i just got a turntable for Christmas and i couldn't figure out how to plug it into speakers so i just put it into the auxiliary input on my cheap JVC stereo and now i can hear it but even if i turn the volume all the way up its still only as loud as normal talking volume. i think i might need a receiver or maybe something completely different? any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

heres the link to the turntable if its needed http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/8b88447e3530f153/index.html
how loud is your "cheap jvc stereo" without the record player being plugged in?

i don't know too much about this, to be honest, but plugging it into the aux should work... maybe you need another amplifier, preamp or something... not too sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
playing a cd on the stereo or listening to the radio is about the equivalent of my 65 watt amp being on about 4 so its decently loud but thats whats confusing me because the records are really quiet compared to that
Well I would think the aux input would be the same as the stereo or cd. I'm no expert but that's the way all my stereo equipment has operated. Aux inputs are for turntables, tape, cd's etc. Bad lead maybe?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i don't know how newer component stereo's compair to the old (read 1970's) models i grew up playing with. But the old ones were like that if you plugged into the aux port also. They had a "phono" input on the back of them for the record player.
The Aux port needs a line level input, something like the 5v output of a car stereo's preamp, or the headphone jack of a walkman.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
i don't know how newer component stereo's compair to the old (read 1970's) models i grew up playing with. But the old ones were like that if you plugged into the aux port also. They had a "phono" input on the back of them for the record player.
The Aux port needs a line level input, something like the 5v output of a car stereo's preamp, or the headphone jack of a walkman.

THANK YOU! haha something so small and i missed it... its alot louder now! thank you thank you thank you
sweet, glad you got it sorted
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yep, CD players and such have a bit of preamplifcation, but not turntables, my friend had the same problem when his amplifier didn't have a phono jack.
You need to run the record player into a preamp, and then the preamp into your speakers.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com