what do you think is better... an epiphone les paul standard with gibson pickups or a gibson les paul standard?

explain your reasoning too
... well obviously the gibson is "better" by terms of construction, quality, value and pickups... we're talking 500USD as opposed to 1300+USD

But the epiphone is not a bad guitar either. It just wont hold its value and the pickups aren't as high quality.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I would go with the gibson. Both gibson and epiphone have shoddy quality control, but the gibson will have a better piece if wood. If you can get a gibson thats made well, it'll last you a lifetime. The epiphone won't have the sound of a good gibson no matter what pickups since it won't have the same quality piece of mahogany.
WTLTL 2011
Gibson is better. American made.

/thread
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Mark G
I would go with the gibson. Both gibson and epiphone have shoddy quality control, but the gibson will have a better piece if wood. If you can get a gibson thats made well, it'll last you a lifetime. The epiphone won't have the sound of a good gibson no matter what pickups since it won't have the same quality piece of mahogany.

Might I add that Epi. LP Standards can outperform the lower end gibsons.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
thanks guys, but do you know how much of a difference the pickups would make on a epi LP standard?
Quote by Mark G

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Might I add that Epi. LP Standards can outperform the lower end gibsons.

Not so sure, I personally dislike both. I a/b tested a $600 epiphone and a gibson LP faded (800). The gibson creamed the epiphone in terms of sound, and it felt a great deal heavier which led me to conclude that it had the better wood.

Both had ****ty fretwork though and wouldn't stay in tune if the future depended on it.
WTLTL 2011
I doubt an Epiphone LP Std will outperform a low-end Gibson. A Epi Custom or Elitist will be right up there with it though.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
i dunno if you can say that heavier equals better wood, but i'd agree that a low end gibson probably has nicer wood than a (non-japanese) epiphone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Paith
Gibson is better. American made.

/thread

are you implying because somethings american made then it better?
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno if you can say that heavier equals better wood, but i'd agree that a low end gibson probably has nicer wood than a (non-japanese) epiphone.

True, but it can be a pretty decent indicator. When two supposedly similar guitars with the same wood type have large weight differences anyway.

Maybe this vid can help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE
WTLTL 2011
The Gibson will most likely be better, as they use a better grade of wood than Epiphone... However, for the price, I'd just as soon buy an Epiphone than a Gibson.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Okay, i think this might be my last question. Is there a difference in durability?
Quote by Mark G
True, but it can be a pretty decent indicator. When two supposedly similar guitars with the same wood type have large weight differences anyway.

Maybe this vid can help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE

i dunno, i mean the reason that gibson started chambering their guitars is that they can't get the (good) light south american/honduran mahogany any more.

i do know what you mean, though- cheaper guitars can feel a little light and plasticky sometimes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's going to depend on the guitar itself. I have played a lot of pretty crappy Gibsons the last few years and the quality can be hit or miss. A good Gibson might hold value but they usually don't sell second hand for what they go for new. Depending on the model, how many were made, if it's a custom shop or limited edition eventually they can actually go up in price as a colectable but from my experiance with Gibson in the last few years I wouldn't bet on it. The depreciation is slower than an Epi for sure but you can score some Epis that are just as good as some Gibsons and in a few cases better. The thing is Epis pups are pretty consistant and not really bad at all. A swap with good Gibby pups sometimes the difference can be a big improvement if you go with Dirty Fingers or some of the other real hot Gibby pups but if you use the regular pups like the 496-R and 500-T in an Epi it's not that big of a difference. Truthfully a set of Dimarzios or Duncans might be a better choice over adding a set of Gibby pups to an Epi.

If you go to a music shop and play both the Gibsons and Epis you'll find some Gibbys just don't cut the mustard and that includes the high end ones. I have actually played low end Gibsons and mid range Epis that were better then the top of the line ones. I am a huge Gibson fan and It's a shame because it is hit or miss with Gibson now a days I get pretty dissapointed. I played two double cutaway Lps the other day both identicle and made the same year one was CSB the other Trans Blue. The CSB one s*cked big time while the Trans Blue one rocked. Both guitars were the same price and made pretty close in production according to the serial numbers. It just amazed me two guitars could be like night and day that were probably made in the same week or few days.

Now as far as lasting I have some Epis in perfect shape that are over 15 years old. I think it's all on how well you take care of your guitar and not even who makes it. I have a Hondo that I bought new in the eraly 80s that is in brand new condition and plays exactly the same as the day I bought it.

When it comes right down to it it's all going to depend what guitars you play/try at a music shop and what you feel is worth what you pay. Epi does make a great guitar for the money and you can luck out and get one you'll like over most Gibbys.

John
Every Gibson is a wild card. With the Epi, you know what you're getting, it'll never blow you away but if you get a Standard Epi and stick in some nice pickups, maybe change the pots and the nut, you know you're going to end up with something that will stand up and do you for a fair few years.

The problem is if you pick up any Gibson, there's a chance it'll be amazing but there's also quite a large chance it will be absolutely awful. This is the problem with hand-finished (regular) or hand-made (Custom Shop) instruments. Most won't suit you, and some are just going to be plain made badly. It's very hard to find a Gibson that is both A) made well and B) actually suits your playing needs. At least with a modded Epi you know the quality's going to be basically acceptable and you're modding it so much you have almost full control over it's suitablity to you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
NO F*UCKING COMPARISON! Not saying that a high end epiphone les paul isnt a decent guitar(and probably a better value than a gibson as far as money v.s. sound ratio) but as far as sound, gibson les pauls( all them except the cheap studio with no maple top) are made from 1 piece of mahagony, while a epiphone would almost always be made from 2 or 3.

When buying a gibson though, you should look for an older one, like 9 or 10 years would be good, older if you could find it. Because guitars arent built using as much effort as they used to. So not only would an older one be made better, but it probably would have a better cut of wood, because now-adays mahagony is endangered and its getting harder for people to find good cuts of it.
^^

From what i hear, gibson went downhill in the 70's and hasn't really gotten back on the truck yet.

@ Flibble: Yes, Gibson does have it's share of lemons, but then again so does Epiphone. Quite honestly, either way you go you're going to want to try the guitar in the shop to make sure it isn't a bad lemon. I think the problem is that more people freak out about Gibson's lemons than Epiphone's because Epiphone is a lower-end company (generally speaking).

It's kind of like; if Barack Obama evaded taxes and was discovered, the whole world would know. If someone like, say, Duff from GnR evaded taxes, how many people would find out, least of all care?