Let's say I just recorded a record and I need 1,000 copies. Am I expected to pay for that myself? If you're in a band, do band members normally divide the cost amongst themselves?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm a noob.
Who else would pay for it?

I'm guessing you'd be unsigned right?

But yeh, the band itself would pay for all the copies ,maybe funding for it from donations and whatever else. Thats what i'd guess anyway
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Guitarfreak777
If you are signed, the label does, but you must pay them back.

Essentially, this. In a standard deal, you get an advance on your royalties, but this is not free money. Your advance, plus all costs associated with the recording, must be recouped before you start making real money.
If you aren't signed, I don't see a reason your band wouldn't split the cost. If you're all equally invested in the band, both emotionally and financially, this is a shared cost. It's not like it's unnecessary, as without a physical product to move, you guys aren't going to go anywhere. A quality demo, with distribution (even if this means handing it out at shows for free) is vital to success.
A record deal is loaning a band the money to press their record in return for a share in the profits.
Quote by smb
A record deal is loaning a band the money to press their record in return for a share in the profits.

More importantly, the label also promotes, markets, and distributes your band through well-established and well-connected infrastructures within the industry in return for a share in the profits.

Here's what we did:

We each kicked in $300 (four-piece band) for manufacturing of 500 CDs. That included full-colour artwork (four panels on the front card - two full-colour and two b+w; and a full colour back tray-card, and a full colour printed disk), shrink wrap, and bar coding. With the extra money, we got some stickers made up.

Although it would have cost us only another $200 to get an extra 500 printed up, we'd rather have 100 CDs in our basement that we can't get rid of than paying extra money so we could have 600 that we can't get rid of. You really need to think about that sort of thing before you decide on printing up 1000 pieces.

Once the CD started selling, we put that money into the band account. Once the account was big enough, the band paid everybody back. Now, all future sales, as well as our gig money, etc., is sufficient that when we go to print up our next batch of CDs (which will be our second album), we will just take that out of band money. We won't have to dig into our own pockets again.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
More importantly, the label also promotes, markets, and distributes your band through well-established and well-connected infrastructures within the industry in return for a share in the profits.

Here's what we did:

We each kicked in $300 (four-piece band) for manufacturing of 500 CDs. That included full-colour artwork (four panels on the front card - two full-colour and two b+w; and a full colour back tray-card, and a full colour printed disk), shrink wrap, and bar coding. With the extra money, we got some stickers made up.

Although it would have cost us only another $200 to get an extra 500 printed up, we'd rather have 100 CDs in our basement that we can't get rid of than paying extra money so we could have 600 that we can't get rid of. You really need to think about that sort of thing before you decide on printing up 1000 pieces.

Once the CD started selling, we put that money into the band account. Once the account was big enough, the band paid everybody back. Now, all future sales, as well as our gig money, etc., is sufficient that when we go to print up our next batch of CDs (which will be our second album), we will just take that out of band money. We won't have to dig into our own pockets again.

CT

That's really good. Where did you get it so cheap?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
A company called hypnotic duplication. check www.hypnoticduplication.com for more info. It is run by a guy named Tom Tremeuth, who was a big producer in the '80's, doing groups like Helix and Honeymoon Suite. He went on to artist management, doing groups like Kazzer and representing a small label.

They were VERY helpful every step of the way, too. I can't recommend them enough. We had so many problems with the artwork, and Tom referred us to their guy in St. Catherine's who was a HUGE help and got us sorted. The product came back (they go through Sony manufacturing) and looked as professional as any Sony product.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
A company called hypnotic duplication. check www.hypnoticduplication.com for more info. It is run by a guy named Tom Tremeuth, who was a big producer in the '80's, doing groups like Helix and Honeymoon Suite. He went on to artist management, doing groups like Kazzer and representing a small label.

They were VERY helpful every step of the way, too. I can't recommend them enough. We had so many problems with the artwork, and Tom referred us to their guy in St. Catherine's who was a HUGE help and got us sorted. The product came back (they go through Sony manufacturing) and looked as professional as any Sony product.

CT

Thanks man. We were going to go with this guy through Musicians Friend but he seems better.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Great! As I say... very highly recommended. When we do our second CD, who we go with for duplication will be a total non-issue.

CT

Yeah the people we were going to go with were way more of a rip off. It was $50.00 for shrink wrapping and $30.00 for bar codes.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap