It's time for a proper gear overhaul! (You may see a few threads by me in their forums)

As a band we need two microphones. Previously we've used gear we have either found, borrowed or stuff that is just cheap as regards microphones, stands & cables.

I've been looking and it seems that there are a few options out there:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-MICROPHONE-FULL-BOOM-STAND-PACKAGE-35_W0QQitemZ390016780203QQihZ026QQcategoryZ15198QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-PG-58-MICROPHONE-BOOM-STAND-PACKAGE-HOT-DEAL_W0QQitemZ390016778812QQihZ026QQcategoryZ15198QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SM-58-MICROPHONE-LEAD-FULL-BOOM-STAND-PACKAGE_W0QQitemZ390014462202QQihZ026QQcategoryZ15198QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Now what are the differences? I know very little about microphones other than reputation associated with brands. I know the Shure SM58 is the 'industry standard' but we need two microphones and for a band that doesn't gig often i've a feeling it wouldn't be worth it. Can you guys throw me up some ideas?

Secondly what about other brands? I've seen a pack of three behringer microphones in a case for £30. I know you get what you pay for but what are the differences?

Kind Regards,
Mad
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I heard that the Behringer XM8500 is actually very similar to an SM58, just slightly warmer. Never tried one though.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by rocklust
What is it exactly that you want to do with the mic, guitar amp or vocals, live or home recording? or a combination?

Good point, the most important thing is vocal mics for live and studio recording!

I am playing with the idea of buying a couple of condensing microphones to mic up the guitar and bass amps aswell so we could run a feed to the drummers headphones and obviously recording!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Alright, now the reason the sm58 is called legendary is not because it sounds amazing, it's because the bugger can take a good beating, thats why they alway use it for live (that and it's not very sensitive so it doesn't feedback) so it is a good mic......for live

studio on the other hand, i wouldn't recommended it unless you guys play punk, in which case its good. But for any other style I would go for a rode NT 1-A. Brilliant condenser microphone. Its really good for vocals, guitars, acoustic guitars, over-heads for drums.....strictly studio use though, the only reason you would take one of these on stage is over-heads even if that
Quote by rocklust
Alright, now the reason the sm58 is called legendary is not because it sounds amazing, it's because the bugger can take a good beating, thats why they alway use it for live (that and it's not very sensitive so it doesn't feedback) so it is a good mic......for live

studio on the other hand, i wouldn't recommended it unless you guys play punk, in which case its good. But for any other style I would go for a rode NT 1-A. Brilliant condenser microphone. Its really good for vocals, guitars, acoustic guitars, over-heads for drums.....strictly studio use though, the only reason you would take one of these on stage is over-heads even if that

Righto, unfortunately we don't have that much money. What kindof microphone would be suitable (and cheapish) for mic'ing up both a guitar and bass amp live? To create a whole mix for the drummer (he complains alot about not being able to hear anybody). Also if they sound nice some recording may be fun!

?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by rocklust
alright, what's your budget, and what exactly do you want to be able to do?
I'll give you a line up for the use and price range?

Basically our band has one vocalists, a guitarist (and part time vocalist), a bassist and a drummer!

We need microphones that can be used live and for little bits of recording now and then! As said before live it would be useful to mic the guitar and bass amps so as the whole band can be fed to the drummer through headphones or monitors.

Well the budget isn't massive, we don't gig too often so we can't warrant spending hundreds. However we have been looking and we reckon about £60 for a couple of vocal mic's. And about the same for a couple of mic's to mic amps.

However if the XM8500 mic's sound good just aren't as robust that's fine, they'd probably not get much hammer and i have flight cases for most things so they'd be kept safe and sound.

^^ make sense?

^^ make sense?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by rocklust
sorry dude, just give me a minute. I work in a studio so i've never had to worry about budget before, i'm finding the best options in that price range

Haha, not a problem no rush i appreciate the help!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Alrighty, the verdict is in.
Main vocals - Electrovoice ND267 (found a brand new one online for $99)
Backing vocals - XM8500
Guitar Cab - Electrovoice Cobalt Co4 ($47 give or take)
Bass Cab - Cobalt Co4 for as well, i'm not happy with that on a bass, it'll be decent but I wouldn't say good, can't find anything else in the price range

I realize I pushed the price range a bit but look around online, try ebay as well. Also check for 2nd hand stuff in stores, I pretty sure you should be able to squeeze that in.

By the way, do you guys have a small mixer or something or do they provide that at venues?
Last edited by rocklust at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by rocklust
Alrighty, the verdict is in.
Main vocals - Electrovoice ND267 (found a brand new one online for $99)
Backing vocals - XM8500
Guitar Cab - Electrovoice Cobalt Co4 ($47 give or take)
Bass Cab - Cobalt Co4 for as well, i'm not happy with that on a bass, it'll be decent but I wouldn't say good, can't find anything else in the price range

I realize I pushed the price range a bit but look around online, try ebay as well. Also check for 2nd hand stuff in stores, I pretty sure you should be able to squeeze that in.

By the way, do you guys have a small mixer or something or do they provide that at venues?

Hey thanks, that's given me some great help. Thank you. Yeah we have a mixer i'm a bit of an audio junkie and I've got mixers falling out of my ears (was a dj), just never really had experience with microphones. I was thinking of using my little tapco 120 to provide the phantom power and mixing qualities needed! Sound about right?

I run a good PA system to boot aswell (tops and bass bins + separate power amp for left and right banks)

Hows that sound?

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Thats a **** hot PA system to own. With the mics and stuff you guys could set up a gig in the middle of the street, thats pretty much all you need for a decent performance.
What kinda stuff do you guys play?
Quote by rocklust
Thats a **** hot PA system to own. With the mics and stuff you guys could set up a gig in the middle of the street, thats pretty much all you need for a decent performance.
What kinda stuff do you guys play?

Thankyou, the PA system is awesome but a complete accident. I bought the speakers whilst on morphine for a knee operation and was quite shocked when it turned up 3 days later and i've just got the power amps for it! It rocks 800w per side, 1500w peak so it's pretty brutal! Sounds Great as my PC speakers!

Erm we're a cover band atm playing a bit of everything from; indie, Blues, classic/heavy rock, light metal, bit of punk aswell as acoustic numbers with just an acoustic guitar/keyboard and a vocalist. We kindof just play what an audience wants gig to gig!

I mean my guitar rig is setup for versitility and to be honest we just have fun!

X

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by rocklust
hahahaha, thats crazy. Sounds cool, good luck to you guys

Thankyou, will let you know what i buy in the end. Will chat with the Guys and Gals First!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Id say get 2 Shure SM58's, they are very versatile, and are very rugged (which the Behringers probably arent) Its worth it at the end of the day.