does an an amp head need a cab to make noise? sorry for the incredibly stupid question
Gear
Guitar - Schecter C-1 Classic
Amp - Crate FXT65
Pedals - Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Digitech RP350

On Backup
Guitar - Baja Mini Strat
Amp - Baja 10W
Yes it does. Heads don't have speakers in them, so they have nothing to produce sound by themselves. If you run a head without a speaker attached, you can damage the head.
Yes. Without a cabinet the head's sound has nowhere to go and thus will blow the output transformer, possibly the tubes and will fry other components in the amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yes you need a cab no speakers= no sound! And do not turn it on without a cab hooked up or you will blow up the amp.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Instead of hooking a head up to a cab could i hook one up to just a combo amp?
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Quote by zakky_s

just get a cab, it will sound a lot better
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by zakky_s

you could if you disconnected the speaker from the combo amp, but you cant just plug a head into a combo amp's "input" jack if thats what your thinking
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.