Currently I'm looking at getting a new amp, I thought about making my own cabinet and buying a head. I was thinking of a 2x12 Cabinet.

What materials would I need? Where would I get them? and How much will it cost are the questions I need answered.

Is it a good idea or should I just buy a Combo amp instead? Also with the head what are some good ones for around 400-500 AUD? The cheapest I've seen are Behringer ones for $400.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by PainIsPower
There is a search function.

Yeah there is... why don't you use it to look for a life, asshole. its a damn guitar website, I'd like to think someone in need of information CONCERNING GUITARS could log in and post a question, don't you think so?

Now TS, I hate to say it, but I can't help you as I don't have much experience other than my shop class at school. But I wish you luck
Quote by whatadrag
Yeah there is... why don't you use it to look for a life, asshole. its a damn guitar website, I'd like to think someone in need of information CONCERNING GUITARS could log in and post a question, don't you think so?

Now TS, I hate to say it, but I can't help you as I don't have much experience other than my shop class at school. But I wish you luck

Your just flaming people. Your even worse then the other guy. Dip****....
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by whatadrag

Lol, if he would of used the search function he would of found plenty of other threads asking the exact same thing, including several build threads which answer all his questions.

Happy Holidays.
Woah Woah guys, no need for this

IMO it depends what you want from an amp, if your going practice / small gig id go for a combo, an ashdown is my wepon of choice
Quote by whatadrag

I will just lol and run away HAHAHAHHA, you made it worse than the guy you are TRYING to diss, who by the way was in the correct here...

TS:

There is ALOT of info inside the GB&C Resources thread, between them i will help you out to point out some ;D

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8621768&postcount=4

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8621795&postcount=5

I think this all you would need for now, hehe any other thing you need help with just shout it!~
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
calm down kiddies.

anyways, id stay away from lower end behringer combo amps, i have one and even though it has a thick full sound the tone sucks.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
calm down kiddies.

anyways, id stay away from lower end behringer combo amps, i have one and even though it has a thick full sound the tone sucks.

Oh yah, btw, he wants to build, not buy.

Quote by Line6
Oh yah, btw, he wants to build, not buy.

read the bottom of his post,

"Is it a good idea or should I just buy a Combo amp instead?"

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I like the build idea more hehe, i am making the same while working of some remodeling projects hehe.

id love to build a cabinet and buy a head for it, but have no clue where to even begin.

oh well! ill just watch you guys do it instead
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

If you follow the silly steps on the links i posted you will know using common sense in about 10 minutes at most hehe.

It's a simple wire-speaker-wire-speaker-jack things and then put it in a wooden box and that's it hehe.

Im bulding a cabinet and buying a head. I'm asking if it would be better off to buy a Peavey vypyr or should I buy a head and build cab?

EDIT: So basically all I need is some wood, speakers, drill, saw, screws and some wires?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by PainIsPower
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=53&announcementid=113

Rule 1 for Drag, 2 and 3 for Brad. Drag will have fun being reported anyways.

Anyways, I would suggest building. It is more fun, do your self a favor and use boards instead, it makes things a lot easier because all you have to do is cut them to length.

I used the search function, I didn't find anything. My last topic I made was hijacked by Line6.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
Im bulding a cabinet and buying a head. I'm asking if it would be better off to buy a Peavey vypyr or should I buy a head and build cab?

EDIT: So basically all I need is some wood, speakers, drill, saw, screws and some wires?

Yes, I built a 2x12 and it really does sound nice. Heavy as ****, but sounds nice and I can jump on it like a madman without doing any damage. I'd recommend getting casters, too.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Make a full stack 2 4x12s! YAH! No im only kiding. I think you should go nuts and build a cabinet, cause if it works then you have you feel like youve accomplished something ... simply because you did... and braging rights are wicked. Ive never built a cabinet or amp, i always thought i might just cause my halfstack is a bit loud. but yah Cost depends probably a lot on the wood you wanna put it in and the speakers. I think most of the cost would be from the speakers themselves. You coul probably get some speakers from here. I imagine they would work, then you just got to attach them to a jack with proper gauged wires i would thing. and make sure you have your Amp heads ohms set right accordingly to the speakers. Anyways i would definatly just make one for the experiance alone.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I'm having a problem with speakers. No guitar shops near me have speakers, the only place that sells them are places like Alberts, Repco and Super Cheap Auto. Can I use speakers from car stereo shops or would I need to keep looking around or buy on ebay?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Maybe it is better to buy specified ones for this matter, others might sound good for a while but after that they would come dull fast. And how is it that i hijacked your thread? 0.o

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547959

If you bothered to check the sticky on the top, there is information in there as well as a link to a cabinet tutorial. Post 11/12 specifically. Also if you bothered searching cabinet tutorial with earnest the same link shows up in there. You question regarding car speakers is also answered in the tutorial.

And Line6 your thread wasn't jacked, people just lost interest in the thread, found here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1030177&highlight=cabinet
You should build one! There's some info in my thread (in my sig) but I made my cab kinda stupidly so don't build it exactly how I did.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
sorry to threadjack but..

lets say i really dont know alot about tube amps, would it be a good idea for me to buy a tube head and make the cabinet myself?

i have alot of wiring/wood working experience (making things like shelves and such)
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Tube amps aren't hard to work. The only difference is that you have to keep it on standby for about a minute before you start playing. If you have good wood working experience then building the cabinet should be a piece of cake and save you a lot of money.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
Tube amps aren't hard to work. The only difference is that you have to keep it on standby for about a minute before you start playing. If you have good wood working experience then building the cabinet should be a piece of cake and save you a lot of money.

this may sound dumb but..

how does a head connect to a cabinet? and how are they powered? are they powered together or seperate?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
this may sound dumb but..

how does a head connect to a cabinet? and how are they powered? are they powered together or seperate?

All the cab need is a jack, the speakers will work depending on the head sooooo. Take it like in this pic.

Just wire the speakers, get a jack and wire to them and get some wooden "things" and make a box to put it and y'all done with the cab hehe. (Btw, that pic is a in series connection just in case you don't know hehe).

When you connect them, the speaker power up. They don't need any sort of electricity (Thank God). But the head does and if it's a tube one as someone already said all you would need is to wait the standard for the head to warm up and that hehe.