Poll: Universal Or Form Fitting?
Poll Options
View poll results: Universal Or Form Fitting?
Form Fitting
25 81%
Universal
6 19%
Voters: 31.
you could always get an ibanes sr series case. If you go to a store that sells Ibanez they could get one for you. I have a universal case and it doesn't hold the neck very well. much better than nothing but not perfect. I imagine form fitting would work well but I've never tried them. maybe someone else here has.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Ibanez makes cases for their SR series, including the MB100C Bass case. Here's the plus and the minus of each type (I have both)

Form fitting will protect your bass better because it is contoured for the shape of your bass.

Universal are good because generally they cost less and if you have several different basses, you can use it with several different types of basses.

What kind of case are you looking for by the way? Hard shell or soft?
Quote by anarkee
Ibanez makes cases for their SR series, including the MB100C Bass case. Here's the plus and the minus of each type (I have both)

Form fitting will protect your bass better because it is contoured for the shape of your bass.

Universal are good because generally they cost less and if you have several different basses, you can use it with several different types of basses.

What kind of case are you looking for by the way? Hard shell or soft?

Im looking for a hard shell.
For my Ibanez (and the Epiphone Accu bass) I use a gator case which is economical, has a great deal of storage and has a strap. Its also fairly strong in construction though not as hardy as a hardshell. Its good for storing your instrument in the house and going back and forth between practice and gigs.
Quote by anarkee
For my Ibanez (and the Epiphone Accu bass) I use a gator case which is economical, has a great deal of storage and has a strap. Its also fairly strong in construction though not as hardy as a hardshell. Its good for storing your instrument in the house and going back and forth between practice and gigs.

What model Gator would most likely fit an SR series bass?

Also, I looked at a Gator case the other day and the latches didnt seem to close properly and the latches looked flimsy overall.
The gator I have is not a hardshell, but a semi-hard shell (hybrid).

Someone a while back posted up a flight case that was dead sexy and universal. I'll see if I can find the thread or maybe they'll post up again.
To quote from the manufacturer description:T he Gator GL-BASS Lightweight Bass Case is a perfect cross between hard case and gig bag. The exterior is covered with 600-Denier ballistic material and internally it is constructed of dense EPS foam, providing excellent durability.

The zippers work fine and hold up great. It won't take the type of abuse a hardshell or flight case will, but it holds up well and is lighter. 83LesPaulStudio (Rick) has one as well, so you may want to PM him for further opinions.

I originally got mine because I needed a lighter case to carry on public transit or put on my back when I biked occasionally to the music studio where I take lessons.
Hybrid cases rely entirely for foam as protection. While hardcases are usually cloth lined plywood with a metal, leather, or plastic outside; Hybrid cases are entirely foam with some fairly tough outlining (nylon-cloth covered cardboard?). Hybrid cases are rather hardy though, and will protect against drops and the such, but will not protect against age or rough conditions.

With a hardcase, you can leave the bass untouched for years in your basement, and it will still be in the same condition as left before; and you can practically dunk the case in water without issue. A hardcase is a MUST for things such as airports, where people are usually rather uncareful with the case (I have nightmares where I see baggage carriers tossing my hardcase around ) and they stack things ontop of a case.

Both cases have their uses, but for general use I reccomend a hybrid.

Edit: +1 for skb for hardcases. I like to use postalmonkey for their cool designs, but skb has airport certified locks, a godsend for when you put your guitar with the luggage to be checked in. No broken locks when you see them come out of luggage pickup.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Dec 26, 2008,
I have an SKB case, and it's a beast. My door has slammed on it, and it's been kicked and basically abused in the year I've had it.

But it doesn't fit my Warwick as it's universal. If the case is really to protect one bass, I would get a form fitting case just so you know it's as safe as can be. My case was a Christmas present last year though, so I really can't complain.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I have the sr500 case obviously for my sr500 but i also have a peavey millenium, which is quite a bit bigger than the sr500 and i can cram that into the sr500 case. The case is somewhat dented in from where the peavey was forced in, but its still a real solid case. I would go with the sr500 case if i were you.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join