So as most of you guys saw in my thread (jem-sorta copy) im building a guitar out of some black walnut. now i have almost everything done with the body except the routing (done with shaping today) and now im starting on the neck soon.

my question, which is better to do? make a neck and make the body fit it or make the cavity in the body and make the neck fit?

i stopped bumping my other thread due to lack of interest, oh well
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by ginjaninja
Neck first.

So then you have then neck you want.

Well I'm mainly talking about the joint
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

make the body fit the neck
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
i make my body first MINUS the bridge placement, then i measure out the width of the neck pocket and make my neck to that (they all come out .01'' different or so). that way i get a very nice tight fitting neck joint every single time
Quote by LP Addict
i make my body first MINUS the bridge placement, then i measure out the width of the neck pocket and make my neck to that (they all come out .01'' different or so). that way i get a very nice tight fitting neck joint every single time

+1

Make the body first, but don't route/mount the bridge and don't route the neck pocket. Then, make the neck, route the neck pocket and mount it... then measure the scale length and slap the bridge down.
Thanks guys, I'm starting the routing once I get the bit
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by -MintSauce-
+1

Make the body first, but don't route/mount the bridge and don't route the neck pocket. Then, make the neck, route the neck pocket and mount it... then measure the scale length and slap the bridge down.

no i route the neck pocket, i always route the neck pocket into the body 3'', thats pretty much the standard.
Quote by LP Addict
no i route the neck pocket, i always route the neck pocket into the body 3'', thats pretty much the standard.

how thick should i make the neck as a standard? minus the fretboard.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by divinorum69
19.06mm is the standard strat measurment, without fretboard.

thanks.

ill get started on it once i get a hold of a fretboard

wait.. now that i think about it, do i NEED to get a fretboard and truss rod before i start shaping it? i have another neck on another guitar i want to make a copy of that will fit on this guitar, the scale length and everything will be the same, can i jsut use its measurements and get started while i wait?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

the neck should be .75'' thick, then a .25'' fingerboard on top (roughly).

you need to have a fingerboard glued on and truss rod inserted before you shape the neck. if you are in the US i can make a fingerboard for you.
i am indeed in the US.

how much would a rosewood fretboard with 24 frets, already radiused, presloted, at 25.5 scale cost?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by LP Addict
the neck should be .75'' thick, then a .25'' fingerboard on top (roughly).

you need to have a fingerboard glued on and truss rod inserted before you shape the neck. if you are in the US i can make a fingerboard for you.

This hurts me a lot but I disagree. I do not have the truss rod and missing the fretboard and Im going to start shaping it!

Quote by divinorum69
This hurts me a lot but I disagree. I do not have the truss rod and missing the fretboard and Im going to start shaping it!

you rebel you

if i know the dimensions for the neck and the length of the fretboard i can start shaping right?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by divinorum69
yes. But first you should slot the frets before radiusing!

ok then, i can get started on the neck now! yay.

i picked up the TOM bridge and stop bar today, all i need is the fret board, truss rod, and electronics
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.