Learn to read music - if you want to write music and you refuse to learn to read notation you are a slobbish heathen. Wanting to compose and not learning notation is like learning to write without learning the alphabet. You absolutely need to if you wish to interpret music!

give up the obsession with speed - if you are a guitar player who can play 16th notes at 130 bpm and you cant read music or you do not understand how the notes you are playing relate to the harmony and you have no idea how to craft a coherent melody you are a bad musician with messed up priories! I see this all the time!

If you are a guitar player and you
-cant read music
-do everything "by ear"

you need to shape up! Unless you are happy with being a slobbish muscian that will earn the scorn of all respectable music players of the world. Its shocking how pathetically lazy the guitar players are as a whole. Bleugh!
Successful Troll is Successful.

Although I condone learning to read music, there are other ways to compose, and you don't need to be elitist about it. There are plenty of people who create good music without knowing how to read it. These days, it's purely a notational device.

Also... 16ths are 130 bpm, fast? Lol. If you're gonna insult shredders, why not actually give proper statistics.

You must not be good at guitar or music in general.
A tip for you, learn how to spell sausage...
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
lol your quite the snoooty snob mr. sausage.

Although i completely agree learning to read music and learning your music theory is a good thing you killed your entire arguement by bashing playing by ear, that is a immensley valuable skill i would say even more soo then reading music.

I'm pretty sure hendrix didnt read notation, and he was a phenominal musician and guitarist (yeah both of those)

and "respectable musicians"? B**** please, that's just plain ignant
Quote by one vision

Also... 16ths are 130 bpm, fast? Lol. If you're gonna insult shredders, why not actually give proper statistics.

You must not be good at guitar or music in general.

Bwahah.. you clearly misinterpreted my point you imbecile. 4 notes per beat at an allegro tempo is quite fast, and I don't mean fast in terms of your dick waving masturbatory finger workouts, I mean in terms of musical effectiveness. If you feel the need to go beyond that tempo you better be an incredible musician because you are spending a lot of time on something that has great diminishing returns in terms of musical effectiveness!
Quote by polish sausege
Bwahah.. you clearly misinterpreted my point you imbecile. 4 notes per beat at an allegro tempo is quite fast, and I don't mean fast in terms of your dick waving masturbatory finger workouts, I mean in terms of musical effectiveness. If you feel the need to go beyond that tempo you better be an incredible musician because you are spending a lot of time on something that has great diminishing returns in terms of musical effectiveness!

Allegro? Beat? Urrr, u 2 smart 4 us...
Quote by polish sausege

post some of your musical brilliance for us oh greasy one
Quote by AbombO.S.
lol your quite the snoooty snob mr. sausage.

Although i completely agree learning to read music and learning your music theory is a good thing you killed your entire arguement by bashing playing by ear, that is a immensley valuable skill i would say even more soo then reading music.

I'm pretty sure hendrix didnt read notation, and he was a phenominal musician and guitarist (yeah both of those)

and "respectable musicians"? B**** please, that's just plain ignant

I did not bash playing by ear, only excluding other studies in favor of a purely "by ear" approach
ITT free lectures from a self-proclaimed musical genius.
Quote by ravioli123

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
Ugh, an idiot...

Having a good ear is necessary to being a great musician. How else are you going to know what sounds good? Writing music in standard notation is optional, but not necessary.

And regarding speed... Listen to some Bach before you talk about putting down shredders.

Sorry, I'm currently in a Bach obsession this month...

And playing by ear can be difficult for many, especially moi, even when facing chords. It's a great technique to have.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
I know how tempos work, thanks.

If you consider that fast on a guitar, then your technique is not up to par yet.

Just for the sake of bragging, and making you feel bad, I can play 16 notes at 176 bpm with chromatic scales, and approximately 188 with legato scale passages, which is laughable compared to some other regulars here.

Cleanly.

And typically, I'm not one to criticize language, but clean it up, or you'll risk a warning/ban.
Quote by polish sausege

weeoo weeoo crying *tear tear*

grow up/get a life/get laid
and dont even say you do get laid because "dick waving masturbatory finger workouts" that really states otherwise
Quote by one vision
I know how tempos work, thanks.

If you consider that fast on a guitar, then your technique is not up to par yet.

Just for the sake of bragging, and making you feel bad, I can play 16 notes at 176 bpm with chromatic scales, and approximately 188 with legato scale passages, which is laughable compared to some other regulars here.

Cleanly.

And typically, I'm not one to criticize language, but clean it up, or you'll risk a warning/ban.

And what exactly makes musical notation so much better than tablature? They're both just ways of representing music. It's great if you can read both, but it doesn't make you any less of a musician if you can't. There are fantastic musicians all over the world that can't read either of them.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Quote by MeltedMetal
There are fantastic musicians all over the world that can't read either of them.

No there arent.
Quote by polish sausege
No there arent.

Blind bluesmen from the Mississippi Delta.

/argument
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
okay two things,

1. Either your total cocky piece of fecal matter

or

2. This is your idea of a joke

in both cases you need to spend some alone time (and not the kind where you exercise your fingers there mister) and think about your life and figure out why your such a sauswage
Would you like to answer my post with original content?

I'll understand if you don't.

Anyways. Edit your posts.

Quote by polish sausege
If you feel the need to go beyond that tempo you better be an incredible musician because you are spending a lot of time on something that has great diminishing returns in terms of musical effectiveness!

This is just a stupid statement. I'm sorry. Tempo has nothing to do with complexity.

Lrn2music
Quote by polish sausege
No there arent.

Yes there are, and they also know how not to double post...
Quote by ravioli123

joe satriani is a faggot for sueing coldplay. that song was an abhorrant piece of cheesy **** and i would be ashamed if I wrote it