So I have a Fender Strat, playing it through a Peavey Classic 30 and Xotic BB Preamp pedal. I need a bluesy sound, with nice, somewhat dirty cleans. Something like this but maybe a bit grittier. Not too twangy, but with nice low-end like in the video.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Hell, even this would be good - especially the first 30 seconds or so, and the point at 2:00-2:20
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Last edited by RyanDV at Dec 26, 2008,
check out the pickup selector on the dimarzio website, should show you what you need
i just put in some single sized humbuckers into my strat today and it balanced out the tone and gave my cleans a nicer warmer and a bit gritter tone as well as doing wonders with a nice overdrive

edit: some warm humbuckers will do you a lot of good like a dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues 2
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 26, 2008,
I've been using Texas Specials in my MIM strat for a couple years now, but I wouldn't recommend them now. For the price I paid, you can do much better. I've since bought similarly priced Lindy Fralin pickups that are in a completely different class from custom shop Fender pickups. I'm fairly convinced that while Fender custom shops make a good upgrade to stock pickups, they're the worst bang for your buck compared to just about any other pickup brand.
Dont change Pickups of a Fender Strat, the result will be disappointing
Rock in Rio II:
Axl:

Welcome to the Jungle, we got fun n' games!
Ya learn to live like an animal in the Jungle where we play Yeah! (what the fvck do I sing ?!)
We gi-di jodigly. We gonna Jodeldy. We err get anything you want,...
If you have an American Strat, then the pickups are probably good.

Reasons to change strat pickups:

- Mexican strat - new pickups/pots and some finishing work by a luthier can make it as good as an American Strat.

- Don't like the sound: Some people don't like the sound of vintage noiseless. The stratocaster is probably the most versatile guitar, in that you can setup for any genre. The proper pickguard, pickups, and pots will allow you to do this.

For a Mayer sound you're going to want some Vintage pickups. He uses "Big Dipper" scooped-midrange pickups...which fender doesn't sell separately from his Stratocaster.

Anyway, I'd send corduroyew a message and ask him to get you a set of pickups to match he sound that you are looking for. He offers great service.
maybe try looking into some seymour duncan single-coils. i have the Alnico II Pro APS-1's and they sound great. they have sound clips on their site, as well.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
I have a MIM strat. It's amazing, I love the tone right now, action's set up perfectly, comfortable, etc.

It's just that I want to tweak my tone further and make it even better.

Heh, mixed bag of responses. Seymour, DiMarzio, all down to the indie companies... man, I don't even know. I'll drop corduroyew a line, thanks for the heads up.

Any other suggestions though? :P

If anyone missed it, I'm actually leaning more towards this sort of tone instead of the Mayer cover. From around 0:20-0:40 and ESPECIALLY from 4:39-5:20 is what I'm talking about. I guess the Mayer cover video represents what I want for cleans, but I want to have that nice bluesy, natural tube overdrive sound. Think Little Wing (both Hendrix/SRV versions), and Under the Bridge as far as clean tones go.
Gear:
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by RyanDV at Dec 26, 2008,
A Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in the bridge
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Meh, I don't really know about using the bridge. It's a bit too twangy for me, and I want a warm/round/full kinda sound. I'll probably be slotting this in the neck.
Gear:
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I'll agree on the advice to talk to CorduroyEW about your pickups. He makes the pickups on rockmonkeyguitars.com. He'll point you in the right direction, and hand wind you some pickups to your taste, if you want him to.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...