with custom logo
- gotoh tuners
- basswood body with either a thin (~3mm) quilted maple veneer, or a thicker (~1/2 inch or so) carved top of quilted maple, PRS-like carve
- H-H pickup config, Seymour Duncans not sure about the models yet
- not sure about the tremolo unit yet, I'd love to have one of those new Ibanez trem systems on it (Zero Resistance 2, Edge-Zero) but I don't know if they are available and at what price and also I would have to get the dimensions for the cavities etc.
- all hardware in black if possible

As for the finishing, I've thought about staining straight to wood (a double-stain burst/fade or something) and then clearcoating with a polyurethane lacquer.

A luthier I know suggested on doing a set neck but personally I'd feel more comfortable doing a bolt-on, so I haven't made a decision on this yet.

I will begin with the fretboard inlay during this winter (this will take a LOT of time) and of course I promise to post pics during the whole thing as it progresses further.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!
How's that for a compliment =)

My recordings
Last edited by jenrg at Aug 12, 2010,
Try a JB/Jazz or JB/'59 combo if you're looking for passives that are real versitile, or get 18v Blackouts.

Also, if you can do a setneck, do it. It improves sustain tons, only downfall is the fact that if the neck snaps off, you can't really replace it easily, while with a bolton you can.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
ssounds very cool, how much will all of this cost you?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by V.U.K
Try a JB/Jazz or JB/'59 combo if you're looking for passives that are real versitile, or get 18v Blackouts.

Also, if you can do a setneck, do it. It improves sustain tons, only downfall is the fact that if the neck snaps off, you can't really replace it easily, while with a bolton you can.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have the JB/Jazz combo on my first one and while they are good, they aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I might go for a '59 for the neck pup and the Custom 5 for the bridge pup. Since I'm not going for a brutal metal-axe, I think I will rule the actives out.

Quote by charlie__flynn
ssounds very cool, how much will all of this cost you?
Absolutely no idea whatsoever. Depends on which trem I choose, which pups I choose etc. Generally, I will try to keep the costs below 850 euros but that's just a guideline.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Quote by -MintSauce-
I can't wait to see this.. your first was BADASS.

+1.
If I had the money for it, I'd buy the first one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jenrg
Thanks for the recommendations. I have the JB/Jazz combo on my first one and while they are good, they aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I might go for a '59 for the neck pup and the Custom 5 for the bridge pup. Since I'm not going for a brutal metal-axe, I think I will rule the actives out.

Absolutely no idea whatsoever. Depends on which trem I choose, which pups I choose etc. Generally, I will try to keep the costs below 850 euros but that's just a guideline.
Brilliant PU choices! In addition to the ZR2, keep the LoPro trem as an option .... best Ibanez trem, an opinion.

Looking forward to this build - awesome, solid materials, it'll be a beast like the first one, I'm sure.

Quote by Ippon
Brilliant PU choices! In addition to the ZR2, keep the LoPro trem as an option .... best Ibanez trem, an opinion.

Looking forward to this build - awesome, solid materials, it'll be a beast like the first one, I'm sure.

I totally agree about the ibz LoPro. I used it for my first build and it really is great. But I'm also very interested about the new ones, especially the ones I mentioned earlier. I like the idea of my guitar not going out of tune in case of a string break, or at least not audibly anyway. I've had a string break in the middle of a gig with my old RG (original edge trem) and I didn't like the experience much Also the intonation is much easier to adjust on those new trems. I haven't really used either of those yet so I can't say much about the quality or feel they have but of course I will go and have a try with them first before installing one on my next build.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
why dont you do a hardtial instead
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by forsaknazrael
I hear that!

How do you feel these measure up to a Schaller LFR or a Jackson LFR?
I think I should have listened to you in the first place but since I got the JB/Jazz combo pretty cheap and had no prior experience, I just had to try it out myself What I do like is the SSL-4 single in the middle. I just love it's tone, also with splitted neck humbucker.

About the trems, I can't tell since I haven't used a Schaller or Jackson LFR.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
I just began the inlay stuff today. It appears this one will take a lot more time than the first one I did...

Here's what I began with, a fretboard blank and some radiused gold MOP:

The "gold" MOP looks pretty much white in these pictures and it really isn't much darker than the white one, certainly not as much as I hoped but it'll have to do.

And here's what I got after a while of sawing and filing:

There's still a lot to do here, not to mention the leaves and routing and gluing etc. But one day (I hope) I'll have a nice fb Someone will probably notice that the pre-made curve on the MOP sticks is a bit too tight and the vine will be a bit curly, but I think it may be even better that way instead of a perfect arc. At least it'll look handmade
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Last edited by jenrg at Oct 26, 2014,
I've heard some iffy stuff about the ZRII in terms of sustain (there's a big stink about the newer S prestige), I'd go with a regular ZR or the LoPro again. Schaller is good, but you should also check out the Gotoh trems, especially the ones made for the Schecter Stiletto Classic.

BTW, your first build was bad as fvck, I'm really looking forward to this one
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Your first build was amazing cant wait for this.

Considered a 7 string?

But definatly go with a thick quilted carved maple top

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Oh! I forgot about that Yes, PLEASE go with the thick carved top! We need more carved top, trem equipped axes

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by jenrg

- all hardware in black if possible

Then you'll not be able to get any new-ish Ibby trems... They're all cosmo. I think it has something to do with RoHS compliance.
Quote by LP Addict
just get a gotoh floyd rose.

dangg.

+1

And a Tremol- no. And a big Brass block.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by LP Addict
for the neck, i recommend you use a real dark wood such as walnut/mahogany. birch is hard, but it's main commercial use is that of plywood, and it is for a reason.

Looking forward to another one of your high class builds jenrg! Inlays look rad.
Quote by ormsby guitars
Lumberjack
Wow , lookin good, jenrg.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by LP Addict
for the neck, i recommend you use a real dark wood such as walnut/mahogany. birch is hard, but it's main commercial use is that of plywood, and it is for a reason.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm still not quite sure about this.. I mean I've heard many local guitarbuilders use arctic birch as laminates (not the main material) of their necks and heard no complaints about it. I might go for ebony though...

Quote by Pikka Bird
Then you'll not be able to get any new-ish Ibby trems... They're all cosmo. I think it has something to do with RoHS compliance.

Damn.. how can they not be able to come up with RoHS compliant black paint? I mean how hard can it be?

Quote by Shinozoku
I've heard some iffy stuff about the ZRII in terms of sustain (there's a big stink about the newer S prestige), I'd go with a regular ZR or the LoPro again. Schaller is good, but you should also check out the Gotoh trems, especially the ones made for the Schecter Stiletto Classic.

What about the knife-edge version (Edge-Zero) ? It's basically a cross-breed between LoPro and ZRII (I think) and what do people have against ibanez trems anyway? I know the cheap ones suck but I'd never change the LoPro away from my first one.. If I don't come up with a better alternative, I'll have it on this one too. ZR is not an option since I hate the screw-in trem arm. I just thought the built-in intonation tool and the zero point system would be nice features to have. Plus I think the new trems look cool

Quote by Shinozoku
I kinda like the overlapping inlays. You can make the leaves sprout out of them.

Now why didn't I think of this? Well, nobody's perfect.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Quote by jenrg
What about the knife-edge version (Edge-Zero) ? It's basically a cross-breed between LoPro and ZRII (I think) and what do people have against ibanez trems anyway? I know the cheap ones suck but I'd never change the LoPro away from my first one.. If I don't come up with a better alternative, I'll have it on this one too. ZR is not an option since I hate the screw-in trem arm. I just thought the built-in intonation tool and the zero point system would be nice features to have. Plus I think the new trems look cool

I dont think the Edge Zero's that great either. Read Rich's post here.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/any-views-on-edge-zero-bridge-85291.html?highlight=edge+zero
Quote by jenrg
Thanks for the opinion. I'm still not quite sure about this.. I mean I've heard many local guitarbuilders use arctic birch as laminates (not the main material) of their necks and heard no complaints about it. I might go for ebony though...

Damn.. how can they not be able to come up with RoHS compliant black paint? I mean how hard can it be?

Now why didn't I think of this? Well, nobody's perfect.

Ippon said the thing about the leaves, not me

Stupid name.

Ok, so what about a totally different approach on this. A hardtail, as hans the lefty already suggested.

A bridge like this:
http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp14659/STM-B-.htm?ITServ=CY2021b846X11ef3e10db4X60c5

With a tailpiece like this:
http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp14671/FS-B.htm

And a locking nut on top of it. Would probably stay in tune like forever. Maybe even a bit of overkill but I don't mind.

Another option would ofcourse be a stoptail with locking tuners but I like the locking nut + fine tuners idea more.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
i like that idea alot
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i suggest going with overkill and mybe try out a ibanez mt sig it has a simular idea
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
^^^I have a basic idea that I'm gonna try some time- having the strings to through ferrules on the front, but instead of going the normal way with it, I'd like the string-through holes to end up in a cavity on the back where I'd place a fine tuning tailpiece for the strings to mount in... (simply because I love the look of string-through ferrules on the front)
Quote by Pikka Bird
^^^I have a basic idea that I'm gonna try some time- having the strings to through ferrules on the front, but instead of going the normal way with it, I'd like the string-through holes to end up in a cavity on the back where I'd place a fine tuning tailpiece for the strings to mount in... (simply because I love the look of string-through ferrules on the front)
That's a neat idea but using the fine-tuners while the tailpiece is in the back cavity would probably be quite uncomfortable..
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
^Well, you tune it once and then that's it... I can't see it as being that much more uncomfortable than tuning a Floyd. I wouldn't put a cover on it, so everything would be accessible- you just pluck the string you're about to tune, tilt the guitar forwards a smidge and fiddle with the fine tuner.
sounds like a pretty nice build. your last one was really awesome, too =D

cant wait to see some more progress, the inlay should look sweet, even if the radiused bits of MOP don't make a perfect curve, it should be cool
I've thought about this trem thing for awhile now and another option I came up with is a Kahler (2315 or 7330 fixed) BUT... then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1eiMZ5nUk

Any Kahler owners around? I'd like to know is the bending->out of tune problem really an issue? I mean I wouldn't want to spend a fortune on a trem that does not stay in tune when bending strings. I'm not really very heavy trem user so otherwise those Kahlers would fit my use perfectly. Other thing, does the fixed 7330 suffer from this too?
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Answering to myself here... I just decided to totally reject any kind of trem unit for this build. This is going to have a fixed bridge. Period.

Now, on to other questions Since I might go with a fixed bridge without fine-tuners, in that case it wouldn't make much sense to have a locking nut either. How about having locking tuners and a good nut? Graph Tech maybe? I did a search on their site and did not find any mention about radiuses. Are they kinda like one-size-fits-all type of thing or do they come in different radiuses? Or do you modify the blank to suit yours?
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings