Hey guys,
How 's it going?

Now, I'm still using Audacity and I have a question 'cause I'm fairly new at recording.
I know how to record guitar, that's not a problem. It's what I do with the tracks afterwards that I can't figure out.

When I was in the studio with my band I recorded the guitartracks but I wasn't really digging the sound my amp made...but I just kept my mouth shut 'cause I tought: "This guy is a pro, he knows what he's doing." So in the end I asked him if I could have a copy of the rough-version to take home and listen to but he refused and said that it would give me a wrong view on what I recorded. He then told me he still had lots of editing to do. When he gave us the finished version a few weeks later everything sounded completly diffrent, it was amazing.

Now, how does this "editing" work? 'Cause I've recorded some stuff myself but I don't know how to make stuff sound beter after it's recorded. Is it equalization? And how do I start with EQ? Are there other things I should look into? Compressor?

So yeah, that's it basically...I know how to record but I don't know how to edit...can you guys help? Or is there a website that teaches me the basics?

Thx my fellow UG-gent

Rien (Belgium)
Well...audacity isn't going to do a killer job like a studio would with a sound engineer. But i'm curious about this as well.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Well...audacity isn't going to do a killer job like a studio would with a sound engineer. But i'm curious about this as well.

Well, I don't expect people to help me with Audacity. More knowing how to edit. I don't expect to use these tips on Audacity and hope on a pro-sound.

I'm gonna switch to a paid-program in this and 2 months but I just wanna be prepaired and I'de like to get the best out of what I have.
EQ, track layering, compressors, panning. It all does it's part. The best way to go about learning how to use them effectively is to actually do it. Decide what you think sounds better for a given track and go with it.
yeah i agree with maggot. not to mention a guitar sounds totally different in a final mix to what it does by itself. in other words, to an "untrained" ear the amp that sounded "bad" in the room really sounded how it needed to to fit well in your particular mix. he was wise in not giving you a rough mix as well, thats pretty common. an engineer should have final say as to when his first mix gets outside the studio.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by maggot9779
EQ, track layering, compressors, panning. It all does it's part. The best way to go about learning how to use them effectively is to actually do it. Decide what you think sounds better for a given track and go with it.

So just record some tracks and then play with it...I can do that.
But should I wait untill I have a better program or will Audacity give me a descent view on those adjustments?

Quote by Artemis Entreri

That's awesome! Thanks alot!

ps.: Sorry if I reply a little late but I live in Belgium and there's an 8 hour diffrence with most of you guys