Are these guitars equal in quality to gibsons? i've heard so, but not from extremely credible sources. I would be interested in soon getting a new Les Paul or Flying V, I want Gibson quality if possible but i only have $600-700.
Tokai are good quality
Agile also make some really nice Les Pauls in that price range but they only sell in the U.S.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
get a gibson faded
my gibson sg faded is far superior to an epiphone les paul I had
depends on the model (of both tokai and gibson). also depends on what you mean by "equal in quality". on the lowest japanese-made tokais, generally they're better than gibsons in some respects, but perhaps not as good in other respects. depends on what's more important to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tokais are good guitars, far better value for money than a gibson

Gibson is better though imo, but play the two and decide for yourself, theres quite a price difference for probably minor things
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
With most Gibsons, you're just paying a large sum of money for the name Gibson to be on it.
Quote by Snapple
Tokais are good guitars, far better value for money than a gibson

Gibson is better though imo, but play the two and decide for yourself, theres quite a price difference for probably minor things

i don't think you can say that, there's a range of models and price ranges for both tokai and gibson. I mean, there are tokais which are more expensive than gibsons, which use honduran mahogany, brazilian rosewood, etc. etc. (gibson doesn't even use those woods on its custom shop models). i'd assume they'd absolutely slaughter non-custom shop gibbies (probably custom shop gibbies too). you gotta compare like with like, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by justinb904
Tokai are good quality
Agile also make some really nice Les Pauls in that price range but they only sell in the U.S.

They're available in Europe as well, though the shipping is high, and extra taxes on your own expenses.
i want a guitar, a les paul, not les paul style, but an actual les paul, for under $700 that is as close in quality as possible to a gibson classic/standard. I will be using this to record, just demo kind of stuff, play shows, and play at home. i will probably replace the pups with something that has an alnico II magnet in it.
Elitist Epiphone's are worth a look or two.

If you could score an 80's tokai love rock for under $700 you'd be laughing (found one over here for £650...). They are magic though. As all of the old fuji-gen's are.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I've heard lots of rave reviews for agile guitars, the 3000 series is supposed to be as good as Gibson. Check it out http://www.rondomusic.com/product1145.html
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by willieturnip
Elitist Epiphone's are worth a look or two.

If you could score an 80's tokai love rock for under $700 you'd be laughing (found one over here for £650...). They are magic though. As all of the old fuji-gen's are.

+1

if you can find an 80s tokai, maybe a second-hand edwards or edwards relic?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Basically keep an eye out for Japanese made brands, especially 80's Tokai's and 70's Fujigen lawsuit models.

This being said, I played an LTD EC-1000 Goldtop today in Seoul and it was incredible. I think it may be a limited edition, but it was amazing. If I had the money I'd of bought it. It was only about 600 dollars...before haggling. I'm so annoyed that my girlfriend owes me about 1000 dollars >.<
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I'm in the US, i could get an Agile a lot cheaper than a Tokai, but would that be as good? or should i look for one of those that Kurapica mentioned?
i haven't tried any agiles. assuming (big assumption, obviously ) that they're of similar quality to other korean-made instruments, i'd say that japanese made tokais, edwardses etc. would be a lot nicer. but as i said, that's a pretty big assumption.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried any agiles. assuming (big assumption, obviously ) that they're of similar quality to other korean-made instruments, i'd say that japanese made tokais, edwardses etc. would be a lot nicer. but as i said, that's a pretty big assumption.

To be fair, from my experience here in Korea, their instrument making has come on leaps and bounds. If you buy a guitar of the same value from Korea and Japan, they are very very very similar. Some Japanese are better and some Korean are better, but most companies only make lower grade instruments in Korea.

I played some high end Korean made instruments and they were incredible.

Also, because they are made here and sold here, they were cheap as hell. 450 dollars for one of the nicest sounding Tele copies I've ever played. Looked really unique too and played better than my Japanese Tele.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Dave_Mc

My C-1+ was made in Korea and it's great, I don't think you're giving Korea enough credit. Although with different companies it might be different.
The 80s Tokai Love Rocks are easily comparable to Gibsons. They're better than the standard production Gibsons at least, on par with the VOS models. But they fetch about as much on the used market anyway. The top of the line current run of Tokais are not cheap either. I can't say I've ever played one. But if a $2000 Tokai can compete with a $3500 Gibson, then I'd be a happy camper who saved $1500 on a guitar.
^ yeah, definitely. The best Tokai I tried was a new relic at around the £1000 mark. It destroyed a Gibson Les Paul Classic antique I tried on the same day, unfortunately there's not all that much high-end gear available round here to compare to. I've never even seen any of the really high end tokais, navigators and the like, though I'd really like to (obviously enough ). it's certainly possible that the high end Tokais, Navigators, Bacchuses etc. destroy even custom shop Gibsons, considering what the lower-end Tokais do to the more moderately-priced Gibsons, but considering the price of those Tokais and Navigators you'd want to try them first. And the exchange rate of the pound against the Yen is just killer at the moment, i think it's down something like 45% over the past year. You know it's bad when Gibsons are starting to sound like decent value over here...

Quote by Kurapica
To be fair, from my experience here in Korea, their instrument making has come on leaps and bounds. If you buy a guitar of the same value from Korea and Japan, they are very very very similar. Some Japanese are better and some Korean are better, but most companies only make lower grade instruments in Korea.

I played some high end Korean made instruments and they were incredible.

Also, because they are made here and sold here, they were cheap as hell. 450 dollars for one of the nicest sounding Tele copies I've ever played. Looked really unique too and played better than my Japanese Tele.

yeah, that's true. i'm talking more about the mid-range stuff at a similar price to, or slightly more than, agiles.

that being said, I'd prefer an edwards or tokai to a LTD ec1000, for example. whether or not that counts as high-end MIK, though, I don't know. and the ec1000 was very, very nice, I'll give it that. Just ridiculously expensive (compared to US prices), i know that my edwards was about half its price.

Quote by -Blue-
My C-1+ was made in Korea and it's great, I don't think you're giving Korea enough credit. Although with different companies it might be different.

i dunno man. I don't like to slag off anyone else's instruments, but I've tried a few schecters and if you ask me, Tokais, Edwards and the like destroy them. They are quite different styles of guitars, though, so it's not really a direct comparison. But maybe i tried a couple of bad examples of schecters, or maybe yours is a really good one.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well my advice as always is to try the guitar yourself before buying, theres variation within the same models, i have hated some gibson standards ive played.

Thats pretty much it, until you hold a guitar in your hands you really cant know how much you can love the instrument.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12