Should I buy a bass that I dont know how long has been sitting out, but looks like its in good condition or should I buy it off the internet brand new but it might have some QC issues?

They are almost the same price, I get a discount on stuff since I work at a music store.

For anyone who cares, the bass is an Ibanez SR500.
If you've played it in the store, and it feels good and you like it, then I would buy it. I don't know about you, but an older bass appeals to me more than a brand new bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
buy it in store, the store people start to like you more.

the internet will never have any feelings about you, and thus will tell you the same stuff it did before.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you are buying the bass at the store you work at, doesn't it make sense to use your discount and support your employer, therefore keeping him or her in business and yourself in a job?
Quote by anarkee
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you are buying the bass at the store you work at, doesn't it make sense to use your discount and support your employer, therefore keeping him or her in business and yourself in a job?

Very true, but some online stores are having sales which are almost at cost, namely musiciansfriend I was just wondering if there is any deception in the quality of an old bass.
If there's a fault with the bass you can always bring it back to your shop, right? I'd go with in store. Plus RMAs to Musiciansfriend can be a bear at times, esp. if you purchase a sale or blem item.
Quote by grifff
Alright im sold on buying it from the store, I just hope there isnt a problem because that would be kind of awkward to bring it back to my place of work asking for a refund.

then, you could personally testament to your customers on the speed at which it was fixed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ive been successfully from buying online, but i always have tryed out all the gear.
I Find it cheaper to order stuff from the Uk or mainland europe than irealnd, and in these recessive times, i have to save all the money i can. But if i could and defiantly with high end gear(1000+) i would always try to buy it in the store.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Went out local Music store; tried 5 MM Stingray Basses, there weas only one out of the 5 set up half decent.
Do you want to have to start doing a full set up on a brand new bass because you bought it on line.
Most beginner to intermediate Bassists don't have the knowledge or experience to set up a Bass properly.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
If the bass isn't set up well at the store. tell them to set it up before you take it. Also at a store you're supporting local business and you can haggle the price at a store unlike on the internet where you just pay whatever price they want.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I can set it up properly with the exception of the truss rod adjustments, which I guess means that I cant set it up properly but the one in my store is actually quite nice, I doubt I will have to set anything up on the bass.
When i got my Fender, It was set up perfectly, Na dfrom what i saw it had come straight from the fender factory, Well it looked like that anyway.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I would buy it from the store not online, the employees are often more likely to give discounts and help you out.
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
I pretty much bought all of my gear at my local shop. Because:

1. You support local business
2. Will proabably recieve much better support if there is a problem
3. Build a lasting relationship with some one who will, "hook you up", let you hang flyers for your band thier window, etc.
Quote by Captain Insano
I pretty much bought all of my gear at my local shop. Because:

1. You support local business
2. Will proabably recieve much better support if there is a problem
3. Build a lasting relationship with some one who will, "hook you up", let you hang flyers for your band thier window, etc.

#3 is a really important point. One of the guys who plays in our blues band we literally found because of the local shop we all purchase instruments. And the shop is great about letting all the customers put up flyers and promoting local events.