ok i am getting a Dimarzio D-Sonic 7 (Bridge) for my RG7321, and was wondering how big the difference that the rail placement makes.

i read that when the rail is at the bridge end, it makes a lower, more heavy sound; and while pointing toward the neck, it makes a more biting sound with more attack.

also, on the Ernie Ball JP's, all of the 6s have it toward the neck, but on the 7, toward the bridge.

is this because Petrucci only uses his 7s for songs that require it and he wants a heavier sound?

i personally want a heavy sound (without muddiness please), but also with attack and clear/biting harmonics.

should i place the rail near the bridge, or neck?

and what would make a good partner? i was thinking a Blaze Neck 7.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
try it both ways and hear which one you like better.

I prefer the bar toward the neck.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
are you going to use standard tuning or lower tuning? if lower then itd probably be best to place the rail near the bridge.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
are you going to use standard tuning or lower tuning? if lower then itd probably be best to place the rail near the bridge.

i MIGHT go to 1 step down OCCASIONALLY, but for the most part (95% of the time), it will be in standard
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
then put the bar toward the neck
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"