Okay so if I have two guitar parts and I want to make a harmonizing part in minor thirds or fifths, do I take the minor third/fifth of each note's minor scale, or just three/five notes ahead in that scale?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
okay great, thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Sometimes the 3rds will be major, depending on where you are in the scale. Also, that fifth will be diminished at some point which might cause the harmony to be a bit unstable so I'd just stick with root and 3rds.
^ +1

i recommend learning some theory so that when i say
"you should play with diatonic thirds"
you know what i mean. pwrmax broke it down fairly well but when it comes to harmonising you really do need to know some basic theory to make it sound good.
Bleugh! There are many a way to harmonize things. What are you looking to create here, specifics are needed for further instruction. *cleans glasses*
Quote by polish sausege
Bleugh! There are many a way to harmonize things. What are you looking to create here, specifics are needed for further instruction. *cleans glasses*

He said thirds or fifths though.
Quote by z4twenny
^ only if you're trying to highlight the 6ths and not the roots

Not necessarily.
Quote by z4twenny
^ only if you're trying to highlight the 6ths and not the roots
Sort of agree

If you played a C and than harmonized it with an A, by a classical thinking that's an A minor chord. A classicist would call this a rootless Am in the first inversion.

So if you harmonized by sixths, a classical thinking would be that you are playing minor/major chords (with the fifth omitted obviously) with the supposed "sixth" note as the root and the original note as the third.

But than again, you wouldn't usually have so many sixths or thirds in succession (you don't normally have more than 3)

Whatever.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.