Alright we need a bass for band tracks (i am having to play bass for the foreseeable future)

I was using a cheap bass kind of like the sting bass but cheap and farty sounding. I put it through my torque 100w amp and then through ampeg plugins but it still sounds crap. We dont just want a thump we need more treble and mids otherwise the sound is too muddy and the bass should be heard.

I have a really bad precision bass..jim deacon about 30 quid. If i put thick strings on it would this give me more body and tone? i like roger waters precision sound.
Last edited by Andr00 at Dec 26, 2008,
Your gonna need a bass amp to get a good bass sound. Try renting one, if thats possible, or borrow one from a friend. Otherwise, try to get a VST bass plug-in you can program as you need it.
i hope that torque amp isnt an electric guitar amp!?!!
bass guitars can break them if you are not careful. and they also sound like **** through them so that could be your problem.

if you are looking for a bright mid range and treble rich sound, i suggest you do the following:

1. use a bass amp with a 4x10 cab.
2. use some brand new medium/light guage strings everytime you record (preferably rotosounds or elite stadiums)
3. play with a plectrum for more attack

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
a 2x10 would suffice really. really you could plug the bass directly into whatever you're recording and probably get a better sound than through you're guitar amp.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
a 2x10 would suffice really. really you could plug the bass directly into whatever you're recording and probably get a better sound than through you're guitar amp.

this.

also, playing closer to the bridge will add further treble and mids, and using a pick will add a click that was very useful for early studio bassists, and indeed, was part of the downfall of tic tac studio bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by qotsa1998
Your gonna need a bass amp to get a good bass sound. Try renting one, if thats possible, or borrow one from a friend. Otherwise, try to get a VST bass plug-in you can program as you need it.

its not a guitar amp its a bass amp and as i stated i have a vst bass plugin ampeg to boost the tones. its a decent amp just the bass is crap so wondered how to best get a decent sound.