So there are 3 412's that Orange currently offers, which I will be pairing with a rockerverb 50 head. Im not much for speaker choice, so I need some advice!

PPC412 : The usual Vintage 30's

PPC412 HP 8: G12K 100

PPC412 LTD: G12H-30 Anniversary's

Ive only tried the head with Anniversarys, and it sounded better for cleans than dirt. I'm ordering today due to a gig in the next week and a half. I cant try them, so it's out of the questions.

Basically, can someone give me the characteristics of each speaker, and your opinion of why it would suit the RV50 the best?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Why so?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
bump..
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
G12H30s. Easily. Big full low end, nice highs, and full mids, Very versatile speaker, takes a bit of time to break them in though and has a slight icepick effect when new, but after 40-50 hours of (high volume) play time, they will start to smooth out and give a very sweet high end. Far superior to the overrated V30s.
It all depends on how much you want to spend. I think a pair of Weber Silver Bells will be better than V30's, that's for sure.

tedweber.com.

EDIT: OH! For someone reason i thought you were replacing the speakers in an Orange cab. If you're buying them, I would agree with al, the G12H30's are the way to go.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Dec 27, 2008,
+1 on the Silver Bells. They have a lot of g12h30 character to my ears. With a slightly rolled off high end, I think a pair of those with a pair of Blue Dogs works wonderfully in a 4x12.
Well im not buying the cab and swapping speakers as soon as i get it.

Ive pretty much ruled out the G12K's, so that leaves me with V30's or G12h-30's

From what i hear, V30's are better for dirt, and worse for cleans, and vice versa for the g12h's
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I've never gotten that impression at all. g12h30s are great for dirty tones. Think... Hendrix or Page. Metallica used to run g12h30s as well.

They're much brighter than V30s. If you like a darker overdriven tone, with more high mid emphasis, you might prefer the V30. I think it can get a little nasal at times, and some people don't really like that. If you like brighter cleans, then I could certainly see why you would prefer the g12h30s for clean tones. But I prefer g12h30s for both clean and overdriven tones, but I'm not really into metal or anything.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 27, 2008,
Ok, I play everything from vintage gain like zeppelin tones to heavier, full on gainy stuff.

Are you guys sure the G12H is a better bet than the V30?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Honestly, I'd ask someone who has a Rockerverb head. I can tell you what the general characteristics of the speakers are, but I can't tell you that you're going to like one more than the other. 1) It depends very much on the head you're using 2) it really just comes down to preference. Keep in mind the V30s are rated at 65 watts and the g12h30s are 30 watts, more power handling, more headroom. If you want a more vintage voiced speaker, go with the g12h30s, if you want a more modern sound, go for the v30s.
I definitley play more modern styles than vintage. hmm
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, vintage doesn't mean just blues. It can mean anything from AC/DC to Guns N Roses. Those guys have vintage elements to their tone.

Also, something to keep in mind is that V30's are a popular speaker for metal players.

Well, it appears I'll have to compromise.

I play GN'R and AC/DC when just jaming or playing by myself, but what I play with my band and I write is more underoath, paramore, the fall of troy, that kind of stuff.

So vintage 30 or g12h30?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
v 30 iv got them in my rockerverb and they are sweet
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
Quote by dcdossett65
Well, it appears I'll have to compromise.

I play GN'R and AC/DC when just jaming or playing by myself, but what I play with my band and I write is more underoath, paramore, the fall of troy, that kind of stuff.

So vintage 30 or g12h30?

Funny thing is that both Angus Young and Slash ran both types of speakers at some point...
I am using a Matchless 412 with Celestion V30s and G12-75s in an X pattern.

Simply heavenly.
Quote by al112987
+1 on the Silver Bells. They have a lot of g12h30 character to my ears. With a slightly rolled off high end, I think a pair of those with a pair of Blue Dogs works wonderfully in a 4x12.

+33
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I think some of your a confused. Im not replacing speakers, im choosing between two.

V30's or G12H30.

Ill worry about x patterns later.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not like choosing G12H30's would prevent you from playing hardcore and stuff....

I know that, i've played the LTD cab with them, and it sounded great, I just worry i'd be better of with V30s. If the G12H's are better voiced fore vintage stuff, which only about 25% of what I play, I think it would be irrational to go for them, when the large majority of my playing is heavier stuff. Here are my concerns:

the V30 has a mid spike, and supposdley have some icepick until broken in.

the G12H might sound a little too unagressive for the majority of my playing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Ah... depends what you mean by aggressive. The V30s have more meatiness in the mids, but the G12h30s have more of a presence in the top end, and a fairly chunky low end themselves. The V30s have rolled off highs so they have a different sort of presence. There's certainly nothing soft about the G12h30 tone. I mean, the prime example of these speakers are the Hendrix or Page reference, and there was certainly nothing soft about their sound, especially not Page's. His live tone in particular had a lot of bite and a lot of cut.

When it comes down to it, it's just going to be a matter of preference between the two. It's hard to really say which are better as they're very different voicings.
Quote by al112987
Ah... depends what you mean by aggressive. The V30s have more meatiness in the mids, but the G12h30s have more of a presence in the top end, and a fairly chunky low end themselves. The V30s have rolled off highs so they have a different sort of presence. There's certainly nothing soft about the G12h30 tone. I mean, the prime example of these speakers are the Hendrix or Page reference, and there was certainly nothing soft about their sound, especially not Page's. His live tone in particular had a lot of bite and a lot of cut.

When it comes down to it, it's just going to be a matter of preference between the two. It's hard to really say which are better as they're very different voicings.

I remember the G12H30's having a massive low end, yes, and a smoth top end. The just seemed a tad..just a tad muddy with a high volume clean with humbuckers. I was using some crappy in store guitars though, so you never know.

I would of course go try the V30's, but the store only has the LTD cab, not the regular one..what are the odds.

Lets try this: I dont want my tone to be too bitey in your face, which a lot of mids will do IMO, but i dont want it to be so warm that it has to balls to it. I also hate ice picks, and it makes me not want to solo. A nice fat low end is great, and still enough mids to cut through the mix well.

Does that help?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Sort of...

Keep in mind that a 30 watt speaker breaks up earlier than a 65 watt speaker. If you're really pumping a lot of volume into that thing then you may be getting the pushed speaker effect which will mud up high gain tones. That might sway you the other way. But idk how much you're planning on pushing your amp and I don't know much power that Orange can put out when you're running it wide open.

The g12h30 will have a bit of an icepick to start off. All new speakers do, but the g12h30 in particular takes a LONG time to break in and it takes a while before that high end really becomes "sweet" rather than harsh. The biggest thing about the V30 that I dislike is that in some amps, it has the tendency to sound a bit... buzzy and unmusical. It works in some amps, not so well in others. The second thing about the mid spike is that in some amps, it'll give you a bit of a nasal quality. Some people like that, others can't stand it, and it can be very hard to dial it out. I know the Rockerverb is a more modern voiced amp than your typical Orange and it may work well.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 28, 2008,
Would getting the regular cab with v30's then later x pattern g12h30's have a better effect than one or the other?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Actually yes, they compliment each other quite well. A lot of people do that.
Hm, I might just do that then. I think i'll start out with the vintage 30's, because the regular cab is 100 dollars cheaper anyway, and If i dont love the speakers, which you never know, it might just happen, ill x pattern it with the g12h's.

Thanks for bearing with me and giving the advice, it helped alot!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412