Page 1 of 3
Just switched from guitar to bass recently. Have always noticed bassists standing in the background, but I know there are plenty of bassists that are really into the show as well. What are some examples of rock bands that have bassists that steal the show (not necessarily best players)?
Rob Trujillo has a really good stage presence.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Pete Wentz
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Quote by alkalineweeman
Rob Trujillo has a really good stage presence.

lmao i hope you're kidding.
cliff gets my vote
steve harris is always running around stage doing jumps and overall just being awesome
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Billy Sheehan.
Member of Lynyrd Skynyrd club, PM ledhed68 or i(ncubus)play to join
Nomi Leonard (Queenadreena)
Me (This Is Not A Dead Transmission)

Okay, so I only named myself and my friend, but ssshhh.
Mike Dirnt is pretty good.

Timmy C is cool.

Rob Truiljo or whoever you spell it.

Out of all the bands i've seen, they have to be the top 3. There are bassists in the unsigned scene who are way way better tho.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by BubbaBassGuitar
except for the fact fall out boy is horrible

Except for the fact that they rock hard.

I'm gonna say that Justin Chancellor has good stage presence.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by BubbaBassGuitar
except for the fact fall out boy is horrible

You can learn a lot from bands like Fall Out Boy, they're not the biggest rock band on the planet for nothing you know.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Slick_KH
. What are some examples of rock bands that have bassists that steal the show (not necessarily best players)?

Wentz is the focus (for lack of a better term) of FoB. No one ever seems to notice the rest of the boys in the band, so I think he fits the bill of the thread. Again--its not skill but presence.
Quote by anarkee
Wentz is the focus (for lack of a better term) of FoB. No one ever seems to notice the rest of the boys in the band, so I think he fits the bill of the thread. Again--its not skill but presence.

Good point. I always feel bad for their drummer.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Fat Mike.

He is also the vocalist as well as the bassist, but pretty much owns the band and is awesome at playing.

Follow that guy.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by anarkee
Oh Christ, I can't believe I didn't say this:

Primus (Les Claypool)...

Or this
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Tony Kanal of No Doubt is funky and flashy!
I always thought Roger Waters had a powerful stage presence as well.
Doesn't Trujillo do the 'tarantula-like' walk on the stage when he plays? It's crazy how he walks really really low and plays. From the videos at metontour.com so far he looks like a great stage performer.

-Tim Commerford from RATM is also a great stage performer. I enjoyed watching 'The Battle for Mexico City.'

-Also...Wentz is knowned to make out with dudes on stage..."Not that there's anything wrong with that." - See the Seinfeld reference?

I would say Nate Mendel from the Foo's, but all he does on stage is stand and play. A cadaver would show more emotion on stage than he does live.

That's all I have for now...

*Edit- now that I re-read the TS, Commerford and Trujillo definitely don't steal the show from the rest of their bands, but they definitely add more energy.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Dec 26, 2008,
Hunter Burgan from AFI. He's in the air during their whole performance.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Hunter Burgan from AFI. He's in the air during their whole performance.

Yeah! When I saw them a few years back at HFStival in the DC area, he was pretty energetic. I thought their guitarist stole the show, though.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Dec 26, 2008,
Tim Commerford, but that's not to say that Tom, Brad, and Zack/Chris dont get into it as well. Zack was running around like crazy when I saw RATM last year
Quote by randomhero65
Yeah! When I saw them a few years back at HFStival in the DC area, he was pretty energetic. I thought their guitarist stole the show, though.

He's a great bass player. The whole band is great. Pity about their new garbage though. I loved it when they were punk.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Gene Simmons, he have a solo and plays it on stage by himself only

Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
Rob Trujillo does indeed have a good presence, though he does some weird crap sometimes. When I saw them, he started spinning around so that the bass was stretched out horizontal beside him, and was still playing it with his right hand. (they were raping the drop D at the time)

John Cooper of Skillet is also very good, though half the time he's singing instead of playing. He can't do both very well, apparently.
Nope, no sig here.
I haven't seen too many live Pantera videos, but my friend has a tablature book for them and there's a few pictures of Rex going nuts in it... but I mean he isn't stealing any show from Dimebag.

I think someone mentioned Arif from Protest the Hero, when I saw them, he looked spaced out and only bobbed his head. He looked like he was tripping on acid or something to be honest, he rapes though.

I saw Unearth at the same show and their bassist had a ton of energy but he wasn't running around or nothing.

P-Nut from 311 looks goofy as hell when he plays. but he isn't stealing any show either, although he's awesome.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by gywo copta
I haven't seen too many live Pantera videos, but my friend has a tablature book for them and there's a few pictures of Rex going nuts in it... but I mean he isn't stealing any show from Dimebag.

Maybe back then, but I saw him with Down recently and the whole band's stage presence was just horrible, though Phil was what really killed it. Rex just kind of stood there and played...he headbanged a bit and moved around, and made use of the universal metal stance, but not too much besides that.
Nope, no sig here.
Page 1 of 3