Hope this isnt violating an thread rules or anything, im a newb to UG. Some might think this is stupid n all, but im 14 n on a budget. So, my first guitar build is gonna be a plywood body(kuz i go all out) and the top is actually gonna be a mini 12" x 12" stop sign with a screw on each angle. I plan on just 1 humbucker at the bridge but some fairly intricate wiring (IMO). I want some form of these options: a volume control, a kill switch, a coil tap, and a sustain switch(optional). THe humbucker will have to be covered kuz i plan to paint red over it and white where any text is cut out. Im pretty cheap so I'm using an old starcaster neck (meaning a 25.5 scale length). Again, this is my first build and im fairly newbie at woodwork and a bumbling fool with wiring, so all help would be appreciated. Especially in wiring!

and heres all the same info again on blogspot: Stop Sign Guitar Blog
go for it man! the only thing that is off is I don't know how you'd go about adding a sustain switch, theres no way you could wire a pickup to have a simple switch add sustain, you'd need a sustainer built into it, which usually occupies one of the pickup routes in a guitar. other than that, i'd suggest having a mini 3-way switch for series-parallel-split on the humbucker.
sustain switch?
plywood?

do yourself a favor, google project guitar and check out their tutorials on guitar building, or go get a guitar building book.

no offense, but you seem to have no clue.

just route out the stop sign so you can bolt it on, then cut off the wood that is still showing
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I agree with conor1148... read a lot before you do anything; books, websites, threads, just so you know exactly what you are doing. And plywood guitars can sound just fine, I love my ply Epi SG and it sounds great thru my crate V18. But other than that have fun you'll learn a lot
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Hey only sustainer switch out there is Fernandes Sustainer. No offence conor, but sustain switches do exist, he does not know just how they are called. It comes with a kit: a circuitboard to miniswitchs a pot and a pickup, but costs 200 quid.
Quote by divinorum69
Hey only sustainer switch out there is Fernandes Sustainer. No offence conor, but sustain switches do exist, he does not know just how they are called. It comes with a kit: a circuitboard to miniswitchs a pot and a pickup, but costs 200 quid.

i knew they existed, ive been reading up on building one for a while, but there is no drop in switch that automatically sustains.

if he had said "sustainer kit" i wouldnt have thought twice about it
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by divinorum69

Are they £200? or $200? 'cause Quid=£.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For he pickup I'm looking at some uber cheap stuff:
EMG Select
Its probly horrible, but again, im on a budget and i can replace it with a better 1 when i get some more money.

Yah, i have no problem with plywood either, i was just attempting to avoid any flaming at the statement.

And the sustain switch was just a cool idea, it would just be an "if i could do it cheap" thing, thanks for the schematic diagrams, and thanks for all the responses.
Last edited by blindsagacity at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by blindsagacity
Yah, i have no problem with plywood either, i was just attempting to avoid any flaming at the statement.

And the sustain switch was just a cool idea, it would just be an "if i could do it cheap" thing, and thanks for all the responses.

if only a fernandez sustainer could be cheap...

and yes i know i can make one.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

head to guitarfetish.com and check out the GFS pickups. not the greatest quality, but cheap, and decent. from there you can also buy stuff like the bridge.
the coil tap and kill switch are reasonably simple things to include, both of them involve just cutting power/grounding, and there are hundreds of guides on how to do this online. for coil tapping, make sure you get a humbucker with a 4 wire configuration, instead of 2(as some do have). you can coil tap a 2 wire one, but that requires more modification to the humbucker itself, and is far more difficult.
*edit*
also, i'm with the people who say forget the sustainer. it's not for someone on a plywood body budget, and for a first build you need to try and keep it relatively simple.